The season gets started.

It is all go now as 2017 season gets going.

Had 917 out at Brands Hatch(Indy circuit) last week to run in rebuilt engine, following its "nasty" at Silverstone last year, and to test her out in readiness for the GP circuit race in a couple of weeks. Although everything ran up in workshop OK, I did have concerns about the noise testing at Brands which is stringent !! Miracle of miracles, it passed ..... again.
Fingers crossed that she will behave on the GP circuit and get through unscathed, as it is a capacity grid(45), mainly of monster V8 engined beasts !!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1665.jpg
    IMG_1665.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 671
  • IMG_1672.jpg
    IMG_1672.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 619
  • IMG_1367.jpg
    IMG_1367.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 642
Hello
congrats for the shakedown and good luck for your first race !
let us be informed when you come back

Bon courage !!

Graham,

if you were racing on looks alone, the race would be over before it started! About the sexist car ever...

FYI I sent you a PM if you have a second.

Tom

I'm with Tom. Great looking car! Good Luck to you for the season. Would love to hear this car in anger on the track. Hint Hint.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Gotta LOVE the 917!

Isn't it the only car (other than one of the McLaren street cars) that positions the driver in the center? I've often wondered why they didn't all do that! I could understand for races where a navigator is necessary, but most of the racing I recall being done by the GT40s was on a closed racetrack...no need for a second seat there!

Must have had something to do with the regulations...congrats on meeting the noise requirements AGAIN!

Cheers!

Doug

Hello
congrats for the shakedown and good luck for your first race !
let us be informed when you come back

Bon courage !!

Michel,

it is definitely NOT my first race. That was in 1969 and I,ve lost count of how many I,ve done since then.
It is not even the 917 first race. That was at Spa in September 2005.

This is, however, the first race for her on the "GP" circuit at Brands. It is not used so much as the shorter "Indy" circuit which I and the 917 have been on many times.

Michel,

just a picture for you from a previous race at Brands Hatch, going into the "Druids" hairpin.

Attachments

• Graham's Porsche 917K (1).jpg
    Graham's Porsche 917K (1).jpg
    387.8 KB · Views: 960
Ouuupssssss very very nice !!!
look terrific !!!!!:thumbsup:
Many thanks

Unfortunatly for me no plans to run with 907/8 yet !!!

Good luck for the race

Qualifying and the race were somewhat frought and I managed to finish intact, but it was not an experience I wish to repeat in a 917 ever again.

It was wet, with a capital W for the race itself, which had to be red flagged prematurely as cars were falling off the track and the heavens had opened up with rain and hail of biblical proportions.

A motorsport photographer captured a fantastic atmospheric picture of the 917 though, but I just cannot download it for you to see, as I think it has too many KB, MB or thingamydo,s and keeps on being rejected. I,m not really into computer details, but I know that most of you are.

How do I reduce its "size", or can I send it to someone who can re post on here. I think you will want to see it.

Thanks in advance.

Glenn M

Supporter
Select the picture in your file on your computer. Click on the email option and you will be given the option of resizing it before it is attached to your email. Then simply send it to yourself.
When it arrives just 'save as' a different file name and voila!

It is all go now as 2017 season gets going.

Had 917 out at Brands Hatch(Indy circuit) last week to run in rebuilt engine, following its "nasty" at Silverstone last year, and to test her out in readiness for the GP circuit race in a couple of weeks. Although everything ran up in workshop OK, I did have concerns about the noise testing at Brands which is stringent !! Miracle of miracles, it passed ..... again.
Fingers crossed that she will behave on the GP circuit and get through unscathed, as it is a capacity grid(45), mainly of monster V8 engined beasts !!!!!

If only you could fit a V8 in a 917???? :lipsrsealed:

Graham, I'm sure I'm one of many hoping you get the photo uploaded for us all to see as the 917 is one of the most photogenic cars ever made. The pic in post #8 is a classic 917 "pose" right down to your choice of wearing a period correct balaclava! (ala McQueen)

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
It was wet, with a capital W for the race itself, which had to be red flagged prematurely as cars were falling off the track and the heavens had opened up with rain and hail of biblical proportions.

Why any auto/motorcycle race - sanctioned or otherwise - is allowed to run in the rain at all is beyond me. Common sense alone - not to mention at least a casual familiarity with the laws of motion and physics - should dictate doing otherwise.

Many choose to 'look down their nose' at NASCAR, but, say whatever else one might, it's one of a precious few racing organizations smart enough to stop a race the instant the 1st drop of H2O hits the track.

JMPO. YPOMV.

Graham, I'm sure I'm one of many hoping you get the photo uploaded for us all to see as the 917 is one of the most photogenic cars ever made. The pic in post #8 is a classic 917 "pose" right down to your choice of wearing a period correct balaclava! (ala McQueen)

Jimmy P.
I always wear two facial protection pieces of fire protection, due to the cars vunerability. One is a full balaclava, the other is a "tube" type to give extra neck and lower face coverage. It is pure coincidence that it looks McQueenish, but was a common sight in older times anyway. I do race for Gulf Oil UK, and the GT40 and 917 are used for publicity by them. The 40 was in the Gulf sponsored main entrance at the Forecourt show last month, then out with the 917 at this Brands Hatch race 4 days later, and other events are continually lining up.

I have tried and tried to download this picture, but I am just not computer savvy enough to get anywhere with it. It really is an amazing and evocative shot that has been captured in a second by this motorsport photographer and I am desperate to share it all with you fellow 917 enthusiasts

Back