Canada/NZ TVR

Thought some of you older members might enjoy an Up Date pic of the TVR, It has been running in Classic series for over 15 years now, 13 of those on the same engine & just finished this season with 8 wins I think. In that time its managed to fail a roller lifter ( due to error in setting valve lash ), dropped one exh valve ( due to minor machining difference of keeper groove on valve stem that allowed rocker to contact valve retainer, that's what you get for trying to be kind and giving it a new set of valves-had to chuck the old ones back in during an all nighter ) and spun a rod bearing with initial wet sump. Its had a few prangs during that time, but not enough to kill it. Have not worked on it myself since 2012, health issue slowed me up for a while. Credit for pic to Phil Dickie from NZ.

Attachments

• 28166611_382527298824028_1631275396268546201_n.jpg
    28166611_382527298824028_1631275396268546201_n.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 347

Ron Earp

Admin
In that time its managed to fail a roller lifter ( due to error in setting valve lash ), dropped one exh valve ( due to minor machining difference of keeper groove on valve stem that allowed rocker to contact valve retainer, .

TVR race cars are always cool. What engine is it running? Interested to see if the new TVR will be racing with the Coyote engine. Reports are they will.

We just discovered a very similar situation with a roller rocker hitting a retainer on one of our V6 tear downs. It was only one valve, but I suspect the way it was adjusted for wipe pattern was incorrect and allowed contact. It wasn't audible though, and, if it had continued would have eventually failed .

Its a Dart Alloy block ( 4.125" Bore) with crank from 331 stroker & 185 AFR heads ~346 cu in, 4bbl, cam is a 1of to my specs & runs up to 7800 limiter ( conservative ).
Was meant to be 4" bore but a stuff up @ Dart or the Canadian end meant the blocks got swapped before being shipped, which meant a delay having 4.125 pistons made & more all nighters! Never been on a dyno, don't know & don't care! Since it was intended to be 331 before block mix up the 185 heads are probably a tad small & headers could do to be one pipe size larger, but who cares, its doing the business...
Interesting story from dropped valve, did not damage piston much, but as I get sets of 10 made for engines like this we just put another in, BUT we could not find the exh valve head for a while, it was not in exh system. Found it stuck in #5 intake port and it had punched a hole into adjacent pushrod hole on its way from #4 so a quick trip back to my shop @ 2am to fit a small sleeve into the pushrod hole + epoxy Had a short conversation with the law wondering how fast I was going & why! Got back to Greg's shop, sent him to bed & Frank & I finished it about 6am.

Back