Using Raised Exhaust Port Heads

I am planning on using Canfield aluminum heads. However, the exhaust ports are raised .400. How will this affect the fit of the bundle of snakes exhaust?

Thanks
Bill D

Ron McCall

Supporter
Bill,
I had a set of 180s on my Pantera a few years ago that were made for the stock 351 Cleveland port location.I added a set of "High Port" Cleveland heads (port location raised 1.2") and they didn't fit at all. I finally cut the headers in the middle( where they cross over) and added spacers.It worked out well.
IMHO you should look into a set of AFR heads.A set of their 185s should be perfect for your stroker .
Later,
Ron

Thanks Ron. I'll take a look. But I was wanting 54cc chambers to make 11:1 compression. The 58CC heads lowers the compression to 10.5:1

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Bill -

I have 3 sets of Canfields, and they work very well, more inline with the AFR205 if ported well (a little less flow on the intake side of things), great exhaust ports. The ports are raised .400, but the header will only go up .200" Now will that be a problem on a car with a lot of room, probabally not, they were a problem on the 65 mustang with stock headers, would not fit. Also look out for head bolts/stud interferance between headers (flanges too). Make sure if using studs that you use use 12pt nuts and that will eliminate any issue.

On a GT40 with Crossover exhaust might be a bigger issue since the I'll bet the .200 raise will also make the headers further apart (L/R). Since tubes cross over might be a problem, not sure. I thought about this too, but not a problem if Fran is going to do the header work. Also if you want an easy job and clean exhaust port, use the wide (3" I think) 'Outer holes' for the header flange bolts. Also keep in mind that only a couple of head use that pattern if you are thinking about switching to say AFR or Edelbrock down the road.

I also mentioned this in another thread, but Canfield oem's the heads to Ford Performance Solutions in Anaheim, CA as the 'AVENGER' series. They are the same except the very loud AVENGER Logo tattoo-ed on the ends. One set was ported by them the other 2 by Total Engine Airflow (Kentucky). The FPS heads flows a bit better, but not by much. I think they all use the same CNC program.

I have chatted with John at Canfield a few times, very helpful with any info needed. Also the 54cc heads are the 58cc milled a bit. I found this out when they polish the chambers it increases the volume a bit, and I asked why don't you start with the 54cc head and be closer to target, and they said, then your heads would be milled twice (From T.E.A.).

If you need some piston numbers for 12.8:1 331 for those heads I have them at ROSS. They do a nice job and are local. I'm pretty sure it is the same as twisted wedge heads in anycase but you should make sure your pistons are OK for these heads.

HTH with all the extra chatter!

Sandy

Ron Earp

Admin
Shave the heads Bill, save yourself a lot of trouble with the raised post heads. You may have to relief your valves but since you are building the motor just choose pistons with proper relief. I don't know what Canfields cost, but I know AFRs work, little if anything beats them, and they are worth the money.

R

Thanks everyone. Since I really don't want to deal with custom fir headers, the AFR185's seem to be the best fit. If I have the heads milled .012, deck the block for .001 clearance, and use the Fel-Pro .039 compressed head gasket, my compression is till 10.784 (static)) and 9.3 dynamic.

I'm using the Ford X cam (.542/.542 lift, 228/228º duration @ .050) and 48 IDA Webers. This should make a healthy engine with nice street manners but still have enough grunt do well with an occassional outing at Willow Springs.

How does this combination sound?

Thnaks
Bill D

Ron Earp

Admin
Sounds just like my old one! If you need a X303 I have a new one for sale, brand new, was in my engine but just removed for this other one I have. Never run, also have some roller rockers and lifters if you need them.

Ron

Sandy,

Thanks for the link to Total Engine Airflow. I looked at every head they listed (ford and Chevy), did not find one head that out flows a Yates head (which I have) BB or SB. Cool, so thats how Keith at Keith Craft makes 750 to 800 HP with a Big small block ford. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
I think Keith's engines may have something to do with the 15:1 compression /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

For his the 750hp 408/421 he uses the Edelbrock Victor's and for the 850hp 427 I think it was Brodix.

In any case can't argure with airflow if you have the Cubes or RPM to use it. The interesting thing about the Yates head is the Intakes flow big, but look at the exhaust and the are about the same or lower as most of the other
high end heads (Canfield, Victor's, AFR's). Not sure how that works in the greater scheme of things as they make CrAzY Power in properely set up engine combinations.

And Richard, don't think that I didn't consider the Yates heads /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Just a bit different then most of the other old ford crap (intakes, headers, etc) that I have floating around, trying to at least keep the spare parts bin somewhat reusable across projects!

Sandy

Back