Finally!!!

Chris Kouba

Supporter
RCR chassis #31 = (will be) MINE!!!

Ordered about 3wks ago (is that ALL?!?!) and chomping anxiously at the bit to see it materialize (just ask Fran).

I can safely say that NEVER did I ever think I'd get one of these into my garage but thanks to Fran (thanks Fran), his business, and Ron and this forum (thanks Ron) it looks like it's going to actually happen. I look forward to further tapping into the knowledge here and doing what I can to contribute.

Plans call for a simple, modest build- no flares, 15" wheels, mild SBF w/ZF. I am preparing it (at least mentally) to be used in competition so I ordered it with fuel bladders too. I can't wait... I can't even SLEEP!

For those keeping track at home, Fran and I are talking about a completed kit in early December. That math works out to ~10wks. It's gonna be a MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

Yah-HOOOO!!!!!

Best to all!
Chris

Congratulations. Fran is currently building me a T70 with fuel bladders also.

Did you decide to go with a full roll cage for competition as well?

Will you be right hand drive or left hand drive?

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
Well it's about damn time. :)

Congrats, Chris. You'll be okay for the next 3 or 4 weeks, but those last few weeks will be just plain painful as you stare at the calendar and perform that mental countdown until the big day.

If memory serves, the last time we went for a ride together you had a fairly heavy right foot. Before your car is finished, you may want to rethink that strategy when you're in the GT and on city streets...

Couldn't be happier for you, bud. Merry Christmas indeed.

T.

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Thanks guys.

crossle43 said:
Well it's about damn time. :)

Yeah Tim, no one knows that more than me! I know we had a good time on our last ride together but I will be tip-toeing around town in this one to start with. I am SO anxious to get it and get it built...

Peter- I am trying to work with the local NASA guys for competition stuff. The discussions I've had so far seem to indicate they're open to the sponson tanks with the bladders in it. Regarding the cage, I want to get some (or at least one) of the tech inspectors to see the chassis and review my plans for the cage prior to finalizing building one. With them touching the chassis and providing input to the design, I am hoping it'll get the seal of approval for any deviations (like needing door bars) from their CCR's. I am moving slowly with them but it doesn't seem insurmountable.

And it'll be LHD.

Can't wait for Christmas... Tim, I don't know how you're working only on the house. That is self-restraint my friend.

Cheers!

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Congrats Chris! It doesn't hurt until you see the first pictures of it coming together, then it gets painful :)

Sandy

Thanks Chris. Good news that NASA is ok with the tank location as long as bladders are used. I'll be anxious to hear what they say regarding the roll bar regs. Fran is including a cage in my roller. Hopefully that will be good enough.

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Sandy said:
Congrats Chris! It doesn't hurt until you see the first pictures of it coming together, then it gets painful :)

Sandy

Oh seriously, it's painful enough already. It occupies a LOT of my mind's free time- especially since he's got another one almost identical to mine (except RHD) in his shop. He hasn't sent the pics yet but that might be a good thing...

I have an empty trailer in my driveway and a long block sitting in my garage. The motor will start to occupy my nervous energy for now and I will have the trans hopefully a little bit before the chassis so I can work on sticking it to the motor and clutch.

I am incredibly anxious to get working on it!

A big congrats to you on your choice. You won't be disappointed. If we can be any help, just drop any of us early builders a line

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Thanks gents, though I must say I feel pressure to do justice with my build- not just for my own finished product but to uphold the standards I've seen with your builds and the others on the forum. I am particularly in awe of the scratch builders who start with nothing and end up with something gorgeous and functional. It's amazing to me.

I don't have the patience to engineer everything out from scratch and really like the package Fran has put together so it seems pretty natural. I'll have enough to do installing the driveline, getting it to shift, solving the fuel system, wiring the beast, and that whole bodywork thing that it makes sense for me. I also probably don't possess 10% of the necessary fab skills either... I'd hate to see what my panels would look like!!

Anyway, it'll be a rather modest build- I'm planning on just buffing out the gelcoat at this point. All I want is that shape, with that sound (and all the handling and performance) in a stable, running, reliable package as quickly as possible. I want to drive the wheels off it!!

I also want to put some stripes on it though, as a plain white GT might look a little too plain, so I am thinking of some vinyl ones until I can get a proper paint job down the line (too much pressure to try to match yours Ron- and Jonathan S- Your spray job/color choice looks GORGEOUS!!). I am also really looking forward to tinkering with cars again!

Bill - I'm sure I'll be pinging you and everyone else for info as well, but thanks for the open invite. I keep checking your site for updates. You do a great job of documenting it there.

Later!

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Chris
No longer Mr Underskore? Well certainly not and I am sure you willdo a great job.

If items are needed from this side of the pond let me know

Ian

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
Hey Chris..
From one RCR owner to another..... congrats and welcome to the club. This years Christmas anticipation will be one you haven't felt since you were wanting the new AFX track (or fill in your childhood toy of choice) when you were a kid.

Alex Hirsbrunner

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Chris, Fran

Congrats on the purchase! Can you share any details on the bladders (like capacity, cost ect.)? They were not available from RCR at the time my car was built (#24).

Any opinions on the chance for a retrofit given the appropriate amount of cutting?

Thanks,

Al

ahirsbrunner said:
Congrats on the purchase! Can you share any details on the bladders (like capacity, cost ect.)?

I'd also love to hear more. Fran just keeps rewarding patience. Not that I have any. I can only imagine the anticipation of delivery!

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
ahirsbrunner said:
Hi Chris, Fran

Congrats on the purchase! Can you share any details on the bladders (like capacity, cost ect.)? They were not available from RCR at the time my car was built (#24).

Any opinions on the chance for a retrofit given the appropriate amount of cutting?

Thanks,

Al

Al - I think our tanks have a bunch of baffles in them, not sure how difficult or if possible to get them out for a bladder. Fran would have to comment on that. I wouldn't mind knowing as well.

Sandy

Regarding the fuel bladders, the ones for my RCR 70 are being custom made by Fuel Safe at a cost of $1300 to $1500 per bladder. My understanding was that Fran had ordered three pairs of the bladders. I don't think he would need that many for his 70 replicas so it may be that the same design would work for the 40.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Sorry Gents,

the chassis has to be built to accept the bladders from the start.

I can use the same bladders for all the RCR models as the tanks are similar size.

We are in the process of building four cars with the FIA FT3 bladders.

Hope this helps..

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks for the info Fran.

I think my idea was just pull the pass seat and bolt in a cell, I'm not sure if legal in sanctioned (NASA, SCCA, etc) events, but I don't plan on doing any sanctioned racing, so not a huge deal. Likely an oversite at this point but what can you do.

Sandy

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Sorry guys, been away for a little while but it looks like Fran's already filled in the gaps regarding the cells.

I have a long block in the garage now and will start making progress on it next week.

And yes Rob, I still have (somewhere at my parent's house) my AFX set with the yellow and blue 917. I am SO looking forward to Dec!

Cheers!

Back