SL Roadster sketches...

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
A couple of ideas ....

We are already in the build stage of the parts but I wanted you guys to have a quick look at a couple of our ideas......

Attachments

• slr1 (Small).jpg
    slr1 (Small).jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 928
  • slr3 (Small).jpg
    slr3 (Small).jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 912

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Put the headlights under the front wing - somehow it reminds me of a pair of Groucho glasses right now - but I have to tell you I ABSOLUTELY LOVE the concept!!!

istockphoto_178163_groucho_marx_glasses_front.jpg

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
ROFLMAO...

The lights were just a quickie and are not production..but they have to be 24 inches from the ground for legality issues with the DOT.

make it a single headlight that is built into that center curve. and the turn signals should ride on top of the fenders, by using led light bars.

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
I think it looks GREAT!! I do like the dual bubble a little better than the single. The lights look ok, but I'd incorporate them into the body somehow somewhere up towards the windscreen a little closer. Just as raised bumps with projectors in them? The fenders look pretty good but I'd leave the front part of the front fenders off and bring the rear part around a little more. But this is all my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions... All this being said, I know it's going to be an insane car and I'm saving for one RIGHT NOW!!!

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
SWEET MAN...!!!!!! Do you freekin sleep..????

How about putting the headlights on the fenders so they turn with the steering....?

A couple of ideas ....

We are already in the build stage of the parts but I wanted you guys to have a quick look at a couple of our ideas......

Very interesting design renderings , I like the two different solutions for the screen , but it reminds me of something I've seen somewhere.......:D

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
I really liked the Peugeot Le Mans car and that where some of the ideas came from...
The reason for the fender design ...front half prevents riding up and over someone in the event of touching wheels...been there in my Formula car and got seriously airborne.
The rear part of the fender to catch the debris thrown from the back of the tyre during rotation.

We have discussed mounting lights on the fender etc etc but we have another solution I will show you guys next week sometime....

We also have a sidepod that mounts to the rear of the car as a duct for the intake air and also creates a spat style rear fender....

Keep the ideas coming....feedback is good...good or bad....

Thanks

Attachments

• 3-4_avant2.jpg
    3-4_avant2.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 830
Hi Fran,

I like the top design with the common windscreen for the two occupants rather than the split screen in the lower design. I think the top design will provide more of a sun shade for instruments on the dash. Might also result in a little less wind buffeting in the cockpit.

Will we have a choice of gelcoat color for these pieces?

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I really do like the split fender concept but I think you'd actually have to model it on an existing chassis and maybe run it across a wet surface to see where the water spray is deflected.. The spray will show where any debris will go also.. My point is this - If it's point of deflection is right toward the driver when the wheels are turned - it would necessitate a change to raise the rearward fenderlette (new word I just invented) to increase the deflection angle..

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Here is another......the twin screens will be deflectors not clear screens so a wipers will not be necessary.

Attachments

• scan0002 (Small).jpg
    scan0002 (Small).jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 803

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Randy,

do you think you would be driving this in the rain????

Absolutely not - but for modeling purposes to get the correct design for your fenders you can **USE** water to your advantage..
The water would be a little more "kind" to the test pilot and the car than would driving through gravel and sand to determine if you have the correct fender design and geometry...

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Fran,

Understand the anti ride-up reasoning for front fenders (I got started with cars by driving ¼ midgets at age 4), but also agree with Randy that there is something that just isn't working for me visually.

You know that I am a functionality over aesthetics kind of guy, so why not add some functionality mixed with some magician's misdirection too: incorporate a front brake scoop/duct into the front fenderette to hide its initial purpose for being there. It would also give you the opportunity to show some sexy curves to draw the eye.

Just a thought.

Lynn

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Lynn,

funny you shoudl mention the scoop...just yesterday we talked about integrating the fender mounts and a brake scoop into one unit....

MkIV.
its tough to please every State of the Union....I dont even know if we will try.

Last edited:
Back