Working for the Dark side...!!!!

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
We have done a Ford GT/LS7 transaxle and substantial chassis strengthening modifications to a local Factory Five GTM....using the new RCR adapter plate and flywheel package.
The clutch and starter are all stock Ford GT....

Attachments

• gtm1.jpg
    gtm1.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 972
  • gtm2.jpg
    gtm2.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 975
  • gtm3.jpg
    gtm3.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 983
  • gtm4.jpg
    gtm4.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 942
Very nice job Fran,,,,just some ramblings...

I have often wondered what a Corvette C5 suspension would look like in a mid engine car.... Now I know. It fits nicely, and the "long" trailing arms are gone.... Kinda suprised that they didn't use the entire rear aluminum "cradle", but that may not have worked, since the tranny is hanging out the back with a typical mid-engine setup and the Corvette has the tranny ahead of the rear axle.

The ability to have some isolation (rubber bushings) in the suspension are also nice on a street car. There is going to be more "moving around" with bushings in there and funny things with respect to toe changes can happen, but it works on the Vette (I know I have one), so I guess it's ok....

I am guessing that they used the Corvette stuff up front too, how about a shot of that, just curious as to how they framed it in...

Not that big on tube frames, but if you are going to have a track car you should havea cage nowadays anyway. Still think that Fran's chassis is nicer, but with the mods you made to triangulate the back end it will for sure be a lot stiffer than it was before.

Are you going to add some tubes to the roof section to triangulate it or are you done?

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Bill,

thanks...we did already..

Manny.
there is no room in the roof section for additional tubes as the owner is a tall guy and the space is somewhat limited now..
There are tons of pics on the FFR forum...it may be worth a look f you are interested in what FFR did.

Fran,

Your ingenuity keeps finding new niches to play in. This one has the potential to be big! I look forward to seeing the reaction on the FFR forum. Transaxles are the number one fear item and you may have made that go away. Great job!

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Thank you Marcus..your ingenuity is pretty keen too...even if you do have big feet...

This forum breeds cool stuff......willingness to share and openess of knowledge is hard to find these days...

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Some of us are proud and glad to be part of a greater entity...
ALL BS ASIDE....
I love my job and really get a major charge from this group of guys...even the ones that dont like RCR.....;)

The ones who don't like RCR would be in the minority I would bet. Nice branding by you too Fran.

Cheers

Jack

Hi Fran,
You mentioned you were not getting emails from me, since saying that I have sent and backed up those emails as a PM on this forum (multible times) with no response. Is my stuff still not making it to you?

Give me a call, thanks
Happy New Year!
(sorry for the open note guys)

Fran, your workmanship and design capability is awesome! I enjoy all the updates on your various projects, I just need more time, space and money!
You are an inspiration to us all!
Dave

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Hi Rob,

No messages ...I will check my spam boxes but they also auto delete....sorry.

I will give you a jingle tomorrow...

The factory C5 (and I think C6 as well) bushings aren't really up to the task of tracking a ~3100lb street car on decent rubber (you get alignment shifts). They might be ok on a ~2300lb GTM, but I'd think an upgrade to VB&P's poly-graphite bushings would in order for any GTM build.

I was disappointed to see that FFR didn't seem to correct the rear tire rod (bump-steer) geometry from the C5.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
I know that the arms on this particular car are the "t1" production upgrades ones with higher durometer bushings...so are more than up to the task...

But I do agree with your other comments.

Another thing that is strange is the front upper arm mounts are turned 90deg from stock and make suspension adjustments almost impossible without making a slot , this then required the nut and bolt clamping force to do all the work..and maintainalignment.... not ideal in the least.

Hey Fran waht was your opinion on the quality and development of the F5 chassis?

cheers from Germany!
eric

Fran,
This is turning into the "is your email working thread" - as a test (as before) I am sending to both your email accounts and I am PMing you at the same time (about 9:45 am PT today, monday) please let me know what happens....or doesnt happen.... see if we cant figure out the disconnection here.

Thanks

Sorry boys...

Back