Electric RCR's

Sorry its a PDF. file ...but it should work...

Attachments

• CHARGE IT_ The pros and cons of new electric cars.pdf
    298 KB · Views: 2,415
Last edited:
That silver car would be no good for me Fran, i get car sick going backwards!! :eek:. ..But electric is the future i'm afraid to say . . .that is unless you can work some nuclear fission into a superlite?

Howard,

that is the street package...the track package has a similar external profile but is lower to the ground by approx 45mm...

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Since when is the SuperLight Coupe a "Replica" ???

Nice copy though Fran - It's going to propel RCR to a new level...

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Bill wants to drive in the HOV lane with all the hybrids and car-pools...

Fran - If you're selling turn-keys doesn't that change your status from a parts supplier to an automobile mfgr? I know that Factory Five will not sell a new turn-key for that very reason...

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Fran

A quick question

In the Pdf it looks like an engine in the normal location with presumably a gearbox and dif somewhere.

Why not mount the electric motors in the hubs and save having to wast the energy to turn the gears?

Suddenly 4 wheel drive electric car - each motor does not have to be so "beefy" and get the same power (or more power) to the ground

Ian

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Fran

A quick question

In the Pdf it looks like an engine in the normal location with presumably a gearbox and dif somewhere.

Why not mount the electric motors in the hubs and save having to wast the energy to turn the gears?

Suddenly 4 wheel drive electric car - each motor does not have to be so "beefy" and get the same power (or more power) to the ground

Ian

Loss of one motor may mean you make an immediate turn... However, there are hydrostatic drive systems like that but they're quite heavy.. I imagine with enough circuitry and logic you could make a 4wd electric car work...

Randy....

Like I said cant believe journo's.....we will not be supplying batteries so the packages are not complete...
Independent hub drive is expensive...and more complex....thats all well and good if your are an OEM and spreading the cost over thousands of units...no such luck here I am afraid...

Where do they get the $5.00/charge figure? It would seem to me that your couldn't charge a car with less energy than it is going to expend. Everything I have read on electric indicates that we will burn more fossil fuel and create more emissions to generate the electric for the car than the car would consume and subsequently emit into the environment. If we could convert to nuclear energy across the board, this would have more promise. (I'm in the NIMBY camp here, but otherwise for nuclear. ;) ). I think we can go a lot further with fuel efficiency and further development of the Hybrid. Besides, who wants a silent GT40?

Besides, who wants a silent GT40?

I am sure Fran will have a Tape or CD of a GT40 at full noise in the list of options so you can cruise the boulevards at 20mph sounding like 200mph, probably come with solar panel so that your 20mph cruise range does not suffer. Aero drag from the panel @ 20mph should not be factor!

Sorry Fran, I just cannot come to terms with all this battery s***! Everything with batteries around here always seems to be U.S.

... Everything I have read on electric indicates that we will burn more fossil fuel and create more emissions to generate the electricity for the car than the car would consume and subsequently emit into the environment. ... Besides, who wants a silent GT40?
Detailed audits show ( In Australia with our standard coal fired plants) that the emissions are less. And the few I know who have done a conversion use greenpower options. So, few if any emissions.

And - the silent car IS a problem where they have been used a bit - it is noted that people and dogs don't hear them - so you need a recorded noise, and I understand one of the most popular is the clippety clop of horse hooves.
( I think I'd get something from here: Vintage V12s, Inc. :: Home ).

And here was me thinking it would be heretical to suggest an electric GT40!!

Congrats Fran for being ahead of the game here!

The noise factor is certainly something I have thought about. Horse hoove sound is a novel idea.

Looking at bringing some electric RCR's down under soon as we have had a lot of interest in them.

I'd love to build an electrically powered RCR GT40, for all sorts of reasons, and believe I could live with the obvious compromises. I suspect though that it in order to achieve a good weight distribution it would be necessary to fit some of the batteries in the fuel pontoons (if that's the correct term). I haven't investigated the dimensions of different battery types, but I guess it might be necessary to modify the pontoons. Are these as I suspect essential for the strength of the car?

Have you looked into the possibility of offering the GT40 as an electrically powered vehicle, Fran? If not, are there any obvious reasons that it might not be suitable?

We have indeed...
in fact we are putting exactly that together for Robertson Racing...(ALMS Ford GT race team....)
Dave and Andrea Robertson want to have one to use while away at the track as a promo for their team...

Emissions from the increased electricity production required to charge electric vehicles has been shown to overall reduce total emissions caused by personal transportation (but I do think marketers are misleading when they say that electric vehicles are "zero emissions" vehicles).

I really dont think that the noise "problem" or lack there of is really an issue. I have gone for a ride in a Tesla Roadster and hear them drive past me several times a week and they are louder than a Prius (motor wine, wind noise, tire noise).

Fran, what kind of batteries are you intending your SL-Ce to use and how many? What motor does it use and what are the specs. Does the control system include regenerative braking? Weight estimate? Any other details or specs that you can or want to release?

Yes, any and all details and build photos that you are willing to share would be greatly appreciated. I'd also like to know what sort of transmission you will be using as I imagine there must be a lot of weight that could be saved by simplification in that area.

Back