Fuel bladders ....

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
As mentioned elsewhere...

Here are the RCR FIA FT3 spec fuel bladders....

Attachments

• bladders roll hoop 004 (Small).jpg
    bladders roll hoop 004 (Small).jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 1,058
  • bladders roll hoop 009 (Small).jpg
    bladders roll hoop 009 (Small).jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 1,002
It's a problem of getting older...........Oh hang on.....I thought we were talking about FULL bladders

All,
Sorry to dig up an old thread but I was noticing that there is a date code on the bladders and was wondering if one was to purchase a bladder tank how do you get it updated or do you have to purchase a new one?
Thank you
Mark

If you are racing in SCCA / NASA race series and such. The fuel cell bladders will have a life of 5 yrs from manufacture date. So every 5 yrs you will have to replace the Bladder to be legal. When your car is inspected to be allowed to race in the series, the date of fuel cell bladder or polymer liner is noted in the race log book for the car.

Such as Seat belts are 3 years.

This also applies to polymer tanks.

Now if you had a production car and production tank there is no date issue.

This only applies to FIA certified race tanks. So if you installed a racing fuel cell in you Miata now you have to meet the date regulation.

If you do not race and are just on the street. The Manufacturer warranty Fuel Safe, others is 5 years. Is the Bladder still good? Your choice to inspect and drive.

Turbodon,
That is good info as the racing I have done does require new belts every few years but have not seen a requirement on the fuel tanks regarding date codes.
On one of the fuel tank sites for aircraft that I can not rember at the moment they do repairs but I was uncertain if the tanks could be reinspected after the 5 year period and still be safe for street use?

Example from NASA CCR:

A fuel cell is not required, except as specified by class rules. It is recommended for all
NASA classes, unless specifically listed otherwise. All vehicles having a fuel cell MUST
comply with the rules in this section, even if a fuel cell is not required.
• There must be a solid metal bulkhead completely separating the fuel tank, fuel
pump, fuel cell, filler neck hoses, and/or vent lines, from the driver compartment.
• The cell must contain a bladder that is FIA FT-3 (or higher) rated.
• The cell should be in a container made of at least 0.036-inch steel, 0.059-inch
aluminum, or 0.125-inch Marlex, fully surrounding the bladder.
• Foam internal baffling is required, as per FIA FT3-1999 (or higher).
• The filler cap, line, vents hoses, etc. should be designed so that no fuel will
escape if the car is partially or totally inverted.
• There should be a small drain hole in the outside box to purge fuel trapped
between the bladder and the box.
• Filler necks should not be mounted through a window panel (exceptions may be
made at the discretion of the Chief Scrutineer).
• The competitor is responsible for ensuring that the cell, bladder, and components
are installed, maintained, and replaced per the manufacturer’s instructions and in
accordance with applicable sections of the CCR.
• The bladder has a date of manufacture and serial number. The competitor is
responsible to note this in the front of the logbook.
• Bladders older than 5 years should not be used.
• As a January 1, 2009 the competitor will be responsible for showing proof of the
age of the bladder. It is highly recommended that the receipt for the purchase of
the bladder (or entire cell) be stored with the Vehicle Logbook.

Back