Build times

I am trying to get a feel for how long it would take to build an SLC. Not for a newbie, and not for a professional shop. Has any of the SLC builders commented on their times? Thanks.

I am going a bit slowly right now on SL-C 009 finalizing decisions on some items such level of interior trim, etc. I am not a newbie and have at home DIY stuff, great tools, etc. Play with cars all the time. My build is a bit unusual as I'm using a modified LS-1 and 930 LSD gearbox, remote electric waterpump, and a few other items unique to my build. It's pretty straight forward and once I figure out all of my systems layouts the build I estimate will be completed within about 200 man hours (mine only).

Should you put it together as the Deluxe package the time will be a little less, again depending upon the level of finish you desire and interior trim items. It is just a bit more than a bolt together, but easily done nevertheless. I am quite pleased with my SL-C, RCR has done a creditable job!

Jack

Intend to post link to build site whenever I get it done. Be patient I'm spending time working on the car...soon I hope.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
...once I figure out all of my systems layouts the build I estimate will be completed within about 200 man hours (mine only).
Jack

Jack, I'm curious.....does this 200 hour estimate include any paint/body work?

Actually, I'm hoping for a product where I can just polish the gel-coat, but that would take some incredibly accurate panels. Imagine a component project where no body work would be necessary, no bondo, no sanding and blocking, none of that, just take a polisher to the gel coat!

Carbon Fiber might just be that product.......who knows? I like the woven look of the various CF aftermarket hoods I see on the rice rockets, wonder how an entire GT40 or SL-C would look in polished CF?

TIA for the info on the build time.......I'm suspecting that is mechanical assembly only, but would be very pleased to hear otherwise :thumbsup: !

Doug

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Jack, I'm curious.....does this 200 hour estimate include any paint/body work?

Actually, I'm hoping for a product where I can just polish the gel-coat, but that would take some incredibly accurate panels. Imagine a component project where no body work would be necessary, no bondo, no sanding and blocking, none of that, just take a polisher to the gel coat!

Doug

Hi Doug -

I'm sure Jack will reply with his opinion but I thought I would give mine because I was thinking along the same train of thought as you. The body of my SLC is VERY straight and the panel fit lines are pretty much perfect - straight out of the mold. However, my SLC was delivered with a number of scratches in the finish - I'm sure from the handling/shipping process. Nothing major but enough that even with polishing the finish would not be blemish-free. I've decided that to get a body finish that I will be proud of it has to be painted. A track car could certainly be polished gel coat - but I go to car shows and while I don't need a "show quality" finish, I do want a finish that I can be proud of.

Regards,
Dave L

Doug, The estimate does not include paint & bodywork. The fiberglass is quite good and the fits are excellent. If you intend to polish the gelcoat you must first sand down the mold parting seams. There appears to be plenty of gelcoat in these areas, however, I would expect that some touchup to the gelcoat will be needed somewhere. I agree with Lindey's comments about painting. I was simply going to polish the gelcoat but changed my mind because of color choice which is still undetermined. Mine is black gelcoat but I am really considering white or a light blue. Had I ordered the car in white initially I would probably buff the gelcoat.

Doug,
Forgot to mention that the body is so straight that no bondo or serious sanding is required. Simply prep for your chosen paint system as usual.

Jack...

Back