SLC Aftermarket Seat Option

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Let me start off by saying that the RCR SLC seats are fine for the street and I would suspect excellent for the track - they are light, well made, supportive and nicely upholstered.

My SLC will primarily be driven on the street and unfortunately, I am not as thin as I used to be and my back likes it if I can vary the seat recline position on long trips. The RCR seat back is fixed...and a bit narrow. Rob Mesa chose a Recaro Speed seat for his SLC - an excellent choice. The seat is beautifully made and very comfortable - though I personally prefer the lower side bolster model for some reason. My concern with the Recaro seat is the need to modify the frame of the seat to get it to fit. Probably no big deal but more than I would prefer to deal with.

Using the SLC seat and taking some measurements with the seat sitting in the SLC I went searching for another aftermarket seat option. Fran has already said that there is no aftermarket adjustable seat that will fit - and from what I have found he is correct. The challenge is the available height in combination with the curvature of the tops of the doors into the cab area. I plan to mount the seats to the floor with no adjustable runners. The best option for me is the Cobra Daytona seat for a few reasons - it is very comfortable and has a Recaro recline adjustment mechanism that allows for micro adjustment (not ratcheting), the seat dimensions are VERY close to the RCR seat (some modifications to the headrest and seat cushion may be required), and the headrest area above the harness slot is fabric and foam - no seat frame modifications should be required. The seats are available in virtually any fabric - I selected the standard fabric because I don't like sliding around on leather...alcantara is also available. The price is not too bad either at $650/seat for fabric.

I've attached a photo of the RCR seat (upholstery has not been attached - just draped over the seat) next to the Cobra Daytona. I just received the seats and need to try them in the SLC to see how they fit. I'll post a photo or two of the drivers seat (the one that matters!) in the car tomorrow and I'll let you know how it fits.

Regards,
Dave L

Attachments

• HPIM1339.JPG
    HPIM1339.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 2,146

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Dave,

we do now have the "gentlemans seat"...a 2 inch wider version of the standard SL-C seat...designed for the more comfortable physique....not that it would be the answer to your question but its just another option available for those that may need it..

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I wonder if the SL-C seats will fit in an RCR40? Hmmm....

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
They will but the side support "wings" make it a little harder to get in, once there the seating position is great...

[snip]

...we do now have the "gentlemans seat"...

[snip]

Nice way to finesse the issue Fran. I once saw an article in Forbes where a Savile Row tailor described his customer as being more "prosperous this year."

We are all in sales, whether we know it or not.

Dave,

That looks pretty close in the photos to a good match. Could you give the dimensions of the SL-C seat, including the width of the headrest? I agree that most, if not all, aftermarket seats will be excluded mostly due to the shoulder width, headrest width and height. Did you consider the Recaro Sportster CS? Height to bracket - 32", Shoulder bolster width - 20.23", Seat width - 20.15", Headrest width (estimated from line drawings) - 7 to 8". Adjustable seat rake. This one has a similar headrest profile to the SL-C seat. Once my SL-C is delivered, I may test fit this one (Nine-Eleven in Dallas is a Recaro dealer and only about 70 MILES from me!).

Doc

Aren't those the same fiberglass seats that are in the SL-R? Hmm.. I wonder how hard it would be to stitch an R on there instead of a C?

Interesting topic.

I've been through a slew of seats, trying to find a set that would work for me and the SLC.

There are three competing problems, at least for a relatively tall driver like me. First, most seats have seat cushions that put you too high for any headroom, especially with a helmet. Second, most seats are too wide at the shoulders and foul the doors, and too wide at the bottom, forcing you to sit offset to the steering column (and reducing the door/head clearance). And third, any of the recliner seats have the headrest at the wrong angle when the seatback is at the preferred angle of about 45 degrees (roughly parallel with the bulkhead panel).

My first thought was that any of the popular aftermarket seats would be no problem, the only real issue was finding one I thought was affordable and functional. But a morning spent measuring at the local racing parts emporium killed that idea quickly. Almost all of them were too high, too wide, too heavy and too much.

Next up was borrowing a seat from production cars. Lots of them have the same problem, right? My first attempt was the Lotus Elise/Exige, a small mid-engined car. This was a fixed-shell seat that was the narrowest seat from a production car I could find- only about 20" outside at the bottom and about 17" inside. Not for the Wide-Oval segment, but I fit fine, really. It fit tight enough to the centerline that I was centered on the steering wheel, but there was interference with the door, and I couldn't get the seatback angle I wanted (same problem with the Elise version, BTW).

Then I went the other direction and tried a set of racing shells. The pic below shows the two slightly different shells from Tillett. These beauties are so light a butterfly sneeze would knock them over unless they were bolted down. They are even narrower, which they accomplish in part by doing away with such fripperies as, well, upholstery.

100_0510.jpg

I fit fine in these, as long as I took my wallet out of my pocket (you can see it on the console). Which was fine, as it wouldn't have much left in it anyway after I paid for them- they are pretty spendy, at least if you are buying them by the pound!

But the real problem was that no one else I knew was skinny enough to fit in them, so that was going to be a problem for the future ("No honey, you don't really want to drive the SLC home...uh, it's too aggresive"). That and you had to be a refugee from the circus to contort enough to get into the car since your legs had to fit through a pretty narrow slit between the seat front and the dash. Still, surprisingly comfy despite the racer-boy looks.

Then I tried a Corbeau seat that the Corvette crowd uses a lot. It has the benefit of being among the lowest and narrowest of the aftermarket seats, and also had belt openings in the seatback at the right height for harnesses (way too many seats have the slots placed for looks, not function, so if you are tall, the belts wrap over your shoulders, ready, willing and able to assist in spinal compression in an impact). This seat was not quite low enough at the bottom, but plenty wide, and was just a tad offset relative to the steering column. But when reclined at the angle needed, the fixed headrest was all wrong- and useless in an impact.

My current plan is to build a custom seat. Ironically, the inspiration for buiolding a custom set of seats came from RCR. I have a friend who is building an RCR40 (doing a great job on a great car, BTW) and I tried his seats as well. The probably fit the best, but there are changes needed for the SLC that wouldn't be expected in a GT40.

So I've come full circle- from not fitting in the original SLC seats, to seeing a path to make custom seats instead -- and modeled loosely on the RCR40 seat design. Mine will have a different headrest design, and recliners from a production car, but they will end up looking at least inspired by the GT40 seats.

So far, anyway!

Last edited:

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Dave,

That looks pretty close in the photos to a good match. Could you give the dimensions of the SL-C seat, including the width of the headrest? I agree that most, if not all, aftermarket seats will be excluded mostly due to the shoulder width, headrest width and height. Did you consider the Recaro Sportster CS? Height to bracket - 32", Shoulder bolster width - 20.23", Seat width - 20.15", Headrest width (estimated from line drawings) - 7 to 8". Adjustable seat rake. This one has a similar headrest profile to the SL-C seat. Once my SL-C is delivered, I may test fit this one (Nine-Eleven in Dallas is a Recaro dealer and only about 70 MILES from me!).

Doc

Doc - The Cobra seat is VERY close to fitting perfectly out of the box. I'll post some photos a little later.

SLC seat dimensions (base flat on the floor):
Height = 33.5"
Width = 19"
Depth (total) = 22"
Width (shoulders - max) = 22"
Width (waist - max) = 17.5"
Headrest width at top = 6.5"
Headrest width at top of seat back = 9.5"

The Recaro Sportster CS is a beautiful seat - but it won't fit. Your dimensions are a bit off based on the information I have. The backrest height from the floor to the top of the headrest is just over 36" - WAY too tall. And the plastic seat back would make modification troublesome. Take a look at vividracing.com for a dimensioned diagram.

Regards,
Dave L

Last edited:

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Interesting topic.

There are three competing problems, at least for a relatively tall driver like me. First, most seats have seat cushions that put you too high for any headroom, especially with a helmet. Second, most seats are too wide at the shoulders and foul the doors, and too wide at the bottom, forcing you to sit offset to the steering column (and reducing the door/head clearance). And third, any of the recliner seats have the headrest at the wrong angle when the seatback is at the preferred angle of about 45 degrees (roughly parallel with the bulkhead panel).

Will - Unfortunately, if you want/need the seat reclined to 45 degrees I think you will have a very difficult time finding a reclining seat with a headrest in a more upright position at that seat back angle. As for the seat cushion height, have you considered having them shaved? I know at least an inch can be removed from the Cobra Daytona - but you still won't have your desired headrest angle. Other seats can have their cushions shaved as well - but shaving the seat cushion doesn't change the overall height of the seat so careful selection is needed.

Good luck with your search.

Dave L

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the SL-C data. The dimensions shown on your line drawings of the Recaro seat indeed shows 36", but on other charts of the same seat the measurement is taken from a perpendicular and NOT along the axis of the seatback and there-in lies the difference in data. But I have to agree with everyone, including Fran, current aftermarket seats will probably not fit. Undaunted....I will continue my search for the Holy Grail of seats.

Will - Unfortunately, if you want/need the seat reclined to 45 degrees I think you will have a very difficult time finding a reclining seat with a headrest in a more upright position at that seat back angle. As for the seat cushion height, have you considered having them shaved? I know at least an inch can be removed from the Cobra Daytona - but you still won't have your desired headrest angle. Other seats can have their cushions shaved as well - but shaving the seat cushion doesn't change the overall height of the seat so careful selection is needed.

Good luck with your search.

Dave L

HI Dave,

I agree about the headrest angle- that's why I think I need to make them from scratch. The Tillett seats headrest is perfect, even if tilted back at a 45- but it has other problems.

I considered getting the Corbeau seats as just frame-and-foam so it would be easier to shave them, but didn't think it would be worth the effort since there were other problems as well.

Thanks,

-Will

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
I wanted to double check the fitting of the seats so I temporarily fit up the door panel to be sure there are no interference issues - the seats aren't even close to the lower part of the doors. The one clearance problem is the width of the upper part of the headrest. A little trimming by an upholstery shop and the seats will fit fine. Keep in mind with the following photos that the steering column is adjusted straight and all the way out (it tilts and telescopes).

Regards,
Dave L

Attachments

• HPIM1344.JPG
    HPIM1344.JPG
    123.2 KB · Views: 1,337
  • HPIM1345.JPG
    HPIM1345.JPG
    134 KB · Views: 1,162
  • HPIM1346.JPG
    HPIM1346.JPG
    170.1 KB · Views: 1,277
  • HPIM1347.JPG
    HPIM1347.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 1,194
Dave,
I am all jealous to read the measurements on this seat, reads like it should drop right in. Seems I remember that you are a couple inches taller than me, if true I am confused by the apparent proximity to vertical of the seat back position. With my seat and my (lack of) height the seatback more or less blends in with the slope of the back of the side glass opening. If you have not already done so may I suggest checking the fit of the passenger seat as that seat sits more outboard the centerline than the driver, meaning that any shoulder/headrest/roof clearance will be tighter.

Nice starting place
Rob

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Dave,
I am all jealous to read the measurements on this seat, reads like it should drop right in. Seems I remember that you are a couple inches taller than me, if true I am confused by the apparent proximity to vertical of the seat back position. With my seat and my (lack of) height the seatback more or less blends in with the slope of the back of the side glass opening. If you have not already done so may I suggest checking the fit of the passenger seat as that seat sits more outboard the centerline than the driver, meaning that any shoulder/headrest/roof clearance will be tighter.

Nice starting place
Rob

Hi Rob - I was hoping you would offer your insights on this topic since you are further along than many of us. The seat back position in the pictures is just what I happened to have the seat set to when I took the pictures. The seat back is capable of tilting forward and back from the position shown - the only clearance problem is the outer corner of the headrest against the window opening. You got me worried with the passenger seat so I rushed out to the pole building with a seat to check the passenger side. While the shoulder bolster is tighter to the door, it fits! The headrest is still an issue as shown but that is an easy fix. Thanks for prompting me to check the passenger side!

Dave L

Attachments

• HPIM1348.JPG
    HPIM1348.JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 1,012
  • HPIM1349.JPG
    HPIM1349.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 914
  • HPIM1351.JPG
    HPIM1351.JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 929
A fellow at Speedway Automotive measured the Recaro Sportster CS for me. Every dimension appears OK except the height at 35.3".....Oh well. I'll keep looking.

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
A fellow at Speedway Automotive measured the Recaro Sportster CS for me. Every dimension appears OK except the height at 35.3".....Oh well. I'll keep looking.

Doc -

Good luck with your search, I checked Recaro, Cobra, Corbeau, etc. and while some are close most will not fit without significant modification. Let us know what you come up with.

On a side note, I was AMAZED at how well the innner door panels fit the doors. I wanted to be sure there were no clearance issues between the seats and the doors so I just taped the door panels into place - virtually a perfect fit on both doors. Really amazing for fiberglass parts. Well done RCR!

Dave L

Obviously I don't have an SLC, but have you guys looked at these?
I bought mine from here, they're designed with a 20 deg recline I'm using them a 30 deg you could go further if needed.
I'm 5' 8" with stumpy legs (so a long torso) and my the top of my head does not reach the top of the seat.
A plus that only recently dawned on me for this type of seat is that if I ever get serious and want to do a custom foam liner then the alloy 'bucket' is already there to take it.

Another one to look at are these.

Back