What resin to use?

BigB98

CURRENTLY BANNED
Will be building up a couple panels on the underside of the front and rear bonnets as I plan to make the front tilt and it needs to support the weight. As well, I need to create the air ducts that lead from the side ducts to the turkey pan.

This will be my first experience with fiberglass and I think the job with the flat panels being built up a bit will be relatively easy, but the other job may be a fun challenge.

What resin do I use?

If you have other tips, let me know. Thanks fellas.

Brian, it's really not that difficult. Amazon sells a couple good How To books on the topic.

Build yourself a mold using shaped foam or something similar. Get some mat and some resin and give it a whirl!

Wouldnt it pay to check with RCR to ask what resin system they use in production of the body etc first. At least then you can verify that anything you might choose to use is compatible first, rather than find out the hard way. Its hardly likely to be a national secret . :)

BigB98

CURRENTLY BANNED
Thanks for the help fellas.

Jac Mac, that's kinda why I posted it in the RCR section (after hours and just looking for feedback). :)

Thanks for the help fellas.

Jac Mac, that's kinda why I posted it in the RCR section (after hours and just looking for feedback). :)

Thats amazing, not one of the RCR faithful seem to know what resin system or glass type the body of their cars are made from, no mention of it either on the website's that I could see.

I am by no means an expert but I have used epoxy resin to do some work on my RCR 40. It is my understanding that you can put epoxy over poly but not the other way around. If you use epoxy, as I have, you need to be sure to use an epoxy primer over it or you may have issues with your paints and fillers sticking to the epoxy.

So far my glass work has held up well. It has been over two years since I did the body work and it has been driven about a year and a half and 3K miles.

I too have used epoxy over polyester, but i try not to since epoxy is more expensive and usually takes longer to cure. I have always felt that you want to use epoxy unless you are doing something truly structural since polyester is cheaper and much more UV stable. Being UV stable is probably important for a car that's going to be in the sun!

Epoxies work well over polyester, as Jonathan S has mentioned. Not the other way around. Polyester resin will ont give any problems in this application. Abrade the surface before glassing the parts in. Get a much better mechanical bond that way.

Remember; epoxy resin doesn't work with chopped strand mat, only polyester disolves the binder that holds the mat together. I've seen many applications of glass cloth and epoxy, but not enough layers of fiber glass cloth to give proper stength. Also, most of the fiber glass cloth sold has the same binder as chopped strand mat, but the cloth works OK enough. You really need to shop around fro the correct products.

Remember; epoxy resin doesn't work with chopped strand mat, only polyester disolves the binder that holds the mat together. I've seen many applications of glass cloth and epoxy, but not enough layers of fiber glass cloth to give proper stength. Also, most of the fiber glass cloth sold has the same binder as chopped strand mat, but the cloth works OK enough. You really need to shop around fro the correct products.

it is true that most fiberglass mats are not for epoxy but you can buy mat that is made with a binder that is compatible with epoxy resin. I have used it on many of my molds for aircraft parts. great for thickness build up on the molds. I never use it for actual parts it is not very strong and it makes very heavy parts.

Back