You know what the SLC needs....

Some stainless steel equal length 180* headers, unmuffled, that poke out the back (kinda like GT40's bundle of snakes; I've heard custom 180s on a Z06 and it sounded awesome). :idea:

C'monnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn :thumbsup:

Hmmmmm, can I amend my request to widening the rear so they can fit .... nothing says manly like a race car that takes up more than 1 lane on the highway :idea:

I also wanted a 180 system but I totally agree, there is no room for it. I can't wait to hear one of the LS7 GT40s to fire up with 180 system....but then it will probably just make me :bigcry:

And if you want a "two lane" SLC some loon is already building that :chug:

PS What makes wider better from a 180 exhaust standpoint?

Hey loon, only wider to fit in the chassis. A 180 system on any LS engine really sounds awsome! Have fun!

jack

What's the problem, exactly? Is it just the interference with the intake and throttle body in the typical LS installation, or something more? If it's just the former, then what are the chances of making a bundle of snakes fit if you use an ITB or some other form of intake that draws engine air from either the top or the sides instead of the rear?

Me thinks the chassis structure interferes. Not enough room. LS engines sound awsome even without the 180's.

Me thinks the chassis structure interferes. Not enough room. LS engines sound awsome even without the 180's.

We'll see. I'm somewhat determined to see if I can figure a way to make it work - I have a friend who's a welding genius and builds a lot of trick header designs from scratch.

Plus the fact I'm going to go carb'd means I should have a lot more room where the intake is, so we shall see.

The rear bonnet tapers down eliminating clearance between it and the horizontal steel brace that the shocks mount to.

The rear bonnet tapers down eliminating clearance between it and the horizontal steel brace that the shocks mount to.

Hummmm, that could be a problem.

I'd hate to end up paying my friend $$$$$ to build just a regular stainless longtube system for it that wasn't 180*

......although maybe Fran wants to save us LS7 folk some time and build a few sets for us - gotta be better than the stock manifolds I've seen in some pictures :idea:

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
BRYANT Racing, Inc. - Home will make you a flat crank

There is NO way to get a 180 system in the back...especially as you are using a Ricardo....

The stock manifolds flow very very well.... GM spent millions of dollars designing them to meet a very wide criteria...

I look forward to seeing what your friend can do....and how much he gains under the curve and at what price...innovation is always cool to see...

Jack,

Jay just gave the SL-C a back-handed compliment: He could only come up with one reason for him to choose the 40 over the SL-C!!! Still, those 180's are like the mythical Sirens.....

J .......you're a mean man (and those Kinslers don't help the envy factor any either).

What did JacMac say, people shouldnt say "you cant" to him? Hell it caused him to go make a really cool WOOD transaxle :D

A 180 would have to sit on top of the rear sub frame and as noted the body only clears the top of the sub by a couple inches. I have been thinking on a way around this issue and it helps a little that my deck lid is raised an inch or so vs the stock setup. Even with the extra room there isnt enough space to keep it under the body. The thought at this point is to (possibly) make an exposed (think indy fords from the 60's) above the DL .... or mod the DL to cover the exit pipes. Just a thought..... until J posts a sound clip of his bundle of snakes.....then the gloves come off!!!! :D

Back