I don't think Ford's going to hire me :o

Nice simple carb'd wiring harness. Nothing fancy. Starts off with the right intentions

dashw2.jpg

Annnnnnnnnnnd then we end up with this :laugh:

dashw1.jpg

dashw3.jpg

Ron Earp

Admin
If that is the ISIS system I definitely don't see where it is saving any weight or helping with complexity.

Any particular reason you are doing the wiring first?
Also, is that the ISIS system?

It's fun =) ... plus I've found it always easier to do it first rather than later because it's easier to make othe stuff work around wiring, rather than the other way around.

It's my ...... interpretation .... of the wiring setup.

If that is the ISIS system I definitely don't see where it is saving any weight or helping with complexity.

If I wanted I could cut that wiring harness down by about 60% and only have 2 looms behind the dash - but I don't, hehe. For example, with front lighting, I could easily just cut to length and butt connect them int he loom and you'd never know. Instead I havn't cut any wires to length; infact, I've doubled back some of them for potential future use (note the portions of the loom that dead-end with no wires coming out) and used terminal blocks. This way if I change my mind about which circuit to use (already happened twice) I can easily swap and not be going 'crap crap crap crap crap crap crap'.

It's definately a good system; I've just made it more "complex" in order to have almost infinite working room in the future.

Nice and simple; for example, a push-start button. 1 wire to the push-start in, 1 wire-from the push-start out to the ignition key. Then all your switch 12v power circuits to the ignition key, and 1 ground wire to the ignition key. Nice and simple and no risk of fire.

No offence Alex but with the amount of overengineering you do you may not be the best evangelist for the ISIS system. Ron here is a pic of one installed in a factory five that may give a better indication of complication.

IMG_6218.jpg

No offence Alex but with the amount of overengineering you do you may not be the best evangelist for the ISIS system. Ron here is a pic of one installed in a factory five that may give a better indication of complication.

No offense taken; like I said, Ford won't be hiring me anytime soon due to material costs =)

That's a very good setup you posted there. Nice and simple. Although I wonder how they'll change fuses with it located behidn the dash (even on a hinged panel dropping it is a bit of a pain.

Btw, i'd like to think i've improved somewhat over my cobra's wiring :D

dash2-2.jpg

To each his own. If "risk of fire" is ISIS's selling point then that is a fairly weak argument. A properly wired conventional wiring harness is not a hazard.

No it isn't - but you have to remember something - I can guarantee you that I'm probably the least skilled customer Fran has ever had (and probably will ever have :laugh: ) ..... it takes me 4hrs to change brake pads on my Z06, and I'm tickled pink that I'm able to do it ..... up until 2yrs ago, I had 0 automotive knowledge. Never changed my own oil, never changed a tire. If you asked me how suspension works and how the tires stay on the car, I would have honestly guessed wires. So what ends up being important to me (e.g., idiot proof, lots of insulated clips and loom to protect from annnnnny possible abrasion, etc...) is probably virtually unimportant to you and most people on here ... so I'll go over-engineered/overkill on everything just for my own inexperienced piece of mind :D

Basically I'm like the little hedge fund manager who could ..... I have no business being around vehicles, but damned if that's going to stop me :idea:

No it isn't - but you have to remember something - I can guarantee you that I'm probably the least skilled customer Fran has ever had (and probably will ever have :laugh: ) ..... it takes me 4hrs to change brake pads on my Z06, and I'm tickled pink that I'm able to do it ..... up until 2yrs ago, I had 0 automotive knowledge. Never changed my own oil, never changed a tire. If you asked me how suspension works and how the tires stay on the car, I would have honestly guessed wires. So what ends up being important to me (e.g., idiot proof, lots of insulated clips and loom to protect from annnnnny possible abrasion, etc...) is probably virtually unimportant to you and most people on here ... so I'll go over-engineered/overkill on everything just for my own inexperienced piece of mind :D

Basically I'm like the little hedge fund manager who could ..... I have no business being around vehicles, but damned if that's going to stop me :idea:

With that last statement you have a BIG thumbs up :thumbsup: from me on your wiring.

Just stick with it Alex! It will come along fine. There is a lot of help here on the forum too. Sweat the details, that's how we all learn!

Alex,

I rewired my sailboat several years ago with the same compulsion as you have. I imagine I'll do the same with the SL-C.

Btw, I just finished testing all my circuits/wiring by hooking up a 12v horn to make certain I didn't get anything wrong. 100% functional, no problems. Awesomeness :thumbsup: (ISIS is definately worth the money; I did the wiring w/ my I2 (predecessor to ISIS) in my cobra 100% correct the first time (and this was my first time ever with anything electrical, didn't even know what i meant to strip a wire!), and now on my 2nd complete wire everything 100% working the first time it received power)

Alex,

I rewired my sailboat several years ago with the same compulsion as you have. I imagine I'll do the same with the SL-C.

Isn't obsessive compulsive land fun =)

Back