I guess I'm a grand-pappy now

So one day this lil' guy came along

tank1.jpg

tank4.jpg

I told him not to stick his filler neck where it didn't belong, but did he listen to me? Nooooooo - several months later this guy popped out of nowhere

tank1-1.jpg

tank3-1.jpg

Awww, world's cutest sump =)

tank2-1.jpg

tank4-1.jpg

:heart:

weight savings +1

fuel times -100000

:laugh:

Btw, we still have to figure out the venting system (unable to put at top due to lack of room with rear firewall inplace) .... I suppose I could just run a hose from the top-most corner down to the ground, but I'm concerned about fuel sloshing out when full, doing a hard corner. *pontificates*

I don't know what fuel capacity is now, but Fran lists the stock tank as 100litres, and we basically have chopped the tank in half ..... granted I loose a bit with the fuel sender in place, but the stock tank has the holes in it for the cables, plus I have baby sump power, so that evens out. .... but 50litres seems kind of odd to me at that size, i would have guessed 30. Oh well - when we flush it out again (we'll have to do so for the vent fitting install) I'll measure and see how much I have left :D

Rear seating.

Alex should have just enough fuel to make it to the gas station with that big engine he's planning!

Rear seating.

Alex should have just enough fuel to make it to the gas station with that big engine he's planning!

Worked it out today - approximately 9.4 to 9.6gal of useable capacity. So not too too toooooooo bad given stock OEM tanks are like 14-15gal.

I imagine my sleeved ls 457 will be a lot like my z06 - casual driving I see 20-30mpg on average (although being carb'd and a lot more power probably drop down to 15ish), plant the foot and then it drops down to 4mph :laugh:

You installing a center seat option for the child seat????

Nah - children are welcome to just sit ontop of the cables - that way I don't have to worry about them (cables) jiggling around the cockpit area unsecured :D

Alex,
What is the reason for the mini tank? What is the freed up space going to be used for?

Need some place to temporarily store dead hookers and blow ... errrrrrrr, I mean valuable financial documents :stunned:

That, plus I wasn't too comfortable carrying around that much fuel directly behind me, and, if nothing else, it's a great weight savings mod :thumbsup:

I'll post pics when I'm done - I've got built a mini-firewall following the gas tank's contures for the transaxle cables to run through, that separates the gas tank from the electrical

Alex,

"Casual Driving"???? In a SL-C? As Fran suggested when I was considering a Viper V10 engine, you may need a trailer hitch to tow your reserve fuel tank!

Actually, you'll probably be alright since I doubt you have plans for extended trips in the SL-C.

Worked it out today - approximately 9.4 to 9.6gal of useable capacity. So not too too toooooooo bad given stock OEM tanks are like 14-15gal.

That, plus I wasn't too comfortable carrying around that much fuel directly behind me, and, if nothing else, it's a great weight savings mod :thumbsup:

2 litres is perfectly capable of crisping you as well as 100. If you are really worried about the fuel behind your seat (one of the safest places by the way) use a fuel cell

Alex,

"Casual Driving"???? In a SL-C? As Fran suggested when I was considering a Viper V10 engine, you may need a trailer hitch to tow your reserve fuel tank!

Actually, you'll probably be alright since I doubt you have plans for extended trips in the SL-C.

My idea of an extended trip is 25miles ..... rip up and down the backroads to scare a few cows and make certain to get back home before somebody can call the police :laugh:

smalltank1.jpg

smalltank2.jpg

Slowly coming along; no room for dead hookers, but plenty of room for blow, errrr, I mean valuable financial documents, still. :lipsrsealed:

More than likely, unless I come up with a brilliant brainstorm, my fuel pump will go on the centre divider, driver side (external electrical 150gph Holley). I'll also build another 3/16'' firewall between the fuel pump and the battery as a 'will probably do nothing but will give me some peace of mind' idea - I just don't like the battery being that close to fuel!

I hope I don't leak fuel anywhere inside the car!!! I know, positive thinking, but I went through 3 aeromotive pumps on my cobra, each leaking 8-12oz of fuel for 2-3minutes on first start when it was cold, because I was convinced I was doing something wrong - they claim it was a "safety" feature for cold weather until the o-ring warm'd up.....I think (and have confirmed talking with others who had similar issue) that it's something to do with dissemlar metals not making a perfect seal until it warms up after a few minutes of idling......how spewing 12oz of fuel in a 2-3minute period of "safe", I don't know.

What's FRP?

Also, do you think i'd even need that mini-firewall separating the battery from the fuel pump, or would air flow be sufficient around there?

Alex,

I believe air flow is important to ameliorate possible trapped vapors.

You're doing a great job considering preventive measures. High-quality terminal connections, proper insulation, etc. will virtually eliminate spark risks. I might suggest fire suppression systems as well.

What is screwed into that notch on the leftside of the tank? Fuel level ssender?

You got it. With the stock tank (no notch) I'm not exactly certain where the fuel level sender is supposed to go/how it works, but this seemed like the best way to do it.

I think that's pretty much the only location to choose from, lol - if anybody thinks of a different one they've got a far more creative mind than I!

I had a few people question me about my really cool transaxle cable divider thingie, so here it is now that I've got everything mocked up (except my sump drain line, still thinking where I want to route it to)

div1.jpg

div2.jpg

But wait, it's virtually impossible to get my hand between the tank/sump and the divider to install/remove fittings, and given the amount of stuff I've bolted to the other side of it, I'd hate to have to remove it all the time, especially with cables running through there eventually

Shazam

div3.jpg

Transform!
div4.jpg

Yes, I like my thingie a lot :laugh:

Back