RCR vs. CAV

What are some of the differences between RCRs and CAVs? Is one more user friendly than the other, i.e. more comfy, that sort of thing? How does the aluminum chassis compare with stainless for rigidity? How do the two cars compare as far as ease of working on them? Which would you recommend and why?

'Ello John

Real answer is research thoroughly and make your own mind up as to which suits you best. Supporters of each will inevitably defend their decision.

However for what it’s worth I had CAV and RCR on my shortlist a couple of years back and chose the RCR (I am a degree qualified engineer who has done some motor racing just by way of background). Main reasons for the decision were
  1. Assuming broadly similar design skills an ally mono will be stiffer than ss for a given weight (e.g. aircraft are mostly ally where weight/strength is critical )
  2. I have found the ally relatively easy and forgiving to work in terms of cut out panel, bracket mounting etc
  3. The design and execution of the (unique to RCR) billet ally suspension is an elegant and well engineered bonus
  4. Overall I think the build of either RCR or CAV would be similar in terms of builder skills, both are at the quality end of the market
  5. Though not relevant to me the fact that RCR are US based is a benefit to Yanks
  6. User friendliness in terms of driveability is entirely a function of your personal choices during the build as these cars are very adjustable.
Hope this is useful, good luck with following your dream

John

John,

The difference for me is that RCR also make the MkII and MkIV bodies, and you can put a big block and a Ricardo or just about any other trans in them.

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
I am 6ft tall and although I admit I have not had the oportunity to sit in an RCR, the CAV is the only GT40 so far that I have been able to sit comfortably in whilst wearing a helmet and the specific car I sat in did not have a Gurney bubble.

Part of the reason I am goint to sell my current KVA is for better personal fit because to truly enjoy the car I need to be able to take it on track.

I think the CAV has the best looking interior, specially the midsection were the gear-lever is, I like that, though I don't own one yet...
and I like the stainless mono, and suspension of the later versions...though I don't know if they are very good?
choices choices ;-)
best ofcorse is see them and try/feel how they are for you...
Today I saw a blue DBR GT40 for sale in my country Netherlands, maybe I gonna take a look although that one for me yet to expensive...but a chance to see what it does to me.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I am 6ft tall and although I admit I have not had the oportunity to sit in an RCR, the CAV is the only GT40 so far that I have been able to sit comfortably in whilst wearing a helmet and the specific car I sat in did not have a Gurney bubble.

Part of the reason I am goint to sell my current KVA is for better personal fit because to truly enjoy the car I need to be able to take it on track.

Just for comparison's sake -

I stand 6'3" tall and fit in my RCR with a fair amount of clearance over my head and still can't reach my toes to the end of the foot-well.. I am ~220# and have a 34" inseam.

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
Just for comparison's sake -

I stand 6'3" tall and fit in my RCR with a fair amount of clearance over my head and still can't reach my toes to the end of the foot-well.. I am ~220# and have a 34" inseam.

Randy,

That is good news as it means I can put an RCR on the list......

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
If you've never seen an RCR in person - you owe yourself at least a day-trip to find one close to you..

Anyone is welcome to come and see mine (although not yet complete) - I don't know of a single RCR owner that would not want to show you his car..
and certainly you can visit RCR in the Detroit area..

You can visit my build site (in my signature line) to see quite a bit of what I've been up to. I am a bit behind in my updates though...

I agree with Randy, I too am 6'3" and can fit in my RCR without a bubble, which is not the case with some of the cars out there.

Graham.

I live about 30 Minutes from RCR, but I have not yet made the short trip to see Fran. I have not made the visit because I do not want to torture myself seeing that I am still about two years away from beginning my build. When I bought my Ferrari I did not do any homework and later discovered that I made a mistake. This time I am doing a lot of homework and at this point I have found that the RCR is going to be the best car for me and fits all my needs. I have heard nothing, but great things about Fran, his crew, his work ethics and the final results. Good luck

I would like an RCR (I'm 6'4"tall, but slim), if they have this sort of space, as all the GT40's I've tried were way to tight for me even as a passenger. Although they can be modified, it is very daunting to plan to shell out a big investment if you haven't even been able to fit in a car to try driving it. Second hand cars for sale here (with registration) have all been DRB or RF. Very good cars, but I don't fit.

HI Dalton,
It all depends on how your 6`4" is constituted. If you have long legs and a short body you are fine, if it is the other way around you need to check more detailed.

I´m 6`2" tall and fit in my RCR without any modfication. To be more detailed:
The legroom is plenty. I ´ve build a adjustable pedalbox ( see my build log) . With my length i don´t need to go in most forward position of the adjustability. RCR has an option to move the steering column out of your way if you have submarine sized feet.
I opted to go with a gurney bubble to give more space for driving the car with helmet on. This said with the legroom available you can adjust you seting position and head clearance by the inclination of your seat back rest ( move the seat forward and have more inclination and therefore more headspace).
If you don´t like a to much tilted back rest, RCR has the option for a 1" dropped floor.

I´ve been sitting in almost every make (CAV,SUPERFORMANCE,TORNADO,GTD;MDA and original cars).
SUPERFORMANCE comfortable to get in and out of seats because they have almost no side support on the seat cushion. THerefore you need to rely on your seatbelts to fix you in a performance application.
CAV: good seat position, good head space
TORNADO/GTD/CAV: all of them have a smaller leg compartment compared to the RCR: has the biggest leg space i know of ( dont know DRB). RCR seats have great side support (performance oriented) a great center seat position (Steering to seat to pedal on the RHD version). and a good head space.

MY OPINION, IT WILL FIT

My reco is to give craig a call and try to get a seat in a RCR close by.

If you look out for a used RCR check the for sale part of the FORUM, Ron´s car is awsome.

TOM

The GT40 replica body shapes and chassis designs vary significantly from one manufacturer to another.

Some of the body shapes have a lower roof profile, so less height from roof to floor. From my measurements it can be 2" or more.

Same goes for chassis designs, as Tom has indicated you really notice it in legroom.

So don't be turned off if you are a big guy and can't fit in a particular GT40 replica, you might find you can fit comfortably in another brand.

On the CAV or RCR comparison, you've really got to pick the replica that suits your requirements. Both are different products with different offerings. Considering the investment you are making, it is certainly worthwhile making the time available to travel to see both in the flesh, talk to both manufacturers, talk to owners and make an informed decision.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the responses.

I'm 6', 165 and I think I'll fit in either car. I've been mostly considering the CAV because of what I've heard about ingress, egress, and driver fit. I recently spoke with Fran, however, and was pretty impressed with his rap.

I'm going to use the car mostly on a few empty twisty mountain roads in my neighborhood rather than a track. There really aren't any nearby. So it's going to be a street car.

I'm going to use the car mostly on a few empty twisty mountain roads in my neighborhood rather than a track. There really aren't any nearby. So it's going to be a street car.

John,
I've driven down to the Santa Fe/Taos/Albuquerque area several times and have always enjoyed the roads out there. If you ever travel up towards Denver, look me up. You're welcome to come by and sit in my RCR to check the 'fit' and view from the cockpit.

Regards,

Tom

RCR use easy to get parts I.E. rear up-rights take corvette bearings. I have a CAV and track it hard, and is hard to deal with, when I break parts. So. Africa is a long way away.I deal with Ian in Canada.
Don't get me wrong I love my car , but I have been to Frans,RCR's operation and it is first class all the way. And the
Randy

How's the fit and finish on the RCR compared with CAV? I understand on a CAV, for instance, the doors sound very solid when you close them. How is it with an RCR? How well do the panels fit together, match where they join?

On the RCR panel fit is up to the builder. The doors are provided oversized and you trim them to fit. They sound pretty solid when they shut. Some builders are adding door bars which would probably make them even more solid. I did not add bars and they seem pretty solid without them.

Back