Danger - Alexisisisisisisis at work

From the inventor of stripped balljoint studs at 50ft-lbs of torque comes...

aqp1.jpg
aqp2.jpg

aqp3.jpg

Sheering Aeroquip fittings :idea:

And no, I didn't use a breaker bar to tighten it :p - I was still atleast 1 full turn away from minimum seated spec (1/32'') and it just snapped. No warning, no extra resistance or weird noises, just happily turning away, then...snap. Guess there's a first time for everything :shifty:

Alex

i just stop when i feel it is enough. The 1/32" spec realy depends on the use of assembly lube and foremost how far you stick in the hose up to the thread at the very beginning of the installation.

If you acting the same way on your girlfriend, oouuch !:)

TOM

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
X3 on the assembly lube... If I can't find any, I at least use 30w motor oil on the threads or anti-sieze.. Once the threads gall, they lock up and "SNAP"...

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
I agree on all of the above with the exception of some -8 fittings I'm using. With the -10 and -12, the slight gap method works fine, but so far, every -8 I've assembled on this project gets extremely tight at roughly .100" gap even using Childs & Alberts assembly lube. All assemblies have been identical in method, penetration, and amount of oil, except for the size of fitting. I was even wondering if the wall of the hose was a tad bit thicker. Anyway, I torque it to where I'm starting to get uncomfortable, and then leave it at that. I'll just need to ensure that no undue bending forces are put on the "gap" or fitting.

were you usinq the aeroquip hose assembly lube? if not this is what can happen.

I use 30w motor oil pre-assembly.

I'm no great hose-assembly expert, but I have probably done 50 or 60 hose ends by now, and never had this happen.

My first thought was somehow the threads seized and that was that as Randy said, BUT wouldn't I have felt greater resistance when it happened? There was no resistance, no nothing unusual. He was spinning on nicely as usual, nothing unnusual to report, felt the wrench slip (when the fitting gave) and when it put it back on the fitting fell apart.

Good god man! No way I'm letting you near my car with a wrench :)

btw, got the wooden spacer yesterday and will mock it up early next week when I have time again. Haven't been allowed to work on car until :furious: damn kitchen is done....

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I won't say that Aeroquip products are beyond reproach - but I will say that I've found only a couple of AQP fittings over the years that were questionable.. You may have run into one Alex..

I won't say that Aeroquip products are beyond reproach - but I will say that I've found only a couple of AQP fittings over the years that were questionable.. You may have run into one Alex..

I remember reading that the failure rate for them, compared to other fittings like Earls, etc.., is MUCH lower, so yea, not complaining or anything, just figured you guys would be amused by it (and me =) )

Howard Jones

Supporter
Earls and Aeroquip are both pretty good. It's Russel I will never buy again. Cheep junk IMHO. I use a LOT of 30 weight oil. Oil is easy to get off later and if some remains it doesn't hurt anything. Really slop it on and then take it easy with the wrenchs. Tight is good enough. How tight? Tight enough!

Earls and Aeroquip are both pretty good. It's Russel I will never buy again. Cheep junk IMHO. I use a LOT of 30 weight oil. Oil is easy to get off later and if some remains it doesn't hurt anything. Really slop it on and then take it easy with the wrenchs. Tight is good enough. How tight? Tight enough!

If you havn't galled the 2 fittings together, it isn't tight enough! :lipsrsealed:

Back