351W Head-to-Clip Clearance

Hello everybody

Could somebody give me a rough dimension from the top of stock 351W heads (the uppermost edge of the head where the valve cover seats, not from the top of the valve cover) to the bottom of the rear clip on an RCR40?

This does not need to be engineering spec; if you can get me to within 1/2" that would be great. I am trying to sort out some induction ideas and need to have a rough idea of the space I would be dealing with.

I know this distance is going to vary based on how low the engine is mounted, but I'm hoping several of you will chime in so I can establish some sort of range.

Thanks much.

Eric

Ron McCall

Supporter
I think that most owners have used 302 based engines in their RCR40s.
I have a 9.2" deck Windsor based SVO engine but it has Yates heads so it won't do you any good.

That point on the head of a 351w will be 0.920" higher than the same point on a 289/302w. The 351w will also be 1.840" wider overall at this point ( or anypoint on the cyl heads for that matter).
Sooo if you get measurements from someone with a 302w & add those two dimensions to the ones you get from the 302w guy you will be in the ball park..... be aware that a few aftermart windsor heads have a 'raised' rocker cover sealing ridge ( to accomodate raised exh & inlet ports ), so bear that in mind when gathering info.

Thanks, guys.

Now, could somebody give me this measurment (see first post in thread) for a 289/302?

Again, +/- 1/2" is fine. I'm trying to get a rough idea of what space I will have available for the induction setup.

All help appreciated.

Eric

Back