Radiator capabilities

What type of power are you guys successfully pushing through the stock rad?

Anybody approaching 800-900hp successfully? .......or will I be guinea-pigging :stunned:

Craig Gillingham

Banned because I can't follow the forum rules.
its not just a case of hp to radiator. installation, climate and where and how you plan to use the car also come into play.
The car i viewed when in the UK had redesigned the stock SLC rad and fans as it was overheating when stationary which isnt very suited for street use.
that car has a mildish 500bhp?

Unless I'm mistaken, GT40s use a similar type setup (installation, rad, location, etc..), so I was kind of hoping somebody's been there/done that.

In terms of the car you're talking about, if I recall an old thread properly didn't it turn out that his cooling problems were because the inlet/outlet had been reversed? (or something had been reversed, leading to very poor cooling)

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Alex,

the rad used in the RCR40 is smaller in height and width than the SL-C and has shown in multiple cars to handle over 650hp.

The SL-C rad is configured in the same way as the RCR40 ...the highest horsepower run in an SL-C at present is 725hp and there were no reported cooling issues on track.

You will be creating your own monster and may well require extra cooling capacity for 1000hp....the Veyron has 16 rads/coolers.....yikes.

The whole cooling system needs to be planned out carefully on mid engined cars ..period...purge lines, header tanks, overflow/expansion tanks..etc etc ..

The forum has tons of great info on cooling systems in general and they will be very helpful to you when you reach your 100hp target ...

Last edited:

Craig Gillingham

Banned because I can't follow the forum rules.
i would love to see a youtube of a stationary car replicating street traffic at 98deg and to see if the stock rad and fans can bring it down...

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I am absolutely certain that if installed properly, the standard radiator in the SL-C would have no problem at all with the vast majority of the High HP engines we've been talking about here in traffic.
Now if someone really didn't know what they were doing and did not know which direction the coolant flow was in on their particular engine and they put a header tank or expansion/recovery tank on the wrong side - well - then they would probably deserve all the challenges they were faced with.
Our friend Alex here is a sharp lad and has picked up a tremendous amount of knowledge in the years now that I've known him. He would not make a sophomoric mistake as I've seen others (supposedly with a rich and well-rounded background in racing) make...

Ron Earp

Admin
Now if someone really didn't know what they were doing and did not know which direction the coolant flow was in on their particular engine and they put a header tank or expansion/recovery tank on the wrong side - well - then they would probably deserve all the challenges they were faced with..

I don't know about SLC radiators, but I think the one in my car is the same. Yep, I made two mistakes plumbing mine - header tank was far too small, and, I made a mistake on routing of the lines from the back of the head to the tank which allowed coolant to bypass the proper path. Once I corrected those issues we've got a car that stays cool and idles with no issues with the fans. A couple of weeks ago it was 101F at VIR and it stayed cool sitting on grid, idling around the paddock, and on track - no mean feat that day. I'm not making the kind of horsepower some of you guys are making though, but heat output idling between 300 & 500hp motors won't be much different.

Back