Superlite GTA

New car needs it own thread

Some Details:

The pricing which will be a complete body package and lighting package, all chassis, suspension components, radiator, fuel tank, shocks and brakes is targeted at $19995….this car has electric production windows, HVAC system, electric mirrors etc and be everyday optional 4-6 cylinder, automatic or manual Kit Car. GTA is a pre-production name FYI.

Attachments

• front qtr final (1).jpg
    front qtr final (1).jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 5,306
Good idea on making a separate thread. If it looks anything close to that it's going to be awesome! I can't wait!

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Looking forward to getting the details on the "donor" car.....PLEASE don't tell me it is a 1994 Mazda 626....I just sold one for junk earlier this week.

If it were a late 1990's Honda Accord, I'd be real happy!

Cheers!

Doug

Looking forward to more details as well, based on some previous posts about the engine possibly being a 4g63 I am going to guess a 95-99 eclipse for the donor car? I would like to know about the donor car sooner rather than later to keep an eye out for the right deal......patiently impatiently waiting

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
Looking forward to more details as well, based on some previous posts about the engine possibly being a 4g63 I am going to guess a 95-99 eclipse for the donor car?

Now that you mention Eclipse, I looked more carefully at the artist rendering and definitely see the roofline and windows.....good eye!

I had a '99 Eclipse, just the basic 4 cylinder engine with a "25th (?) Anniversary Edition" option package that included leather, moon-roof, special gauges, some fine 16" wheels/tires and the whale tail from the turbo model.

I've read that the GSX (the 4WD version with the turbo) had a different motor, still a 4 but more "race ready"....there won't be many of those around, though.....

....onward through the fog!

Cheers!

Doug

I was actually trying to do a side by side comparison of the rendering and photos of the car to see how the proportions matched up (windshield, A-pillar, passenger side glass) and it does look close

The gst is the 2wd trubo model and the one I would assume would be used, not sure how the transaxle/4wd works in those cars, but I am pretty sure the gst and gsx used the same motor

Just a did a quick search and there are actually more gsx's for sale than the gst's although gsx's are going for more than the gst's

I would be excited if this is the car because I have read very good things about these motors in the past and how well they accept modifications, also they have been around for awhile and a popular engine for tuners so there is a lot available

Keep in mind Fran has used or recommended that engine with the SL-R before so it may just be the engine of choice rather than being anything to do with the donor.

I'm VERY interested in how this is going to turn out and need to visit RCR ASAP!

Saw the new car in clay the other day, looks awesome just like the renderings. Taking pre-orders now, $40,000 turnkey including the donor car.....limited time offer.....(price subject to change with price of kit)

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
...but I am pretty sure the gst and gsx used the same motor

Good news....many more GST's on the road than GSX's....wasn't sure about the GST when I mentioned the "other 4", but was about the GSX. It makes sense, though, both turbo motors.

I could see the GST drivetrain in a mid-engine design....imagine how cool it might be if we're right and Fran could offer a GSX 4WD option, too....can't imagine re-engineering all that for mid-engine, though.

I did like the dash and cockpit of the GS I drove.

...keeping my fingers crossed....:thumbsup:

Cheers!

Doug

Ha ha, no pics. Was tempted to bring in my camera, but figured Fran might disapprove so it stayed in the car. I got to sit in it though and it feels nice, great view from the drivers seat of the road and the car. The rear end looks mean!

So far the model looks very close to the renderings.

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
I think starting in 2000 the Eclipse GT was V-6....the turbo fours were for the previous body style ending in 99.

I like the idea of the V-6, though....my Honda Accord V-6 is a very reliable and spirited powerplant and I have been dreaming of it in an SL-R.....if the mid-engine mounting points for this project can be configured for the Honda V-6 powertrain, that would be an awesome opp.

There was a neo-classic component car made by Thoroughbred Motors called the Griffin...it used the tub from an MG of some sort and Thoroughbred parts for the frame and the body. Motivation was usually by Ford Thunderbird 429/automatic. I liked it, but this is WAAY more cool :shocked:

Cheers!

Doug

I would forget about the V6 and see about dropping a Evolution engine into it. Fantastic power from a 4 cylinder, absolutely a rocket of a platform.

Erik

I owned a GSX long ago and modified it. The gst and gsx have the same motor. The only difference was that the gsx was awd. In 2000, the cars switched to NA 4 cylinders for the base models and v-6's for the GT. This was, in my opinion, when the Eclipse was lost and went downhill.

Fantastic power from a 4 cylinder, absolutely a rocket of a platform.

Erik

...your right, but some of us don't fancy our rockets needing a launch time of 5 seconds before full power (around the 500 hp range). Although with a moderate set-up, 300 hp could be had quite linearly. A V6 would add a nice sound and some more low-end grunt... but in a car lighter than a Lotus Elise I wonder if one would even need it.

Back