GT40 Headlight Mod?

I was just kicking around an idea to alter the headlights on a GT40 and wondered if it's doable.

First of all, I like what Ford did on the GT when they faked the old fashioned headlights and embedded new projection lamps within the faux lense.

This is kinda what I'm thinking:
gt40modernheadlight.jpg

(Rough Photochop)

A couple projection lamps and a led turn signal.

I guess my question is, where would you find textured glass (or plexi) to use as a fake headlight lense? Or is that just something that would have to be made from scratch?

Opinions are welcome.

Pat

Supporter
One caution, before you install heavy duty Xenon or other mega wattage lamps, be sure your wiring will support the draw. You don't want to cook your electrical system.
Besides, I think it detracts from the "period look".

Looking at the Ford GT and it appears to be a separate light inside the 'shell'
Ford_GT___Headlight_by_AlphaFireX5.jpg

2009-Wheelsandmore-Ford-GT-Headlights-1920x1440.jpg

At first I wondered if the Ford GT might be reasonably priced or might sell the inside separately, then I looked it up and it appears to be about $2.2k to $3.8k so I think modifying that is out!

Your easiest way I think would be to fit an entire headlight from something else in, as an example (and not the best one) say a 1990-91 Honda Civic/CRX eg ebay item 390412697819
honda-civic-88-chrome-b-projector-headlights-big.jpg

You'll have to trawl through to find something suitable, you might have an advantage in the US with the number of trucks with flat fronts which might have a far simpler square (ish) headlight which might suit.

Last edited:
Besides, I think it detracts from the "period look".

Yeah, I'd hope to avoid make changes that would draw too much attention. I love the shape of the GT40 but certain things like the lights and the grills (althought they don't look too bad when painted) bug me. I'd like to (hopefully) keep any changes I would make subtle enough that they don't stand out, at least not until you get up close.

I know it's a bit blasphemous but I've been looking at different tail light options as well.

gt40moderntaillights2.jpg

Looking at the Ford GT and it appears to be a separate light inside the 'shell'

Yeah, the 'shell' is what I'd like to create. Maybe a piece of half inch thick plexi could be CNC'd to match the dimensions of the GT40 headlight and grooved similar to what's on the GT.

Greg,
I dont see a problem with doing a few updates to a GT40. It is no different than some of the 65' Corvettes out there or even most of the older Camaro's being build.

I say build the car to your tastes and wants, as you are the only personthat has to live with it in the long run.

If I was to build a GT40 at this point, I can see several changes or updates I would do to bring it up to my tastes. But for right now I have two other projects going then afterwards I am looking at the SLC LeMan's as my next project.Then a GT40 will come after that most likely.

The 'hamburger' type are used on buses and trucks. Lots and lots for sale on ebay
hamburger LED | eBay

The only issue is that they don't light up in the same way as the 'original' lights but then if you're going for LED that's hardly an issue.

For the rear lights, the original fitting includes a reflector. If you're changing for a different style without one, you'll likely have to fit a separate reflector I think.

Would be good if you could get one of those hamburger lights which included a reflector, fog and reverse lights somehow. Kind of a delux burger?

Good point about the reflectors. I've seen some certainly that have them and worth getting them to avoid having to have separates.

With LED lights a fog light wouldn't be a problem. Not.sure about reversing though, would be technically possible if you had 'clear' lights.

Pat

Supporter
My experience with LED tail lights is that they are very directionally sensitive. Unless the beam is aimed directly rearward, the tail lights will not apprear very bright. Given the reverse slope of the GT40 tail, wouldn't these hamburger lights miss the mark?

From memory the difference between the proper lights and the stratos/850 lights is that the proper ones are angled so they sit flat.

In my experience the difference between the cheaper and more expensive ends of the er light spectrum is the viewing angle. That said, anything 'E' marked I would have thought should be fine.

I am also exploring the idea of installing modern lights in my GT40. I`d like to bring the car to modern standards , just like the pro-touring musclecars.

Here is the LED tail light that has exactly the 140 mm diameter that original GT 40 tail light has.

It has also a stop and turn signal lights too. Plus the red ring glo-trac techniology, just like on new BMW`s and AUDI`s tail lights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLer5b-FGF8

Cheers!
Marcin

Hi guys

If you do a google image search for (GT40 Newcastle) you may see my car with round headlamps, Tungston with silver stripes. I mooved a little of centre to make my car look a little modern.
Link to my car, hope it works.

DRB #46 now on the road

Darrell DRB LS1/G50

Last edited:
Looks great Darrell!

What size of wheels are you running? Are those 18 inch ?

I am also thinking of doing 18" rims, more than that I guess is too much.

Cheers!
Marcin

Great look, very nice stance!

Do you have more photos of your car from various angles?

I would love to see them.
If you do not want to post them here, you can also send the to my email.
[email protected]

What are the wheels width and ET ?

Cheers!
Marcin

Back