Sealing the interior - Is it actually possible?

To those that have gone before us. . . .

Sealing, sealing, sealing. . . . .

We've been pondering lately, whether its really possible to seal the interior, and what does it take?

At first we were thinking mostly about what it takes to seal the engine bay from the passenger compartment. Fumes, noise, heat. . . all bad things. How do you keep them out? Seems complicated somewhat by the fact that the roof scoop vents to the engine compartment, and the roof subpanel becomes another possible intrusion point if you don't pay close attention here.

More recently, it became obvious that we need to be thinking about sealing the front and sides of the passenger compartment as well. Not having a car in front of us, we're only guessing at what the body to chassis interface looks like, but how have folks addressed keeping radiator heat and the rest of the external environment out of the passenger compartment? To what extent has the factory provisioned for any of this, and how have those things worked out?

Eagerly looking forward to share your experiences.

Regards,

Colin

Dwight

RCR GT 40 Gulf Livery 347 Eight Stack injection
I have an RCR GT40 that I am reworking. I have not removed the spider but I think it will be easy to seal. The rear of the car is sealed from the factory. Thanks Fran
I have noticed a large gap under the doors but I think I can seal those with the correct rubber gasket.
My plans are to seal the car so I can drive it in the rain.
I think it's possible with the RCR.

I have not driven my car so I don't know, :huh: well I don't know.
I'm interested in others experiences.

Thanks Schills for this post, very timely for me.
Dwight

I have the optional interior package and have it mostly fitted. It is fitting pretty good all the pieces fit tight to each other, on final assembley I will use panel tape and a little clear silicon or black sikaflex, it should be pretty much water tight. I still have to source the rubber seal for the doors but I am thinking my ears might pop when I close the door.

I have the optional interior package and have it mostly fitted. It is fitting pretty good all the pieces fit tight to each other

But is that really sealing the outside from the inside? We're most concerned about air as it flows through the radiator and up onto the dash, and air over the tires and up through the sides of the passenger compartment. Not sure that the interior package (which we also ordered) will actually seal those areas.

Maybe this is the only way. . . . Special Passenger Compartment Sealant

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Optional interior package? In an RCR40?

Edit...
Nevermind... I see now that the OP mentioned roof vent which should hve indicated an SLC

BigB98

CURRENTLY BANNED
Admittedly, I did not spend a great deal of time trying to seal my RCR MKIV, and I get engine smell coming in at stoplights depending on the direction of the wind. Because sealing on the MKIV seems almost impossible due to the side scoops on the doors and into the engine compartment without crazy amounts of ugly rubber door seals, I went a different route recently. I installed a small 700cfm fan over the foot well covered by an aluminum box fed cold air from one of the front inlets. When I'm moving, I get positive airflow of fresh air and when I'm stopped, I can turn on the fan to pull in fresh air and keep the cabin positively pressurized and keep the smells out. Worked out nicely for an afternoon of work.

Hi Schills
I am asumming that by having still thinking on your aviator ou have not purchased a car at this time.
I have a DRB GT40 built from a basic body chassis unit, it does not leak water into the cabin or do engine fumes get into the cabin. Heat is not an issue as the airconditioning work quite well.
I would be interested in hearing other DRB builders Experiences in this area.

Darrell DRB@46
G50/LS1

Dwight

RCR GT 40 Gulf Livery 347 Eight Stack injection
My bad, I thought Colin was still looking at a GT40. I did not notice the roof vent comment.
Maybe we can talk about GT 40s and the SLC.

Dwight

Back