Windshield Filler Strip

Just spent about a hour searching for a pliable "T" type windshield (or other) filler strip that doesn't cost $7.00 a foot. It needs to be very flexible to handle the windscreen sharp corners. No real luck - my head hurts.

Any good leads on where to find this stuff. My garage tends to look like a warehouse with parts that don't really work and it's too time consuming or expensive to try and return. I'm trying to get it right the 1st time...

Thanks - Mike

This is what Jack recommended to me that several people have used:

http://www.spaenaur.com/pdf/sectionK/K2.pdf

part number 825-229 EPDM (the neoprene is not flexible enough)

Spaenaur has a lot of stuff! 1,860 pages of it - some's even in French! I didn't really find what I wanted though - looking for more of a "T" shaped "filler" strip than windshield gasket/moulding. I'll keep looking though - Thanks.

Big-Foot - thx for the link also.

Mike,
I have found that for the windshield seal my local glass guy will sell any of the push on seals cheap as they buy it by the roll.
Just show them a picture of what you are doing and some times they will show up after hours to help or just to check out your toy.
Hope this helps,
Mark

Mike,
I have found that for the windshield seal my local glass guy will sell any of the push on seals cheap as they buy it by the roll.
Just show them a picture of what you are doing and some times they will show up after hours to help or just to check out your toy.
Hope this helps,
Mark

I was thinking the same thing. There's a local glass shop that I've used on my company vehicles. When the car is licensed I may drive it over - I'm sure they'd be thrilled to help out a guy with a SLC versus something like a Nissan Sentra....yawn...

Thx-Mike

I apologize for my ignorance, but where is this being used on the SLC?

The build manual mentions running a taped off border and filling the windshield gap to body with black silicone. I was looking for something a little more OEM looking.

Colin, to answer your question, some folks have wanted to install a windscreen trim.
Toby has done this on his SL-C and it looks nice. That is where the Spaenaur part number originally came from. A "Tee" molding can also be used. Available from most windshield installers, the Chrysler rubber "tee" molding is another choice.

I was thinking the same thing. There's a local glass shop that I've used on my company vehicles. When the car is licensed I may drive it over - I'm sure they'd be thrilled to help out a guy with a SLC versus something like a Nissan Sentra....yawn...

Thx-Mike

I would think the opposite - an OEM car is a nice, standard install, minimal liability. Something like this is a WTF and represents business liability.

I wouldn't have them install the filler - just looking for the material and to be able to handle it and see what they have that fits the shape.

I live in the South y'all... Richmond International Raceway, two drag strips (all within 14 miles of me), VIR, Summit Point all within 2 hours. Virginia passed the DMV replica law back in July 2007.... this is hot-rod heaven. This town is filled with motorheads and I wouldn't be surprised if the guys at the shop wanted to come over to the house on the weekend to help put sumpin' together. Besides, they can't spell liability:) and we do things on handshakes & barter around here.

It fits around the edge of the glass before installation with urethene windshield
sealant. The "U" shape slips over the glass edges. MacMaster Carr has a similar extrusion, but it is neoprene and will not take the tight radius. The EPDM material will go around easily. A simple "Tee" molding will probably be easier and cheaper. Your
windscreen installer should have it. I had to purchase about 50 feet (minimum)
and shared with a couple of other builders.

Aaah, got it. Yuu slip this around the edges of the glass, and THEN apply the adhesive to attach the windshield to the body. Anybody have a closeup pic of the finished install?

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
If I'm understanding the concept correctly the "U" profile EPDM is bonded around the edge of the windshield and then is bonded to the fiberglass flange? So the EPDM is sandwiched between the glass and the fiberglass? Any concerns about not having the glass bonded directly to the fiberglass?? I don't know, I'm just asking........

Dave L

Dave, the windshield is normally slightly spaced off of the bonding surface and the small gap filled with sealant to secure the windscreen to the fiberglass substrate. The "U" section will take up this small space. the trim is not bonded to the windshield, rather simply slipped over the edges. Yes, there is a bond of urethene sealant between the glass and the EPDM and the fiberglass flange. It is not really necessary to use the trim at all, just a cosmetic choice. Toby's installation turned out very well. In retrospect, the "Tee" extrusion would be an easier choice for installation.

Back