SL-C billet logo

Hi Guys
This is the first go at designing a billet aluminium logo for the SL-C...
Comments and suggestions welcomed..

Cheers Craig Young

Attachments

• slc logo.jpg
    slc logo.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 742
Its pretty similar to the one molded into the rear of the car I have to say....

Yes that what I was thinking to? I was thinking of shaving the rear one off and putting a polished SS one back on but it was $240.00 so I thought I would wait and see how well the CNC plasma cutter were getting will work for something like this.

Hi Guys
Today's efforts...

The plate with the car is a simple engraving, fast to make... $40 NZD + shipping

3 tools used, 60 degree engraving cutter 0.2mm deep, 45 degree chamfer cutter, 4mm iscar ECA-B carbide... happy to add build number, names etc.

While doing this I thought about a car (SL-C) shaped key ring anodized and then engraved... Maybe Monday if I get time.

more to come..

Cheers Craig Young

Attachments

• DSCF4482.JPG
    DSCF4482.JPG
    252.9 KB · Views: 687
  • DSCF4481.JPG
    DSCF4481.JPG
    284.3 KB · Views: 702
I think if you did it this way, with color enameling it would make a really nice nose badge

Attachments

• SLC Badge.jpg
    SLC Badge.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 652
Hi Guys
These letters are 4mm thick and about 80mm long for the set..
They took a lot longer than the engraved plate and used a 0.5mm cutter for the mid letter slot, a 4mm carbide to rough the letters out and a 1mm carbide for the final clean up..
I think I can trim some of the time out of them but did wonder if a wax mold for stainless steel lost wax casting might be the best solution.

The other thought I had was to use a silhouette of the SL-C and join the letters to it to make mounting of the badges easier... I will post a picture of what I had in mind in the next day or so...

Hi Fran
Yes the design is almost identical to the plate to the photo by prothct which I hadn't seen before. If this infringes on copyright or other please let me know and I will change the design...

Cheers Craig Young

Attachments

• DSCF4487.JPG
    DSCF4487.JPG
    351.8 KB · Views: 607
Yes the design is almost identical to the plate to the photo by prothct which I hadn't seen before. If this infringes on copyright or other please let me know and I will change the design...

Cheers Craig Young

Craig, the photo I put on is your engraving that was photoshopped into a badge.

Hi Prothct
Ha ha.. that's why it looked so similar

Thank goodness, I thought I had stumbled onto someone else design....

Cheers Craig Young

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
NO sweat Craig....you make the badges and I will make the suspension...now if you start making suspension , that's a different story....wink

Hi Guys
This is the first go at designing a billet aluminium logo for the SL-C...
Comments and suggestions welcomed..

Cheers Craig Young

Here is a pic of a SL-C badge that I designed and had made for me. My intention was to place the badge on the left rear portion of the street wing.

Although I think I failed to list the badge in my for sale listing; it too will be included in the sale of my car.
Jim

Attachments

• 03-02-2014 SL-C Rear Badge # 001.jpg
    03-02-2014 SL-C Rear Badge # 001.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 758
Hi Guys...

No worries Fran...
Only suspension parts made so far are the rockers for the in-board suspension.
I have a friend that builds lotus 7's and I am amazed at the dedication required to finish a car, I could have bought a set of molds with my car but I reckon that I have only one car in me so I will leave it up to you professionals.
I enjoy just focusing on making parts the best that I possibly can.. maybe I am a little OCD that way

Hi TheJimer
Thanks for posting the picture of your badge... very nice.

A bit off subject but I didn't get a chance to do anything on the logo today so here is my GT40's top grill instead. I started with 4mm ali and slimmed it down to 2mm leaving it 4mm in strategic places. I used a 3mm radius on all the outside and inside edges which really catches the light... I must start my own build thread...

Cheers Craig Young

Attachments

• DSCF3307.JPG
    DSCF3307.JPG
    433.6 KB · Views: 623
  • DSCF3925.JPG
    DSCF3925.JPG
    371 KB · Views: 630
  • DSCF3927.JPG
    DSCF3927.JPG
    253.8 KB · Views: 592
Hi Guys
I managed to get some time today and here is what I came up with..

Cheers Craig Young

Attachments

• DSCF4517.JPG
    DSCF4517.JPG
    380.3 KB · Views: 623
Hi Jim
I was thinking the larger one is for the rear of the car in the spoiler area and the 2 smaller ones for for the flanks behind the front wheels...
They look good in the flesh but the pictures don't quite look as good..
I did think a SL-C key ring for the smaller 2...

I guess what I'm trying to say is I can manufacture to suit your application..
I just needs some details of what you might want..
Consider this thread as a sample of what I can do...

Cheers Craig Young

Hi Guys
Thanks for the pointer Fran..
I did this for a customer today, he wanted a little pattern on the face so ran the cutter at high speed across face...

Cheers Craig Young

Attachments

• DSCF4535.JPG
    DSCF4535.JPG
    313.8 KB · Views: 671
Hi Guys
These letters are 4mm thick and about 80mm long for the set..
TCheers Craig Young

Hi Craig

What is the height of the letters?
How much for a set?

Also, Out of interest I sent your badge to a graphic design friend and they made the following comment:
"The “S” doesn’t look quite right. You’ll think I’m mad but each letter has an anatomy and the letter “S” has a spine, which refers to the curve of the letter and this spine looks a little squashed, ie: not enough space between the top half and bottom halves. A good comparison is to look at the C, it has a lovely balance in the “stress” this is what the curve is called."

See link below and the chart on the left. Not asking you to change your design just thought it interesting how technical people can get about damn letters!
http://www.fonts.com/content/learning/fontology/level-1/type-anatomy/anatomy

cheers
Stuart

Back