SLC durability?

Hello one and all! this is my first post and i did a search but didn't find anything from skimming posts, so my apologies if it is redundant. I am no where close to starting my SLC journey but I am in love with the car.

1) How durable is the vehicle inside and out especially with the exterior being made of fiberglass.

2) I have thought about obtaining the FFR GTM however I found out online that it is a rather tedious build (some guy was Bondo-ing everything) where as the SLC is not so much?

3) what serious tools/hardware should I acquire before the build?

4) I am thinking of buying a standard new LS7 engine (should I look at another one I.E. LS9 or a totally different engine?)

5) As far as engines and trans axles I am looking for street use with some testosterone under the belt, which ones are compatible with each other and best suited for my particular use?

6) was this a worth while post?

thank you sincerely for your time and valuable input, I greatly appreciate it!

Welcome to the forum. All of your questions will be answered.
Very durable
GTM difficult build, unsafe IMO.
Mostly hand tools, good compressor
Best IMO is the LS3/Porsche gearbox or the new Graziano. Light car.
Streetable/track = around 400-500HP. LS3 all the way.

I was always wondering if there was a heat treatment done to the chassis after it was welded, or for that matter if there was any welding on the chassis, I haven't looked at one close up or detailed pics. I'll throw this out there and hide under the banner....

No post heating is required on the structure. The TIG welds and seams look like jewelery! As does the Billet control arms.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Come and see them being built at the factory any time.....

No post processing is done to the chassis

Every piece of material we use is USA sourced and certified (available on request), anyone that welds on our cars is Mil spec/AWS certified (also available on request)
Full chassis certification is also available from an independent cert. source (extra cost) too...

Last edited:

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
1) There are many 60s and 70s Corvettes still on the road with fiberglass bodies. The body is really just a shell to cover the chassis anyway, so unless you hit something it shouldn't be a problem. Interior really depends on how you finish it.

2) Difference in quality of the GTM vs SLC kits is Dodge vs Mercedes. I've seen a lot of kit cars and visited many of the Cobra replica manufacturers, and RCR's are highest quality kits available by far.

3) Drill press is the only "big" tool I have that I've used regularly. I bought a A/C line crimper and plan on buying some alignment tools, but you can pay someone else to do that instead of buying the tools. You will use lots of drill bits, taps, hole saws, etc.

4) Best bang for the buck out there is the LS3.

5) Lots of choices.

6) If it helped you...

For durability overall, SLCs have been flogged repeatedly on race tracks far harder than I ever will ever press mine, so I have no concerns.

Thank you, I value all the responses so far! and will look into the LS3 and recommended gearboxes. Are there any hidden quirks to work out or is it a rather straight forward build? (i watched the rcr video on youtube explaining this build is meant to be up and running in a timely user friendly manner unlike other competitor's) I have an uncle that's a mechanic and he has built a replica 60's Cobra. Hopefully may be willing to help me build mine. I am looking forward as a member of this community and when my time comes I will make a diary of the process including videos, pics, and descriptions although this is sometime in the far future unless I win the lottery!:thumbsup:

Look up Zakari3030 on YouTube. Alan has a ton of videos of his build process. You will learn more about the challenges you will face in an SLC build.

First off, take Fran's advice and take a trip up to the factory. I still haven't been up there, but Fran answered everything I ever asked about my Razor before I decided to buy one. And I asked a ton of questions...

1) How durable is the vehicle inside and out especially with the exterior being made of fiberglass.

My SL Razor fiberglass seen a lot of track time and autocrosses and other than a few chips, it buffed out very nicely whenever I wanted it to look nice.

2) I have thought about obtaining the FFR GTM however I found out online that it is a rather tedious build (some guy was Bondo-ing everything) where as the SLC is not so much?

Watch the videos from the above post on youtube. Looks pretty straight forward to me. Example: The GTM takes more time to assemble the doors than the entire SLC build.

3) what serious tools/hardware should I acquire before the build?

Not sure...

4) I am thinking of buying a standard new LS7 engine (should I look at another one I.E. LS9 or a totally different engine?)

Be sure to tell Fran if you want the LS9 in your car. The chassis is slightly different to make room for the supercharger pulleys. But like others have said, I'd look up the LS3 480 or LS3 525. Same power as the LS7, but much less expensive. And remember, this is a 2400+ pound car, not a 3200 pound land yacht like a Corvette.

5) As far as engines and trans axles I am looking for street use with some testosterone under the belt, which ones are compatible with each other and best suited for my particular use?

Grazianno, GT3 trans, built G50, etc. LOTS of options!

6) was this a worth while post?

Yes. Welcome!!!

Back