Luggage Space in a SLC

Gents

Maybe this is an odd question - but is there any space for a small soft overnight bag in an SLC ?

Say you and a friend are doing the One Lap America pr want to travel cross country. Where do you stash a helmet, tootbrush and a pair of socks ? I am not talking much, just overnight essentials.

Thanks

Gregor

Here you go, corvette luggage carrier, most likely it could be adapted for the SLC........ :2thumbsup:

Attachments

• CV luggage rack.jpg
    CV luggage rack.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 1,430

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
As mentioned there is a lot of space in the passenger foot well for a soft overnight bag..without impacting the comfort of the passenger....

Helmets...well that's a little different. There are not many mid engine cars that have enough extra cockpit space to house a pair of helmets when not being worn..
Best place maybe on your head I suspect..

Fran,

I was tempted to wear my ski helmet on the airline to CO to save luggage space on my ski trip earlier this month......might have allowed earlier boarding as well! :thumbsup:

Gents

Maybe this is an odd question - but is there any space for a small soft overnight bag in an SLC ?

Say you and a friend are doing the One Lap America pr want to travel cross country. Where do you stash a helmet, tootbrush and a pair of socks ? I am not talking much, just overnight essentials.

Thanks

Gregor

Gregor, a couple of SL-C builders have very cleverly hinged the front radiator compartment.
http://www.gt40s.com/forum/slc-clubhouse/37959-rumbles-slc-build-32.html See post #623

This is something, IMO, should be available from RCR! :idea: There are two advantages to this: :thumbsup:

1. It gives you quicker access to check brake and hydraulic lift fuid levels!
  2. It affords you a small area for some small soft bags...and yes a helmet!

Jim

Re: One Lap America & Luggage Space in a SLC

Thanks everyone.

I was hoping there would be space behind the seats but I guess that is taken by the fuel tank. Where the front rads are might be an option but I am not sure of the layout and if this would impede airflow.

This what makes my 911 TT so special. An everyday beast with luggage space. When my kids were younger I even "stuffed" them into the rear seats for longer trips....and it still is great for skiing as it has 4wheel drive. A car I am considering to do the One Lap with but as my daily driver ...I want something special. Like the SLC. A light car I can build myself with rear wheel drive.

Of course my 911 is a far cry from the SLC looks and even performance. It's too bad as i was hoping to build an SLC for the One Lap and show thems GTRs where God lives.

But I am not giving up.

So the next question- maybe for a new thread:

Were I to aspire to do the One Lap in an SLC how would one do it ? With a roof carrier. No way. This would be blasphemy to the aesthetics. With a chase support vehicle. Nah. This would take the spirit of independence and adventure away.

There must be a way...

Any thoughts SLC builders and crowd ?

Gregor

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
The only thing stopping you using the SLC in the one lap is luggage space...??

That's not really a valid reason unless you want to take a lot of luggage....there is as much/more room in an SLC as in an Elise...and they have been used many times.

There is a good amount of space on the outsides of the seats also ..both sides of the car actually...

The SLC is not a GT its a fully fledged sports car with serious track chops....

Enough excuses.... "get 'er done...."

Fran- don't you worry. Not looking for any excuses - just trying to optimize. Now I have to just finish my Lola FF to prove to myself that I deserve the SLC.

...and then you will hear from me.

The day will come ..

Thanks everyone

Gregor

I can't recall who right now but a couple of guys have went with split rear radiators in front of each rear wheel and converted the front into a luggage compartment. So a little modification on split radiators, fiberglass in a custom luggage tray that would seal to the front clip and now plenty of storage.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Buddy

check out rumbles thread ....the issue is cooling capability when the engine is under duress....which it obviously will be when used on track..especially during the One Lap of America

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
There's quite a bit of unused space in the doors also. I've spent some time lately staring at the door panels trying to figure out a way to hinge part of the door panel to access the door space without it messing up the look of the door.

Helmets would probably fit up front behind the radiator. May be a bit hot up there though and you'd have to take the front clip off to get them out.

Re: One Lap America & Luggage Space in a SLC

I have it on good authority that 8 bags of pine mulch and 2 bags of top soil will fit on the passenger side footwell and seat. You should have seen the looks on the faces at Home Depot.

I have a 997 TT as well - there is no comparison.
The turbo is a fantastic car - but nowhere near as enjoyable to drive

I was thinking about this topic today and I never did really appreciate how roomy the slc interior is ...... after trying to wedge 2 people into a 917 I now feel like i could carry a canoe inside the sl-c if I had to, heh

Back