GT-R

I think that this is what I have been waiting for. Started out interested in GTM and left that for a number of reasons, and the SLC was a much better alternative but stuck on "almost daily driver".
Here in TN, this would be a "specially constructed vehicle" and subject to year of engine rules unless it is a replica. I know very little about the GT-R but it appears that it could be a GT-40 replica modified to account for the aging and enlarging population much as the Ford GT was or FFR's coupe is a enlarged version of the Daytona coupe but still titled as replica. Also, would pay homage to that 50 year old gem.
I wonder, any issues with Nissan?

Though I totally understand and get what your saying Fran about the GT-R NOT being a GT40....some of the local BMV guys aren't as car savy on old stuff.

If you consider what gets by as a 32 Ford or a 917 Porsche, then why not this as a GT40. If a reskinned Fiero passes as a GT40, then this should easy enough! I'm NOT saying it would as Fran certainly has more experience than me, but what I've seen from my local BMV, I wouldn't think it an issue AT ALL.

Shoot, they didn't even go outside for my imported XKE because it was snowing. He looked out the window across parking lot, as it sat on my trailer, and said "Yep, looks like a Jag" and signed off paperwork.

Though I totally understand and get what your saying Fran about the GT-R NOT being a GT40....some of the local BMV guys aren't as car savy on old stuff.

If you consider what gets by as a 32 Ford or a 917 Porsche, then why not this as a GT40. If a reskinned Fiero passes as a GT40, then this should easy enough! I'm NOT saying it would as Fran certainly has more experience than me, but what I've seen from my local BMV, I wouldn't think it an issue AT ALL.

Shoot, they didn't even go outside for my imported XKE because it was snowing. He looked out the window across parking lot, as it sat on my trailer, and said "Yep, looks like a Jag" and signed off paperwork.

Good ole indiana for you! I can't wait to see this car finished off!

If you're referring to the GT-R I think you're referring too that is essentially a replica of the Ford GT-R which is a race version of the Ford GT, note that the Ford GT is NOT the Ford GT40.

The Ford GT40 is the original, the Ford GT was the more recent modern version of the Ford GT40.

Well -- the language on the MSO is crucial to the process. I had a Superformance updated/changed-redesigned body, Peter Brock Coupe (i.e. Shelby Daytona Coupe) and the registration process as a vintage/replica was almost painless. I'd imagine that some people would see the GT-R as a GT-40 with race delivery attached - but that was my 1st impression and maybe I'm not in the majority. To some this will be a deal breaker.

[SIZE=+1]FWIW here are the Missouri rules...

Street rod and custom vehicle certificate of title--requirements--fee--safety inspection required--plates issued, content--use of blue dot tail lights. [/SIZE]

301.132. 1. For purposes of this section, "street rod" is a vehicle older than 1949 or a vehicle manufactured after 1948 to resemble a vehicle manufactured before 1949; and has been altered from the manufacturer's original design or has a body constructed from nonoriginal materials.
2. The model year and the year of manufacture that are listed on the certificate of title of a street rod vehicle shall be the model year and year of manufacture that the body of such vehicle resembles. The current and all subsequent certificates of ownership shall be designated with the word "REPLICA".
3. For each street rod, there shall be an annual fee equal to the fee charged for personalized license plates in section 301.144 in addition to the regular annual registration fees.
4. In applying for registration of a street rod pursuant to this section, the owner of the street rod shall submit with the application a certification that the vehicle for which the application is made:
(1) Will be maintained for occasional transportation, exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours, and similar uses;
(2) Will not be used for general daily transportation.
5. In addition to the certification required pursuant to subsection 4 of this section, when applying for registration of a street rod, the new owner of the street rod shall provide proof that the street rod passed a safety inspection in accordance with section 307.350 that shall be approved by the department of public safety in consultation with the street rod community in this state.
6. On registration of a vehicle pursuant to this section, the director of the department of revenue shall issue to the owner two license plates containing the number assigned to the registration certificate issued by the director of revenue, and the following words: "STREET ROD", "STATE OF MISSOURI". Such license plates shall be kept securely attached to the motor vehicle registered pursuant to this section. The director of revenue shall determine the characteristic features of such license plates for vehicles registered pursuant to the provisions of this section so that they may be recognized as such, except that such license plates shall be made with fully reflective material with a common color scheme and design, shall be clearly visible at night, and shall be aesthetically attractive, as prescribed by section 301.130.
7. Unless the presence of the equipment was specifically required by a statute of this state as a condition of sale in the year listed as the year of manufacture on the certificate of title, the presence of any specific equipment is not required for the operation of a vehicle registered pursuant to this section.
8. Except as provided in subsection 5 of this section, a vehicle registered pursuant to this section is exempt from any statute of this state that requires periodic vehicle inspections and from any statute of this state that requires the use and inspection of emission controls.
9. A "custom vehicle" means any motor vehicle that:
(1) Is at least twenty-five years old and of a model year after 1948, or was manufactured to resemble a vehicle twenty-five years old or older and of a model year after 1948; and
(2) Has been altered from the manufacturer's original design, or has an entire body constructed from nonoriginal materials.
10. The model year and the year of manufacture that are listed on the certificate of title of a custom vehicle shall be the model year and year of manufacture that the body of such vehicle resembles. The current and all subsequent certificates of ownership shall be designated with the word "REPLICA".
11. For each custom vehicle, there shall be an annual fee equal to the fee charged for personalized license plates in section 301.144 in addition to the regular annual registration fees.
12. In applying for registration of a custom vehicle pursuant to this section, the owner of the custom vehicle shall submit with the application a certification that the vehicle for which the application is made:
(1) Will be maintained for occasional transportation, exhibits, club activities, parades, tours, and similar uses; and
(2) Will not be used for general daily transportation.
13. In addition to the certification required pursuant to subsection 12 of this section, when applying for registration of a custom vehicle, the new owner of the custom vehicle shall provide proof that the custom vehicle passed a safety inspection in accordance with section 307.350 that shall be approved by the department of public safety in consultation with the street rod community in this state.
14. On registration of a vehicle pursuant to this section, the director of the department of revenue shall issue to the owner two license plates containing the number assigned to the registration certificate issued by the director of revenue, and the following words: "CUSTOM VEHICLE", "STATE OF MISSOURI". Such license plates shall be kept securely attached to the motor vehicle registered hereunder. The director of revenue shall determine the characteristic features of such license plates for vehicles registered pursuant to the provisions of this section so that they may be recognized as such, except that such license plates shall be made with fully reflective material with a common color scheme and design, shall be clearly visible at night, and shall be aesthetically attractive, as prescribed by section 301.130.
15. Unless the presence of the equipment was specifically required by a statute of this state as a condition of sale in the year listed as the year of manufacture on the certificate of title, the presence of any specific equipment is not required for the operation of a vehicle registered pursuant to this section.
16. Except as provided in subsection 13 of this section, a vehicle registered pursuant to this section is exempt from any statute of this state that requires periodic vehicle inspections and from any statute of this state that requires the use and inspection of emission controls.
17. For purposes of this section, "blue dot tail light" is a red lamp installed in the rear of a motor vehicle containing a blue or purple insert that is not more than one inch in diameter.
18. A street rod or custom vehicle may use blue dot tail lights for stop lamps, rear turning indicator lamps, rear hazard lamps, and rear reflectors.

===============================================

1984 Corvette GTP below. My SLC "resembles" this car...

Attachments

• 1984 Corvette GTP.jpg
    1984 Corvette GTP.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 796
John, did you title your car as an 84 Corvette GTP replica? If yes, was the MSO provided acceptable or did Fran provide you with a modified MSO?

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
There are no modified mso
That would be high illegal and potentially fraudulent
The mso reads exactly what it is we manufacture and sell.

You cannot title a custom vehicle in Missouri until it is drivable and passes a safety inspection, but I don't anticipate any problems.

JR

The mso reads exactly what it is we manufacture and sell.

This was Fran's response when I questioned him about any difficulties with registering an SL-C. :lipsrsealed:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0> <TBODY> <TR> <TD vAlign=top> Good morning Jim,
:!blank:
hope you are well.

I would suggest that you do not install the side windows or the rear hatch window.....this is common practice in the UK with such cars like GT40's....

You could always bend the light a little and say that the SLC is a Porsche 962 replica....or something similar.....only issue then is resale that it will not have a title with Superlite on it...and its something you would need to keep quiet....as you know what peolpe are like with the internet....winkwink.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Regards
Fran Hall
RCR & SUPERLITECARS 37575 Groesbeck Highway
Clinton Township, Business hrs..Mon-Fri 9am-5pm Michigan 48036

Tel; 586-329-1573
Fax; 586-329-1574

2011 NATIONAL RACE CHAMPIONS with the SL-C
WWW.RACECARREPLICAS.COM WWW.SUPERLITECARS.COM

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
I restate the same as I posted earlier.

The mso reads exactly what it is we manufacture and sell.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Just like John Ross said he feels his car looks like a GTP Vette...but his MSO still says SLC..and like I say in my email to you ...anyone can bend the light a little just like John...

Its no different than someone calling their GT40/Cobra replica a 1965 ...unless it was built then its not..but it is a replica of a 1965 and MANY people use this to their advantage..be it right or wrong.

Man i cant wait for this thing. I too, have reassessed my decision to go with an SLC. Now, GT-R all the way :) :) :)

I know its still early days as yet with the kit. But, when do you plan to tackle the interior Fran? And what kind of style are you going for? Fully blown race car replica? Or a replica of the production GT? Or kind of a hybrid between the two?

Pricing wise, you probably dont have buttoned down yet. Any ball park figure of what the kit will sell for?

I have a few more questions, but i'll probably email them to you later on today.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Rev.

pricing is already set as orders have already been placed.....email us for a PA. and spec sheet.

The standard interior has a mix of old and new styling...vintage dash but made to look more contemporary...

Modern seat shells (slc)

Inner roof panel and A pillar trim as standard.

Interior tub will be similar in concept to the SLC one but obviously very different.

The concepts have worked well for the SLC over the years and the GT-R will mimic them.

Attachments

• photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 1,139
This thing is nuts, Fran! Hurry up and get Dean his car so I can drool over his build thread ;) I foresee a "GTR corner" on the site in the coming months.

Will it allow for a variety of engines? Just wondering if the coyote will be the engine of choice.

Last edited:
Time to let it go Jim. 2/10th's is a snails pace but even you can surely move on.

Last edited:
Back