First Drive & Wheel Clearance issue

First drive was today, made it successfully from shed to carport. Oh what a feeling !

Carport.jpg

Some issues to resolve but still smiling.

First issue is that when turning, the front wheel rim hits the top rear suspension before the steering rack gets to the end.
[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Wheels are 18 inch. Initial alignment is -1 deg Camber, + 6 deg Caster, toe was done by eye only and is very slightly -ve. Since the photo, I changed the steering arm mount point to the front hole which allowed the steering arm to move further but same problem occurs and wheel rim still hits suspension before rack stops.

I presume the steering rack should run to a stop before the wheel rim hits any part of the suspension?

Any ideas appreciated.

-Col

Attachments

• Suspension 1.jpg
    Suspension 1.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 262
  • Suspension 2.jpg
    Suspension 2.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 263
  • Suspension 3.jpg
    Suspension 3.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 307
Not unusual its just fine tuning.

I made plastic C clips of different thickness.
Machine a plastic washer ,I used delrin, cut a section out of the washer so you have a C shape but the cut out needs to be smaller than the rack shaft .
Pull the rack boot back and snap the washers in over the rackshaft.
You do the same left and right and this will reduce the amount of full lock.

Jim

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Congratulations Colin,

Thats the first RCR I have ever seen with 18 inch wheels...

Lock stops are a pretty common addition especially when using non standard size wheels. When we run the wider race wheels on the SLC we have a similar need .

Drop us an email at the shop if we can help with anything.

Last edited:
What no vid with sound? Who cares about tires and brakes. You sat in it and moved. You will fix those small things people call safety issues later. See people already had ideas to fix it. I want vids and sounds , was there others there did they enjoy the moment ? Grats on you day.

Thanks Jim & Fran on info with steering lock stops. I will make some up and give it a try.

Fran can you let me know which steering rod to steering arm bolt hole I should be using, forward one or rear one? What is the effect of either?

Paul, thanks for the support, I have a video my wife took but is massive in size. I will post a short 'Second Drive' video as soon as I can fix steering issue as I don't want to damage inside of wheel. Sound is bonkers, crossover headers and nothing else yet as I need to sort out the cat, muffler convoluted combo that will get me past the ADR's in Oz. Fun times !

Regards

Col

Back