LED for Shop

Michael Fling

Supporter
I had some 2'x2' LED high bay lights installed in my garage (100W- 5000K from Warehouse-lighting.com). Amazing light with 11,000 hours of use. I have never seen such remarkable lighting! Halogens are 90%heat and 10% light. LED's are 90% light and 10% heat. I have had them 2 days and I can already tell you it is a must have. Just saying Fran…

photo-3-1.jpg

Very nice. I want to replace more of the lighting around my house with LEDs. A few years ago, I built my own LED lights for 24 hour mountain bike racing. For that kind of racing, you need light, bright, and long lasting. I wound up with 530 or so lumens per light with a 5+ hour run time on high, and they weigh only a few ounces each without batts.

The summary being, they are fun to use in designs.

I had some 2'x2' LED high bay lights installed in my garage (100W- 5000K from Warehouse-lighting.com). Amazing light with 11,000 hours of use. I have never seen such remarkable lighting! Halogens are 90%heat and 10% light. LED's are 90% light and 10% heat. I have had them 2 days and I can already tell you it is a must have. Just saying Fran…

photo-3-1.jpg

HI Michael, do these look like same as you got LED 100-Watt High Bay Lighting Fixture | Warehouse Lighting

I am assembling a 1/2 round barn that's 12m long x 8m wide and 5m high, as my man cave but don't want it dark like a cave lol, can you give an idea of the coverage, do you think 4 or 6 would be enough to cover that area.
thanks
Graeme

Michael Fling

Supporter
That is the unit. That is about the size of my shop too, except your ceilings are higher. It was recommended to use the 2' units instead of 4' units with my 10' ceiling height. The light from the 4' units would be too intense from my 10' ceiling height. The smaller multiple units allow great light with less shadows than a single larger light. The company will advise you. Since your ceilings are higher, 6 units would probably be best. You are about 16' tall. You may ask the consultant at the company if the 4' bay lights would be indicated with your taller ceiling height?

Mike

Those are really nice but definitely get the lens option otherwise the glare and shadowing from the individual point sources will drive you crazy. I'm a couple months from finishing my shop. I'm hoping to get some similar from one of my sales reps at cost. LED technology is increasing by leaps and bounds on a daily basis it seems. Great looking shop too by the way!

Thanks Michael, for the info, I will contact them to get their opinion, I have one question which I will ask them also, do they flicker at all with the mains frequency, I have problems with flickering lights, and can only work under fluorescents for about 1/2 hour before I have to leave, same problem with the sodium vapor lights they put in the supermarkets these days, makes the shopping trip to the supermarket very short, I have no experience with the LED lights at all.
Also did you have to purchase driver units for these or do they come complete.

Last edited:
I just finished my shop, was looking at the LED's and wow $. Went with the T5's, Two Led's were equivalent to the cost of 7 T5's was the estimate I received. Have heard some good things about the LED's, the T5's are working real well, almost thought they were going to be too bright.

LED's are expensive, but between power savings and long life they pretty much pay for themselves.

I'm having a new house built and have been trying to figure out what to do about the garage/shop lighting. I'd thought LED high bay would be much more expensive, but I'm sure the shipping to AK will be a killer.

Back