How much space

Hi all, I'm Eric, been looking at kits since mid 80's when Armstrong motors made the Countach kit and the Montage was the cool car. Who did not love Hardcastle and Mcormick! Anyhow looking at finally doing it mid next year. One of the last things on the bucket list actually. For me, I built my own CNC have a patent for a gun part, I know how to weld, done tubing fabrication and I'm a software engineer by trade. Pretty handy overall. Hate electronics though.

Here is the thing, most builds I look at, dudes have dudes with private shops, 200ft driveways with gates, other multiple exotic cars and hobbies like race porches and pics of the projects with 35 cigarette playboy in the background which is completely awesome btw.

I'm kinda land locked, no room to build shop and HOA wont allow it anyhow and the wife is not moving. Makes we wonder, would I be the first suburban locked, no room for a shop, having to use my 2 car garage to build this? Makes me feel like I am missing something given all the properties I see this car getting built on.

I never built a kit car but I've built lots of stuff and recently I built a frame jig, designed frame in cad and made it from 100ft of tubing. Bent, notched and welded it. Kind of old school, figured as builders it may have some interest.

img0079ix.jpg

Howard Jones

Supporter
Hell Yes! A two car garage is plenty of room. Our friends in England could build 4 cars in a two car American garage. REALLY!!! The thing is sometimes things get a little tight but you can always put the bodywork out on the lawn for a few hours to give yourself some more room from time to time. Other parts can go under the bed or can be hung from the ceiling in the kids room!

Just do it!!!!!!

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
I'm building my SLC in a two car garage. You will need space somewhere to store the body parts while you're working on the chassis. I put mine on my screened-in back porch.

Firstly, welcome to the forum Eric!
Next, a two car garage is plenty of room if not filled with machiery, etc.
I can relate to moving the bodywork out to the lawn while working on the chassis.
Very doable.

Welcome. Nice bike!

Like Howard, Pete and Jack said, a 2 car garage is sufficient. It helps to have an understanding wife who doesn't mind that her car won't be parked in the garage for a while though. :)

Very cool bike build Eric. Looks like Yamaha 650. Gotta love the twingles. I used to race those in AHRMA and actually looking at putting my old racer back together soon. I would like to say that im planning on an SLC about the time you are but only time will tell.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
My SLC is being built in a modest 20' X 20' garage. I'm only using one side of the garage as I have a 1980 Corvette body off restoration sitting on the other side.

Hell Yes! A two car garage is plenty of room. Our friends in England could build 4 cars in a two car American garage. REALLY!!! The thing is sometimes things get a little tight but you can always put the bodywork out on the lawn for a few hours to give yourself some more room from time to time. Other parts can go under the bed or can be hung from the ceiling in the kids room!

Just do it!!!!!!

Howard,

Very true although putting the engine block in the bedroom can have repercussions from she who must be obeyed even if it is clean.

Mine was built in a 16ft by 14ft shed in the back garden, far from ideal, had to compromise on the build quality, but it can be done even when you only have a 40 inch path to get it down.

Now back over the roof and in the garage, not much fun working on it in a winter in England with the cold and rain, Florida weather we do not get in the North of England :(

Attachments

• camera%20photos%20006.jpg
    camera%20photos%20006.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 233
  • SGT%20015.jpg
    SGT%20015.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 241
  • SGT%20013.jpg
    SGT%20013.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 243
  • 10690319_10204765141519220_5827306444800241067_n.jpg
    10690319_10204765141519220_5827306444800241067_n.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 258
  • 10689569_10204764718468644_6170818447675162668_n.jpg
    10689569_10204764718468644_6170818447675162668_n.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
Great guys thanks for the feedback, I feel better actually. Hope to be in new house by late spring in south Florida. Then I will go from there.

Regards!

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Welcome on board. Don't worry about the garage/shop situation. I'm building mine in my garage (my car parks in the driveway, the spouse ALWAYS in the garage. As long as I maintain that, and a sensitivity to the neighbors in regards to noise (the 4" air grinder is the worst), I'm good.

Good luck with any new project.

Back