Extending dominator ECU DBW harness

Has anybody here extended their Dominator ECU DBW wiring harness from one of those companies that manufacturers extension harnesses (i.e., not by not by cutting/splicing wires yourself)

For some reason Holley gives you like 50% less DBW wire (at the gas pedal) than the GMPP ecu box .... no way I can see to make it work with a rear engine car short of either extending the DBW harness, or extending every other wire in the main harness.

I know a harness extension works well enough with the GMPP box, but I can't find anybody whose used one of that harnesses on a Dominator, and, well, I'm not sure I want to be a guinea pig for fear of it working on a test bench, and then going bonkers on the road

Dr. David

Lifetime Supporter
I don't know if this is a good lead or not, but I think I recall that Allen mentioned an extension to the DBW in one of his great SLC build videos.
Hope this helps.

I already have 3 companies who will build an ETC extension harness so that isn't an issue; it's will it work with a dominator ECU or will weird shit happen.

if you can plug it in with the gmpp ecu and not have it change the resistance of the wires then theoretically I should be able to use it with the dominator (?although does it matter that holley gives you several feet less than the gmpp and will be more sensitive to change in length?)

I already have 3 companies who will build an ETC extension harness so that isn't an issue; it's will it work with a dominator ECU or will weird shit happen.

if you can plug it in with the gmpp ecu and not have it change the resistance of the wires then theoretically I should be able to use it with the dominator (?although does it matter that holley gives you several feet less than the gmpp and will be more sensitive to change in length?)

Have you checked with Holley? My guess is they've seen this before, and have advice, or maybe even a harness extension kit that you'd terminate.

If the Holley ECU plugs into the stock pedal, then I'd imagine that the harness from Current or others would work. I *think* that a longer harness can be accounted for with tools like HP Tuners for the stock ECUs, but I don't know if the Dominator has that ability.

I'm sure the Holley engineers know for sure, however. :)

I'm sure they know too, but due to liability reasons they cannot make any comments on drive-by-wire setups other than to use the provided harness.

Alex I wouldn't worry about it, The gas petal assembly is essentially a rheostat it works by variable resistance.
As long as you don't get the wires crossed it will work.

I agree with Grant. Measure the total resistance of the standard harness, and then with the extension. If they are the same, you are good to go. If not, consider replacing the wires with larger ones.

You can calculate the expected drop based on wire length and size pretty easily. Let me know if you need help doing that.

I went ahead and got the CPW wire harness; i'll let ya'll know if anybody unusual happens with a Dominator.

Hi Alex:

I am approaching the same problem you describe. Did the extension cause any issues? What helped you decide on which extension to use?

Any information that you can provide would be helpful. Thanks

The extension passed all of the dominator's DBW self-tests so there should be no issue with it.

Ultimately though I ended up using the GMPP wiring harness - we absolutely could not get the car to run properly with the dominator. no matter what my tuner did, it just would not run. hired a remote tuner who did nothing but dominator tunes and he also could not get it to run properly.

Ultimately I swapped in a GMPP wiring harness and it ran great with the MAF and then perfectly under a speed density tune.

I am running a dual throttle body intake and the Holley Dominator is the only engine management, to my knowledge, that will run it. Katech built the motor and the dyno run was without issue, but it will need to be re-tuned after the car is built. I am hoping I do not run into the same issues.

Back