Corvette Shifter?

Dr. David

Lifetime Supporter
Just wondering if anyone has any information on a stand-alone shifter for a Corvette 6-speed transaxle. I know most of you are running Porsche transaxles, which have shift pattern that has the reverse that is to the left and forward. My Ultima GTR 6-speed Getrag has the same pattern.

Unfortunately, I am trying to build an RCR LMP-1 which utilizes a Corvette transaxle. The shift pattern has the reverse to the right and forward, and therefore the Porsche shifter has the reverse lock-out in the wrong position. I need a shifter that is patterned for the Corvette transaxle.

Any ideas where I can source a shifter with the proper shift pattern?

Thanks,
David

I would really look up some reviews of Mastershift first to see if they have the bugs worked out. Many times i have heard that their systems have failed to operate correctly during tests, shows, and can leave the car immobile if one part goes bad.
I had high hopes years ago for their products, hopefully the bugs and clitches are fixed now. The paddle shift auto stuff is a no brainer, but paddle shifting a 6 speed is a different beast.

Dr. David

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks for the advice everyone! I'm not looking for a stock console unit, but rather a stand-alone unit for a race car...that works.
The Mastershift unit looks incredible. The cost of $3500-plus is a little bit of a concern, and you are so right, Scott, it needs to be researched. I have no intention of paying for something else that doesn't work.....been there-done that....which is why I am being forced to shop around.
Thanks for your help guys!
David

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I would really look up some reviews of Mastershift first to see if they have the bugs worked out. Many times i have heard that their systems have failed to operate correctly during tests, shows, and can leave the car immobile if one part goes bad.
I had high hopes years ago for their products, hopefully the bugs and clitches are fixed now. The paddle shift auto stuff is a no brainer, but paddle shifting a 6 speed is a different beast.

Ask Gary Cheney over on the Factory Five forum what he thinks of MasterShift... He tried it on his GTM and very quickly reduced a nice Porsche gearbox into a box of broken bits...
It might work fine if using the clutch as the transmission was designed to work with however..

talk to Jim @ Cableshift ... he makes most of the boxes people use for sand rails/kit cars/etc... with porsche transaxles.

Back