Body work suggestions

Can someone direct me to a thread or two on the suggested path to body work on these gel coated fiberglass bodies? I'm unfortunately in the situation where I'm now building my car a couple miles from my house. This just means I can't pop into the garage and get things done and is going to slow my build down. Looking for things to "bring home". I currently have the front and back body panels of the Apex at my house and wondering how much I can do (or need to do for that matter) with the panel off the car (and it has not been test fit yet). I was going to focus on the front panel first and stay away from transition areas until on the car. I have no experience here but the steps I'm thinking are:

• Cross sand the gel coat to rough it up for prime and look for pin holes.
  • I'd like to spray a colored non-build primer coat (would have been epoxy on a metal car) so I can see when I've gotten through filler/building primer. suggestions?
  • Then spray high or regular building primer and a guide coat.
  • block sand
  • Repeat if necessary

Also wondering at what point you suggest cuting holes (lights, air in/out) in the process?

Here's a pic of the front panel for reference (borrowed from flo)
attachment.php

There's also some pretty heavy seams where the panels were joined together. Is there a best practice for taking these down/filling etc. Easy to see if zoom on this picture

attachment.php

Can't speak specifically to the apex but with my Ffr coupe I cut my holes and trimmed the panels to fit first then knocked the seams down. High build primer is one if the last steps

Back