ECU Recommendations

I have been looking at MoTeC ECU's and my thinking is they are more for racing use however you can adapt them for the rest of us if your pockets are deep ($15,000.00 -$20,000.00).

Anyway, anyone care to recommend their preference for a ECU and why?

As always, thanks for your time.

I have been looking at MoTeC ECU's and my thinking is they are more for racing use however you can adapt them for the rest of us if your pockets are deep ($15,000.00 -$20,000.00).

Anyway, anyone care to recommend their preference for a ECU and why?

As always, thanks for your time.

Depends a little bit on what engine you're looking to run. Cylinders? DFI or not? I've been pretty happy with the AEM Infinity in my car. I call it an affordable Motec, but that's probably unfair to both platforms. If you're not racing, the AEM has plenty of configurability for the things you need

The key thing for whatever ECU you might choose is to see whether the crank pattern of your engine is supported by their firmware and that there's a base map available.

Will you wire the car yourself or have someone do it?

Depends a little bit on what engine you're looking to run. Cylinders? DFI or not? I've been pretty happy with the AEM Infinity in my car. I call it an affordable Motec, but that's probably unfair to both platforms. If you're not racing, the AEM has plenty of configurability for the things you need

The key thing for whatever ECU you might choose is to see whether the crank pattern of your engine is supported by their firmware and that there's a base map available.

Will you wire the car yourself or have someone do it?

I will mount everything in location and have someone finish the installation. Finding a good wiring harness has been a struggle as well.

Knowing what extras you are going to use along with the basic engine management. Do you want to use coil on plug, EFI, EZ EFI, extra boost, traction control, etc. If undecided in any of these make sure the system will support second choice items like distributor and coil, carb(s) etc. I have and several others have the FAST system. There are may extras you can consider using. Go to the web sites and investigate their systems and installation guides etc. Make sure with the company that sells what you decide on, contacts in your area and sites for physical help with problems that will come up. Talk with installers of the system(s) you are looking at and ask questions about their system and what you want it to do. If there are none in your immediate area talk to the tech dept.
Naming the systems is easy, getting it to do the things you want may be another matter. After talking to several company's you will begin to see what the limitations of the system are, or if it covers things you will never ever use, and whether it is right for you.
I got lucky and was offered a second hand unit that was not out of date and saved a ton of money. Check on the installers credentials with the company and any problems they have had with the system(or installer) you choose.

Bill

Knowing what extras you are going to use along with the basic engine management. Do you want to use coil on plug, EFI, EZ EFI, extra boost, traction control, etc. If undecided in any of these make sure the system will support second choice items like distributor and coil, carb(s) etc. I have and several others have the FAST system. There are may extras you can consider using. Go to the web sites and investigate their systems and installation guides etc. Make sure with the company that sells what you decide on, contacts in your area and sites for physical help with problems that will come up. Talk with installers of the system(s) you are looking at and ask questions about their system and what you want it to do. If there are none in your immediate area talk to the tech dept.
Naming the systems is easy, getting it to do the things you want may be another matter. After talking to several company's you will begin to see what the limitations of the system are, or if it covers things you will never ever use, and whether it is right for you.
I got lucky and was offered a second hand unit that was not out of date and saved a ton of money. Check on the installers credentials with the company and any problems they have had with the system(or installer) you choose.

Bill
Thank you for the good advise Bill, I will use it to make the right choices. One thing I want is the ability for the ECU to communicate with the paddle shifter. I am hoping the paddle shifter will be easier for my wife to operate. I am not that far from you in Crossville, Tn. and hopefully very soon moving to Corryton, Tn. where I plan on building my dream garage and work shop. Take care and thank you for your time and advise.

Charlie, give Kirk a call at AEM.

Kirk Miller
VP of Sales and Marketing
AEM Performance Electronics
PH: 310-484-2322 Ext.237
EM: [email protected]

Be sure and let him know I gave you his personal contact info. He will be able to answer any questions you have about what their system can do or can't do.

Charlie, give Kirk a call at AEM.

Kirk Miller
VP of Sales and Marketing
AEM Performance Electronics
PH: 310-484-2322 Ext.237
EM: [email protected]

Be sure and let him know I gave you his personal contact info. He will be able to answer any questions you have about what their system can do or can't do.

I haven't worked with Kirk, but I can vouch for their support team. They have been really awesome in helping me. I've worked a lot with Paul St. Clair, so if you happen to reach him, you can name-drop me. :)

I spoke with a company today that installs complete MoTeC systems from A-Z. How about 30-35 thousand and 5-6 weeks? That is about 65 percent of a Lemans with some great options. If you don't know what your doing with these systems, I guess you pay for those who do.

Back