Priming fuel system

I am close to starting my SLC and would like to know if there is anything I need to do to prime the fuel system. I have the typical high and low fuel pumps and the swirl tank.

Assuming you have a high-pressure fuel pressure gauge, just hit the start button for a second to cycle the fuel pumps (you wired them that way, right?) then crank the engine without the plug wires attached until you see 57 PSI.

Shouldn't take long, based on my car.

Probably much more important to be sure you have oil pressure first. :)

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Make sure the swirl tank is full before you run the high pressure pump. I installed a toggle switch that allows me to run the lift pump without running the high pressure pump. I don't know if the swirl pot drains or not, but if the car has been sitting a while, I run the lift pump for a little bit before starting the engine to make sure there's fuel in the swirl pot.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
As PeteB said, and if you've got valves which you can use to pressurize the swirl pot (closing the circulating fuel from tank to pot and back), this will force fuel toward the high pressure pump helping prime it.

As suggested I filled the swirl tank with the low pressure fuel pump and after a few hits with the starter the car fired up. Oil pressure was 50. I did have a couple of oil and antifreeze leaks that need to be looked at. I also have a problem with the KOSO. It was working before I started the engine but now will not work. Electrical power is going to the KOSO and the ground looks good. Not sure what happened. Any suggestions?

Back