Looking for Water prevention solutions

Gents

I have seen some excellent ideas on how to take advantage of the roof scoop and scoops behind the rear window. Any good solutions on what to do with water that enters?

Really don't want it splashing around the engine bay.

Thanks. :idea:

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Strange how things go round and round over time...I can remember a day when we were touting the benefits of water injection, now we're removing as much as we can.

Progress never sleeps, just like rust.

Interesting how they managed to separate the water in the intake track, though. Could that method be used for the air-scoops under discussion here? I doubt it...seems to me that if that method were used it would require some velocity to the air intake, more than may be available through the roof scoops or side scoops.

Cheers!

Doug

Hi, ensure that you have a decent air filter and good waterproof electrical connections and you should be fine. There's so much water thrown about that it would tricky to isolate it from the engine bay.
Cheers
Roger Allen

I'm never lucky enough to avoid all rain.

Could get a plug for the scoops, but just doesn't seem like the right solution for a car of this pedigree. Intriguing approach on the Silverado, need to take a close look. Maybe a technique there to copy :idea:

There is a simple answer out there somewhere.........sounds like a money maker to me.......

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
I got caught in the rain for the first time today. I think I'll worry about getting the cockpit sealed before I worry about the engine compartment. ;)

Pete

Got my hands on a "tunnel" to glass onto the roof scoop to create an open scoop but sealed from the cockpit....no way to leak in. So the next phase is what to do with the water that gets trapped in the scoop.....

Pete

Got my hands on a "tunnel" to glass onto the roof scoop to create an open scoop but sealed from the cockpit....no way to leak in. So the next phase is what to do with the water that gets trapped in the scoop.....

For those people who are using the duct developed by Wayne M, as it sounds like Dan is, you could glass a small lip on the end at the engine side, and run two small drain hoses from the corners of the duct down to the ground.

Of course, plenty of production cars have engine compartments that get water on them, without apparent problems. And on a car like the SLC, which is unlikely to see a lot of driving in monsoon-like conditions, it seems like even less of a problem.

Dan,
If you are concerned please follow Will's advice.
I have not heard of any issues (yet). Simple solution.
A 1/4" dia. hose will be more than enough on both sides.

Thanks guys. Already have drains planned. I have read that the use of baffles can slow the speed of ingressing air and water allowing the water to separate itself out reducing the entry of water via a scoop into the engine bay. The drains then port it overboard like a sunroof system.

I agree this car will not deliberately see a lot of rain, so the scoop generating a waterfall is not a huge concern. But if someone had a solution, now is the time in my build to design it in.

Thanks for the input.......taking it all into the equation. :thumbsup:

Back