Jack stands vs lifts

For those who have assembled an SLC or similarly low car, I'm struggling a bit with whether I should make the investment into purchasing a hydraulic lift for this project. I'm inclined to go with jack stands as I see a lift a luxury item and I'm not sure how frequently I'll be lifting and lowering the car during the build process. It seems overkill to get a lift if most of its life the car will simply be on the stands.

However, if the typical build process involves lifting and lowering the car fairly often then I'd rather not have to deal with jacking the car up and down at each corner and risk damaging the underbody. I also have a paranoid fear of tripping near the car and bringing the whole thing down, damaging the rotors or suspension.

I've been looking at this one: https://www.quickjack.com

The 5000 # model would allow me to use this for my daily in addition to the SLC (another justification point!). I like that this has 2 locking positions and I believe the 3" min height clears the SLC. Are there any other systems I should consider? (I need portability as the car will be built in a different garage than my own, then I would transfer the lift to my home garage).

So for those who have a similar system or who have used both methods, what's your take? Do you find yourself raising and lowering the car fairly often?

Cam,
When I built my cobra I used jack stands, over the 3 years building I was surprised at how often I needed (or wanted) to raise the car to make it easier to work on. Remember it's not just needing to get under the car that necessitates getting it off the ground, but you'll frequently want/need to take the wheels off to get better access to suspension, brakes etc. etc. Before starting on the SLC, I purchased a Bendpak Mid Rise Lift - and can honestly say it's the best purchase I've made. Both the ease of lifting the car whenever I feel like it and the added comfort that it's always going to be in the same position when I lift (meaning that I'm not constantly second guessing myself on the positioning of jack stands) mean I spend less time on positioning jack stands - and less time on worrying about the car falling.

No doubt it's added expense but, for me it was well worth the expense.

Stephen H.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
The Quick-Jack is the one I want! I anticipate using it for lots of uses, not the least of which is rotating the tires on all of my cars on a more regular basis.

Cheers!

Doug

Ron Earp

Admin
A friend has one of these. I've not used it but I've moved it and seen the construction and I wouldn't pay $1350 for it. For that sort of money or a bit more you can get a good used proper auto lift on Craiglist. Have to do a bit of work to install it but it's ultimately more useful for anything you would do on your car.

I used my lift a lot for my car. It's great to be able to raise it to just the right level to work on, as well as be able to walk under it for working underneath. It's also arguably safer.

I've sworn off being under a car with jackstands after a cheap set folded on me and almost crushed me against a wall. I still have and occasionally use jackstands, but I never get under the car, or put a limb under it when on stands.

Here's a pic of the car parked in it's normal place, in the lift bay.

EAC-g0kISiQESkrGhVZPMehBCtznbvcX_YCMvw8Krk4_zpsh2y4jdwi.jpg

One disadvantage? The SL-C is so low that I have to jack up the rear of the car to get it high enough to slide the lift arms under it to lift it. So, I have to lift the car in order to be able to lift the car.. :)

Scott

Lifetime Supporter
Cam,

I find it's much easier to raise the car to optimal height which, for me, is often higher than those go. I did a lot of research and I chose the Bendpack 7X. Unlike many flush mounts it is open in the middle, raises 68" and supports 7000 pounds (nice to know when under it).

Since it's flush to the floor it takes up zero space when not in use. I can push the SL-C on it, locate the 1.5" blocks under the lift points and lift. That's right, you can lift a car with 1.75" clearance and not need to jack it or run it up on boards. In addition to get to 19" x 63" rubber-padded, height-adjustable work benches. So, you can push your transaxle, lawn mower, whatever on it and get it to the exact height you want.

Pnut, who has a really nice two-post lift, was pretty skeptical that it would work well, but he was pretty surprised how well it works. There are no posts and no arms to work around (not to mention take up space). For a SL-C the platforms block access to very little (i.e., the outer seat bolts). There are pros and cons to everything, but this was one of the best decisions that I made when putting my garage together.

Attachments

• IMG_1095.jpg
    IMG_1095.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 680
  • IMG_1096.jpg
    IMG_1096.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 663
I've sworn off being under a car with jackstands after a cheap set folded on me and almost crushed me against a wall. I still have and occasionally use jackstands, but I never get under the car, or put a limb under it when on stands.

I too had a cheap-ass jackstand fail. Apparently it's more common than you think :O

I built a wooden stand with wheels. Car stayed on it till it was ready. It was a good working height for me and higher than jack stands. When done, I kept the wheels and rest went in one of the kids bon fires.

Definitely skip the jack stands.

Appreciate the info guys! Seems like the overwhelming majority feel this is a great, if not invaluable investment.

Ron - curious to get more feedback regarding the quickjack, did it just seem flimsy to you? There is a video the company put together showing the 5000# model carrying over 12000 lbs and still functional after all that loading. The lockout appears a bit chintzy to me but I haven't seen it up close to make a fair call. As it's the most critical bit for ensuring safe operation I have to believe they didn't go with the minimum safety factor for this component.

I have a constraint in that the system must be portable because the SLC will be principally constructed in one garage (not mine) and will be serviced in mine. So I would need to be able to move it between the two locations and somewhat out of the way when not in use. I have a small/low 2 car garage and updating it is at about phase 4 of our renovation plans - our plan only currently goes thru phase 3 ;)

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
I picked up a hydraulic 6000lb scissor lift on the local Craigslist and use it all the time. I built a couple of ramps to lay down either side and drive on for clearance. It is only semi portable, i.e. you can move it around the garage bays but rough ground is a killer.

I know Pantera owners who have gone for the Quickjack and have good things to say about ease of use and portability.

Honestly, you can get a Chinese made two-post lift for around $1,500 bucks shipped. Many of the "US" lifts are actually Chinese made so don't be fooled. That said, there are some US made lifts which are better quality, but my experience has been that the Chinese made lifts (like the one I have) are very good and more than adequate and safe.

https://www.eagleequip.com/automotive-shop-equipment/car-lifts.html

As others have said, being able to lift the car to a convenient height for working on particular components is really nice. Plus, a good two-poster eliminates jack stands getting in the way, or dropping the thing on your head. Just my $.02.

2 post lifts require drilling into the concrete to secure the posts - this is not an option. Neither is leaving posts in the middle of the garage.

A scissor lift takes out the ability to work under the centerline of the car.

For someone who has an SLC, would you mind measuring whether the 5000SLX model would fit under the car, between the wheels?

https://www.quickjack.com/quickjack-measuring-guide.html

Cam

Let me offer another perspective. I have a two post, a four post and of course jack stands. I initially started working from the two post. I got tired of have to walk around it all the time or ducking to access the area between the arms.

The four post with jack points worked better and allowed me to get the car out of the way with limited garage space. At the end of the day I modified some heavy duty jack stands with rollers and that is where the car stays. I find that the majority of the work is from the top, so I tolerate the times I go under.

I'm no spring chicken but using a roller makes it easier. Once complete the four post will be its parking spot, up high and tucked away at night.

Dan - would you mind posting a few pics of your modified jack stands? What is your process for getting the car on and off the stands?

Mike - they do make portable scissor lifts but I'm a bit peeved that I would not be able to access the center of the underbody if I go that route. Not really critical for the SLC but on my daily it would be beneficial. I do have access to a pit so perhaps it is of less importance than I'm currently thinking. I may put this back into the running.

Scott

Lifetime Supporter
Cam.

If you look at the video below (not my garage) you'll see that my scissors lift is completely open in the middle. It is designed to sit on a standard 4" concrete slab (no holes etc.) and the hydraulic console is free standing. So you can take it with you. That said, it's bigger than the "portable" scissor lifts that are closed in the middle and it's much nicer recessed into the floor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwRBzRh1bX8

Last edited:
Cam

Mobile jack stands, easy and inexpensive

4 jack stands (I used 20 ton)
4 tire cradles

Bolts stands to cradles, your mobile and access to top and bottom is excellent tires on or off.

Attachments

• DSC02646.jpg
    DSC02646.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 536
Thanks Dan - that likely puts the car at a good working height but that is quite the lift to be doing with a jack!

Scott - thanks, I actually came across that one this morning. How do you handle drainage if you get water into the recessed concrete? While I really love this concept and it would be a great way to store the lift out of the way when not in use, cutting into my garage likely isn't in the cards (that phase 4 renovation plan again). However, we'll have 3 cars and only 2 spots. If I can convince my build partner to let me put a 2 or 4 post in his garage while we're working on the car I might swing to get a lift that I would then use in my garage for the extra spot. Need to locate one that is low-ish, assuming my garage height would even be tall enough to stack 2 cars.

I still haven't seen a compelling reason not to go with the quickjacks so may go that route if I can't resolve the other issues. Appreciate everyone's insight!

Scott

Lifetime Supporter
Drain: Put a slight pitch to a hole use a mini pump or tie it into some plumbing.

If slab is already poured, lots of guys have used a concrete saw to plunge cut the slab, dig about a foot, put down gravel, and pour concrete. It's some manual labor, but nothing difficult. If you had to fill the hole back in, that's easy.

Due to other issues, I jack hammered my entire floor which was 8" thick in spots with lots of rebar-- they did things right in the 20's.
IMG_0689.JPG

Back