Pre-fitting doors/latches/body, etc

Getting close to me ordering and had a question to people that have gone through it. Is it worth the $2k extra for the door/latch/body, etc fitment? Or should I save the $2k? It almost seems worth it, but wanted to ask what others think. I wouldn't mind saving $2k if I can.

Thanks!

I had originally planned to add this option but ultimately in the end decided I was too OCD about cuts in the body and fit to have someone else do it. I'm sure the factory would do a better job than me but if there's something that didn't quite look or fit right I would rather be the person who did it than someone else.

Michael Fling

Supporter
Getting close to me ordering and had a question to people that have gone through it. Is it worth the $2k extra for the door/latch/body, etc fitment? Or should I save the $2k? It almost seems worth it, but wanted to ask what others think. I wouldn't mind saving $2k if I can.

Thanks!

I think it is well worth it!

Howard Jones

Supporter
The more you do yourself the more you control the outcome. You also preserve options like filling in the rear window and adding scoops or other body modes.

In the end if it's about saving time. Well.......... the window openings and fitting doors are really a very little amount of time compared to the overall build. Again you might want to add stiffing plates to the door mount area in the body or take a different path with the door shock system as others have.

My advice would be to get the car home and spend some time thinking, reviewing others builds, make a few phone calls to the rest of us. Start with the mechanical systems to get your feet wet while you get acquainted with the bodywork questions.

Begin with an aligned chassis and suspension system at the correct ride height on the car before you put the body on. It also helps if most of the weight is in the car to see how the wheels and tires fit in the body as you put the bodywork on.

None of this requires any "advanced" skills. You won't need to classes to do this. It will be a learning process but that's a big part of the fun...............at least for me.

By the way you are welcome to call me any time. Just drop me a PM and I'll send you my Ph#. I am sure many others will be happy to also help as well as RCR.

Take your time, enjoy you're new hobby and have fun.

I guess that's my real dilemma honestly. It seems that it's worth it, but by the same token I am OCD and may need to tweak it so it negates the money spent, some what.

I think what I'm mostly concerned with it how much of a PITA is it to do all of that? It seems like there's alot more to it than what it seems on paper and could potentially be the most aggravating part of the build not knowing the tips and tricks to getting it done effectively. Least I could see myself getting aggrviated aligning it all up.

I definitely do plan to cut my own holes for stuff though, but that's pretty minor and just takes a little patience and alot of dust clean up, lol.

Thanks again for input!

I don't think this will matter, but may as well add..... It'll be mostly a solo project since I don't live too close to family/friends to get help when 2 people is needed. It'll be mostly me and using my wife as needed to move stuff around.

The more you do yourself the more you control the outcome. You also preserve options like filling in the rear window and adding scoops or other body modes.

In the end if it's about saving time. Well.......... the window openings and fitting doors are really a very little amount of time compared to the overall build. Again you might want to add stiffing plates to the door mount area in the body or take a different path with the door shock system as others have.

My advice would be to get the car home and spend some time thinking, reviewing others builds, make a few phone calls to the rest of us. Start with the mechanical systems to get your feet wet while you get acquainted with the bodywork questions.

Begin with an aligned chassis and suspension system at the correct ride height on the car before you put the body on. It also helps if most of the weight is in the car to see how the wheels and tires fit in the body as you put the bodywork on.

None of this requires any "advanced" skills. You won't need to classes to do this. It will be a learning process but that's a big part of the fun...............at least for me.

By the way you are welcome to call me any time. Just drop me a PM and I'll send you my Ph#. I am sure many others will be happy to also help as well as RCR.

Take your time, enjoy you're new hobby and have fun.

I think you talked me into doing it myself. Like you said, the learning process is what makes these cars fun and the top reason I'm building one. I couldn't make myself purchase one put together, even if price was right. I'm looking forward to the entire process!

I appreciate the offer to call you anytime. I may just take you up on it at some point. :) That's what will make this build even better IMO! I could order it now, but I'm waiting till beginning of 2017 to order....start it off right and get through these holidays. I need to call RCR and see how the whole ordering process works and maybe start the ball rolling towards it if they will.

Howard Jones

Supporter
I worked alone almost all the time, with the wife (sparingly) as second set of hands. Not much requires two people and you will just need to find some hotrod buddies nearby to help once in a while. See if you have a local Cobra Club. Those guys built their cars and will like your car.

Del - I don't know what your timeline is but you should factor in erring on the order early side rather than later. The shop seems to be pretty slammed with a lot of orders and I know at the time I placed my order they had just received a fair number. May have been the big carcass going through the snake and they're caught back up but my order took about 6 weeks longer than I had anticipated (and I had already factored in a few weeks extra). Not much of an issue for me as I was able to re-jigger my plans to push the SLC later into my availability window. But if you have a hard start date in mind better to hit send on your order earlier rather than later.

Funny enough - the RCR VIN incorporates your order and conpletion dates as part of the number, kind of clever and I like the concept. My VIN info is at the bottom of this link: https://superlitesite.wordpress.com/2016/12/03/blog-post-title/

Good to hear Howard, that'll be exactly how I plan to operate as well.

Cam, I think it may have been yours I recently read about. I know I've been following it for sure. Didn't yours take 26 weeks from order to delivery and you just got it? If so, it was yours I was factoring on when I'd be able to pick it up which I think was the longest wait I've read about. I honestly have no time frame and not in a huge hurry for it, although I'll be itching to get started. I also have a plan on how I'll get it home and time off from work to pick it up. I'm wanting to pick it up to inventory it and mainly so I can actually see one in person! :)

Del - yes, that was me (26 weeks). I don't know if mine was an anomaly as I heard there was a glut of orders right around when I put mine in and I would have been at the tail end of that spike. I pulled the trigger sight unseen though I was able to visit Jack a few months later. Seeing his in person confirmed I had made the right choice, difficult to convey how I was immediately drawn to the car.

Del - yes, that was me (26 weeks). I don't know if mine was an anomaly as I heard there was a glut of orders right around when I put mine in and I would have been at the tail end of that spike. I pulled the trigger sight unseen though I was able to visit Jack a few months later. Seeing his in person confirmed I had made the right choice, difficult to convey how I was immediately drawn to the car.

I'm basically pulling the trigger site unseen as well. I hoped to have a chance to make a trip up there and even order it while at the factory, but time wasn't on my side. So I'll be able to check out the factory when I pick it up and see one in person. I've been drooling over the SLC for way too long, can't wait to make the purchase!

Definitely get the suspension aligned with the wheels and tire sizes you intend to use in advance of setting the body position. Best is a race shop to do this as they are much better equipped to handle a suspension with so many available adjustments. Something found very helpful was a laser alignment tool that shoots a line out across a room as used in home improvement. Shot a line under the car marked it, then brought the line over the top marked that... so in the end there was a centerline all the way around the chassis. This tool can give you one more reference point for body positioning and be an assist in other work. Get the kind that allows locking of the beam in place (rather than always looking to level the beam).

I purchased the Dewalt 089k laser system for just the purpose Mesa mentions. I also plan to do my own alignment and purchased the camber/toe measurement tool from Tenhulzen's 4 wheel alignment kit (I did not get the frame as I will be using the laser system to determine vehicle squareness). May not be as efficient as having the frame but couldn't justify cost of the frame given what I already had.

I suspect the laser system will be valuable when setting up the alignment and body especially.

You don't actually need a bunch of expensive stuff to do the alignment. An SLC, along with most purpose built race cars, is much easier than a factory car. It helps having flat areas on the uprights. We have had many specialized tools in the shop but generally only use a good digital angle finder, tape measure, plumb bob and various straight edges as fit the situation.

Take your time and double check everything.

Thanks for the info guys, great stuff I wouldn't have considered. I apparently have lots to learn but can't wait to start!

Back