Brake Line Valve Install

I am working on the brake lines and want to add the one way valves and the pressure switch to the system, but I don't know the thread specs for these items. I am using 3AN flex lines for everything that attaches to the pedal assembly. I would like to avoid attacking the hard lines that were provided in the kit, since I do not have the knowledge or equipment to flare the tubing. My thread gauges tell me the threads are as noted in the photos, but they could very well be other specs. I also want to attach a pressure switch to the clutch line. Can anyone help me with the parts/ways to get these installed?

Attachments

• IMG_3173.jpg
    IMG_3173.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_3174.JPG
    IMG_3174.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_3175.JPG
    IMG_3175.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 274

Ken Roberts

Supporter
1/8 npt on one side and 1/2 x 20 straight cut pipe threads on the other side (brake residual valve).

I used a Wilwood fitting on one side (#220-5247) to connect to a 3/16" flared brake line. The other end received a 3AN to 1/8 npt adapter to connect to the flex hose.

Last edited:

Ken Roberts

Supporter
The brass fittings in your picture are 3/16" inverted flare fittings. They are meant to attach to the 45 degree double flare 3/16" tubing. Hardlines in the brake system must be 45 degree double flared only. Anything else will not pass a inspection. You can't legally us a 37 degree single flare on the hardline. Just a "heads up".

Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
The brass fittings in your picture are 3/16" inverted flare fittings. They are meant to attach to the 45 degree double flare 3/16" tubing. Hardlines in the brake system must be 45 degree double flared only. Anything else will not pass a inspection. You can't legally us a 37 degree single flare on the hardline. Just a "heads up".

Are you sure about the 37 degree flares?
I've not had any trouble with them when used with AN fittings and the flare backers..
Of course registration and inspection process varies from state to state and probably different in Canada as well..

Can I use a 3/8 -24 inverted flare male to -3AN male caliper adapter fitting in one end? Then use a 1/8NPT to -3AN in the other end?

Also, has anyone else had issues with the valves supplied in the kit? I have no problem changing to Wilwood, if needed.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Maybe Alex can share the details of his issues with us. I would like to know WHAT kind of problems he had. Especially if they are safety related. So far mine have been fine.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
The usual complaint is that the brass adapter is very difficult to remove from the body of the valve. The only way I could get it apart without damaging the wrench flats was with heat. Most builders remove the 3/16" inverted flair female end so that they can install a 3AN male adapter for the flex hose to the master cylinder.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Mark I think you are confused about the 3/8" x 24 end you talk about. The body of the valve is a female 1/8" npt on one end. It is a tapered npt thread. It maybe similar to the thread pitch of a 3/8" fine bolt but it is a tapered pipe thread.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
AN 37 degree single flared connections are not DOT certified for use on road going vehicles. This would be under the federal (DOT) law in both Canada and the USA. Whether your State inspector catches it or not is of no consequence since you are the manufacturer. If your brakes failed at that connection and you caused an accident your insurance company would be just itching to get out of paying the claim. I warn builders who also consider building their own tail lights. Companies spend hundreds of thousands of dollars getting their lights DOT certified. It is a Federal law that some States may not enforce. Since you are the manufacturer you must abid by all applicable State and Federal laws.

Maybe Alex can share the details of his issues with us. I would like to know WHAT kind of problems he had. Especially if they are safety related. So far mine have been fine.

one didn't have any inards at all, was just straight through, and one didn't let any fluid through

i like inline tube - I buy a lot of pre-flared stainless line from them and have never had a single issue with it - but I never did like those residual valves. When I called them up to complain the guy was like 'oh yea, we just outsource those and get whatever we get'.

also keep an eye on the bulkhead fittings they send ... they like to mix to match -3an to npt with -3an to inverted flare. that was fun figuring out.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
AN 37 degree single flared connections are not DOT certified for use on road going vehicles. This would be under the federal (DOT) law in both Canada and the USA. Whether your State inspector catches it or not is of no consequence since you are the manufacturer. If your brakes failed at that connection and you caused an accident your insurance company would be just itching to get out of paying the claim. I warn builders who also consider building their own tail lights. Companies spend hundreds of thousands of dollars getting their lights DOT certified. It is a Federal law that some States may not enforce. Since you are the manufacturer you must abid by all applicable State and Federal laws.

A bit of searching provides similar information and I count myself as no longer ignorant of the law.. Oddly though there are many AN braided hoses that are used on motorcycles and some cars here though. The only types of AN or JIC fittings I am finding that are DOT approved are for air brake systems on trucks and trailers.
I am moving away from Steel and Stainless Steel brake lines over to Nickle Copper which flare much nicer and do not suffer leaks from the work-hardening of the flare.
Eastwood has a really nice flaring tool that does not over-work the flare. I have the Rigid tools for both 37 and 45 and they work very nicely as well..
Thanks for the tip!

Ken Roberts

Supporter
I own and use the rigid flaring tools as well Randy. I have been working with the nickel/copper lines lately and find it extremely easy to work with. Fran should change all his pre bent lines to this stuff. A lot of the OEMs are starting to use it now.

OK, guys I thought I had mentally put this all to bed for myself, but this resurrects a concern for me. What angle should we be using for double flare of SS brake lines if we have to rebuild a line, 37 or 45?

I thought brake fittings followed the AN fitting regimen these days.

Back