Tilt Steering Mounting

I have my dashboard roughly in position. When the seat and the steering wheel are in position, the steering wheel is directly in the middle of the tachometer. The tilt is rather useless in that it goes lower than anyone would ever use, but does not go high enough. If I do not need the turn signal indicator or the wiper stalk, is it possible to turn the entire tilt mounting upside down? Where the rounded grey square bolts to the grey metal housing is a possible change point. If that is possible, it would really be functional. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_3265.JPG
    IMG_3265.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_3266.JPG
    IMG_3266.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_3264.JPG
    IMG_3264.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 247
Mark
Install longer stand offs to lower the overall column down
as a whole
This will allow your tilt to be more effective for your personal preference

Can I change the steering shaft mounting point inside the foot well to change the angle of approach as the shaft goes under the dashboard? The tilt seems to limited in it's upward movement internally, so the entire steering shaft angle appears to need to be increased. Is that what you are suggesting?

Fran: You are awesome! Once I removed the steering column and started playing with the mounting, I was able to get the steering wheel in the perfect position. For me, the support bracket having a 3.25 inch spacer and the dash bracket having an small angled spacer did the job. I was able to move it in about 1.5 inches as well. Tightening everything up got all of the play out of the steering. I will put the pictures in the build log when I have the parts painted. I love doing this stuff. Thanks.

I remounted the steering column from the pinion to the wheel. I added 3.25 inches to the mounting in the foot well, then added .5 inches with an angled spacer at the base of the steering wheel. I now have full range of motion with the tilt and will be able to see the tach. I may need to add more at the base of the steering wheel, once I get the dashboard correctly positioned. It will be easy to change.

Attachments

• IMG_3297.JPG
    IMG_3297.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_3298.JPG
    IMG_3298.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_3299.JPG
    IMG_3299.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 252
Back