345's On 20x12 Rear Wheels?

Looking at tires to drop ship for my car and there's not too many options. Anyone fit a 345/25ZR20 on their car successfully? I'm sure it'll mount on the wheel without issue, but concerned about clearance.

Thanks!

I run 335 19 nitto nt05s and had to carve out a fair amount of the inner side of the wheel wells compared to the 325's. Not sure about the interference with the 20's It was worth it tho. it fills up the wheel wells, looks better. Grips better than the michelin ps3's imho

According to the website, 335/25R20's will fit. I was hoping I could go a little bit wider, but sounds like I'm better off staying with 335's. I guess it's possible the offset for the 20's could be different and why they can fit 335's?

Awesome, thanks for the info guys!

The advice I got when looking into tires was to keep overall tire height to 26.7" to avoid interference issues with the wheel well. I went in the ither direction and settled with 325/25/20 for my rears. I really wanted to go with non run flat tires and PSS in particular. There aren't a lot of options available for the 20" rear if you have these as constraints ;)

I imagine 325 for a street car will be more than enough from a performance perspective. May not be as wide so aesthetically not as imposing but eeeeh, 325 is pretty darn wide! One other concern - potholes! The low profile tires are more susceptible to pothole damage.

I have a short wheel and tire discussion at the link below and there's an even longer discussion in my earlier gt40s post (about post 70): http://www.gt40s.com/forum/slc-club...cide-but-before-you-know-what-you-want-2.html

https://superlitesite.wordpress.com/2016/12/19/8-wheels-up/

Howard Jones

Supporter
I have 345.30.19s on the rear of my SLC. They required a little body modification at the front bottom of the wheel arc. I split the flat face of the arc up about 10 inches and cut out a pie section about a 1/2 inch wide with the wide end of the pie at the bottom and tapering down to a sharp point at the top. Including the saw blade width, about 5/8s all together.

Then I clamped the gap closed and fiber glassed it together from the back. Then finished the front with body filler.

The difference is at the front bottom of the rear wheel arch. Mine is the silver 83. No other changes were necessary. I did trim the wheel opening return down to about a 1/4inch.

325s and 345s are the same diameter. All the tire tread width increase is inside the wheel well because the wheel width from a 10 inch corvette wheel and the 12 inch wide corvette well I used is to the inside and you don't use the wheel spacer either. Plenty of clearance inboard.

Check out the diameter of your proposed tire to a 345.30.19 Hoosier R6. Mine is about the maximum diameter you can use without more body modification or wheel offset redesign, or both.

Tire Rack will have all the tire size data. The 345 Hoosier is 26.8 in diameter.

Attachments

• aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 502
  • attachment slc.jpg
    attachment slc.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 594
Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Howard. Fixing to pull up some Tire Rack data and compare the 19 vs 20 diameters, the extra 1/2" I'll have one mine may break me of wanting the 345s, least at first. I don't mind doing some modifying to fit them, just because wider is always cooler looking in my book, lol.

I'd rather have wide 18" or 19" diameter. There are more options for track tires, including Pirelli GT or Tudor/rolex/weathertech take offs for 18". Ive got 19" that cuts acceleration compared to 18". Going to 20" will give you more top end, arithmetically but it'll cut acceleration by the a similar factor. If you are a 1 mile fan, makes sense, but if you are track or street, 18"/19" will give better acceleration. Kinda like adding 5% more horse

Howard Jones

Supporter
One more thing to think about. The ZO6 corvette sizes. These wheels will fit an SLC just about perfectly AND you can buy takeoffs on line, ebay, craigslist, really cheap. I have two sets of real OEM 18x10F, 19x12R and I spent less that a 1000 bucks total for both sets including two pretty good sets of Hoosiers R6s. One set I got on ebay and it cost me a 100 bucks shipping and the other I got local on craigslist.

These wheels are on there all the time with a set of good street tires included. Just sayin.

I don't know why I didn't think about this before... Is there enough clearance on exterior fender and on stud to fit a 1/4" spacer to compensate for the extra 10mm of tire?

Its time for me to order tires and still digging around. The 335 Continental extreme 335 has a 13.5" section and a 345 PZero had a 13.6" section. Is it so close that I can't find the extra 0.05"?

Since all tires have a different widths, anyone know what brand 335s on 20" wheel that will fit without issues? Just want a known max sectional width so I can compare other brands and sizes. Anyone have input on running spacers?

Back