prospective customer wants advice

Ive talked a bloke out of getting me to build him a McLaren, for a few reasons and have him interested in either an RCR 917 or an SLC.
it will be a track only car with LS engine, so are there any advantages, disadvantages in one against the other. size wise he's approx. 6 ft around the 200lb. and is an experienced pedaler.
cheers John

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
A 917 would be fairly claustrophobic for a big bastard of over 6' and 200lbs+
these cars were only ever meant for a jockey of 5'10" and 150 lbs max

so, what didn't comply for the McLaren ?

Ron McCall

Supporter
Ive talked a bloke out of getting me to build him a McLaren, for a few reasons and have him interested in either an RCR 917 or an SLC.
it will be a track only car with LS engine, so are there any advantages, disadvantages in one against the other. size wise he's approx. 6 ft around the 200lb. and is an experienced pedaler.
cheers John

What about the Superlite GT-R?

Ron

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
For a track only LS based car and a modern rendition of the McLaren I'd be getting the Superlite LMP1.

Hi Chris, it wasn't the car, he loves the Macca, its more me, i'm just over the hassles of building a car again, so i'm talking him into getting a kit and ill help him put it together.

cheers John

Howard Jones

Supporter
My advice would be to build a SLC.

First it can be built to modern safety standards with a complete roll cage. The full footbox makes it doubly safe. They are also pretty aerodynamic efficient but without a full ground effects bottom. IMHO this make the car safer in that the car will develop the majority of tis grip mechanically and not from downforce. Why do I think this is safer? A high downforce car that begins to go sideway will loose grip very quickly beyond what is possible from the chassis and tires alone.

Then you are along for the ride into the fence at a much higher speed that could have be achieved from a non downforce car. I just think a convention chassis with wings will have more feel near the limit.

Pros will want the additional speed that comes from high downforce cars within the rules package. Open track cars really don't have rules and it's not a race. In addition all the passing is done on the straights and wheel to wheel through the corners is discouraged. More power is really of more benefit than high corner speeds, within reason.

So............I like A SLC for that reason. Safe and can be made to go very fast at a reasonable cost. My advice would be a race package version with a 700hp lsx motor, slicks, and a Quaife TBD in the gearbox. That package would be on par with a modern Daytona prototype. A little less downforce and about 200 more HP at nearly the same weight. The rest would be up to tire selection. Hoosiers or real race rubber.

Faster than I can go............for sure.

Last edited:
917 - f*k off unless you're 5'5, lol. I'm 5'7 and my head is smashed into the roof and sticks out of the window. Any taller and I couldn't do it.

To run down here it has to be a two seater with the seat offset to the centerline of the chassis, so that rules that out.

john

Back