Making Brackets?

While waiting on my SLC to get put built from RCR, I'm starting to stock up on things I can use and it seems that one thing I'll be making a good bit of, is brackets.

I came across this when looking for metal brakes at Woodward Fab, it seems pretty ideal and exactly what would be great to have for brackets:

SP3-1-12 - Buy 3-in-1 Machine by Woodward Fab

Originally I figured I could talk myself into getting a plasma cutter since I think I'll be doing a lot of metal cutting, but as I considered it I think a bench mounted band saw would be a better choice? Also a 4" bench mounted belt sander as well.

I have 7 huge work benches, so not short on bench space to mount them. Any builders have any input on these 3 items? Since Woodward is offering 10% off purchases now, it'd be a good time to buy something.

Thank you for your valuable input, definitely appreciate the help!

I think you will find that guys do what they are comfortable with. The guys comfortable with composites tend to look for fiberglass/carbon fiber solutions. Those used to working with sheet metal find sheet metal solutions. My Dad was a machinist, so I started out that direction, but am a half way decent welder now, so I'll machine or weld it...

I think you will find that guys do what they are comfortable with. The guys comfortable with composites tend to look for fiberglass/carbon fiber solutions. Those used to working with sheet metal find sheet metal solutions. My Dad was a machinist, so I started out that direction, but am a half way decent welder now, so I'll machine or weld it...

I'm not confident enough to weld aluminum, barely confident for steel, lol. At least to make it presentable anyways. My thinking for the SLC is brackets to mount stuff to the firewall. Also if need be, aluminum brackets that I can glass onto the inner body if I needed to as well.

Del,
You can do a lot with a band saw, belt sander and a drill.

I totally agree and likely some of the main things I need. When I originally started looking into it, I was looking at metal brakes to put some nice 90deg bends. I always have regretted in the past when I had to use a jig saw, grinder and vice to make them and of course they weren't the cleanest looking.

Ask yourself the brackets you are looking to fabricate. That machine is rated at 20ga. which mean you could possibly get away with working a narrower part in 16ga. or .063". The very nature of a bracket is to support something against both static and dynamic loads. Give some thought to whether the thinner of a materials will be capable of the intended application. There are larger versions of that style of shear / roll / brake. In a pinch they will cut and form narrow strips of 14ga. which will make a substantial bracket.

Ask yourself the brackets you are looking to fabricate. That machine is rated at 20ga. which mean you could possibly get away with working a narrower part in 16ga. or .063". The very nature of a bracket is to support something against both static and dynamic loads. Give some thought to whether the thinner of a materials will be capable of the intended application. There are larger versions of that style of shear / roll / brake. In a pinch they will cut and form narrow strips of 14ga. which will make a substantial bracket.

This...If bracket's for mounting parts is what you plan to use this for, I'm afraid you might be disappointed. You won't do much better then sheet metal thicknesses with this. Unless your gusseting your brackets they won't be very strong. To bend heavier steel/aluminum you'd need a more substantial bending brake as suggested or a press with a brake (like harbor freight 20 ton + swag off road brake). That being said how many of these brackets would you really need for the SLC. I think you'd use a band saw and sander far far more then a plasma which you might only use for rough cutting large amounts of metal IMO. I was very surprised that I prefer a jigsaw with a good metal blade for a lot cutting (for brackets and such). Maybe because I'm lazy and dealing with larger sheets of metal that aren't convenient on the band saw.

Dang it, I meant to ask what gauge metal people normally use. 20ga definitely seemed kinda thin, but then again I'm fairly clueless on metal work in general. Definitely not looking to make gussets for them, want sturdy and simple. :)

Sounds like a band saw, belt sander and some new metal blades for the jig saw would be nice (and I'll find other uses for them). I can X the plasma cutter since it's just overkill and not needed in my collection yet.

Is it worth even considering a more heavy duty brake? Or do you think it's not worth shelling money out for it? Or is there really alot of brackets I will even need to make? What's the alternatives people typically use? I'm not finding too much info digging through build threads.

Thanks again for any help!

It sounds like that 3-in-1 tool is out for sure, I'm very glad I asked before buying. Since I really

I have a larger version of the 28" & really what has been said about weight of materials is true. You'd be surprised at how much cutting you can do with one of those 4 1/2" grinders with a cutting blade. I used a combination disc & belt sander quite a bit. As well as the band saw & drill press. I don't have a lot of fancy metal working machinery like laths & mills. But you'd be surprised at how much you can make from various size & thickness of square & rectangular tubing. A good abrasive cut off saw & a 4 1/2" grinder go a long way in fabrication. The combo unit like you're looking at is probably too small for any serious aluminum shearing & bending for stuff like chassis panels. Oh yeah a good sized bench vise is a good thing too. You can always use it to make 90 bends in steel. Just clamp it in & beat it into submission LOL

Howard Jones

Supporter
I really easy way to make a really good quality bracket is to cut out a section of 6061 aluminum 90 degree angle to your required length. I have used quite a lot of 2X2X1/8 90 degree angle. Juts drill your holes as required.

You get a strong, perfect, 90 degree bend with a filleted inside corner with nothing more than a ruler and a hack saw.

Source for small quantity's of metals and just about anything else you might need on line. Have them send you a catalog. It is great reference throughout your build.

Pilot Supplies and Aircraft Parts from Aircraft Spruce

As far as tools, a disc sander (you can finish thing to near perfect 90 degree with one), a sawzall (I use this more than anything else) , and a nice big vice bolted down to a heavy bench.

Milwaukee 6509-31 12 Amp Sawzall Reciprocating Saw Kit - Power Reciprocating Saws - Amazon.com

12" Benchtop Disc Sander

Last edited:
Ya know, some how it never crossed my mind to use angle aluminum for brackets.....I always seem to go the hard way about stuff. I just finished using a ton of 2x2x1/4 iron to build myself a 6'-4"x12' trailer too. I'll have to pay close attention to the aluminum because my first thought was to buy it from the big box stores and I'd bet it's not 6061 aluminum. Thanks for the link, it's bookmarked and catalog ordered!

I forgot about the disc sander and agree I think that'd be a better choice over a belt sander for what I'll need it for. Plus I know I'll find a dozen other uses for it.

I do have an average 6" vice which I've used in past to make brackets, but beating them they never come out pretty although using a torch helps.

Sounds like I have a game plan and glad I asked before just buying the 3-in-1 that I'd rarely use for the most part. Next up is to source a place for some nutserts and place I can buy SS button heads in bulk. I'm sure just a matter of digging through some build threads and they can be located pretty easily. :)

Ken Roberts

Supporter
I used to buy all my "angle" aluminum at onlinemetals.com. I found that McMaster Carr sold much about the same selection so I usually just buy everything there.

I'm with Howard. Every bracket I make is hand cut with a reciprocating saw and then rough dressed with with a die grinder then gets its final look on a stationary belt sander. The bracket templates are first cut out of cardboard then the final design transferred to the aluminum and traced out. I keep all the templates in case I need to make more.

Howard Jones

Supporter
here ya go..............Get their catalog too.................

https://www.fastenal.com/products/fasteners/sockets/button-socket-cap-screws?r=~|categoryl1:"600000 Fasteners"|~ ~|categoryl2:"600039 Sockets"|~ ~|categoryl3:"600043 Button Socket Cap Screws"|~ ~|sattr03:^"Stainless Steel"$|~

Howard Jones

Supporter
here ya go..............Get their catalog too.................

https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/1173754?r=~|categoryl1:"600000 Fasteners"|~ ~|categoryl2:"600039 Sockets"|~ ~|categoryl3:"600043 Button Socket Cap Screws"|~

A good band saw will do the trick, plasma table or water jet is the ultimate but it will cost you and really not necessary if you are only doing this once. If you were Allan I would have one for sure as he's pumping these cars out quicker than you can get a Pagani.

Just bookmarked the links, thanks! Requested a catalog for them as well, I may need a bookshelf in my shop office soon, lol. :)

I have my shop split up and in process of building 3 work benches which will be on SLC's bay of the shop and dedicated to it. Been kicking around the idea of getting another 6" vise, 12v power supply and soldering station for that side of the shop. That way the SLC's stuff can stay on it's side, apart and still have full access to the rest of the shop as needed. Trying to be organized, least to start off with, is my goal for this build as well as project management as Bill suggested.

I'm getting excited though, won't be too much longer and hopefully I'll be starting a build thread.

Someone above mentioned plasma cutter. We have a plasma cutter (Miller Spectrum 625 X-Treme). It does not make good clean cuts in aluminum. Anything I want to look nice I will use something other than the plasma.

I even outsource some of my aluminum stuff to a local water jet cutter. Recently needed a 1/4" thick circle 24" diameter in 6061-T6. Local guy charged $75 for material and labor. And much nicer cut than my plasma could manage.

There are getting to be a lot of places doing laser or water jet cutting these days. Sure make nice clean cut edges. Well worth having them do the cutting. I remember flame cutting (cutting torch hand held) pieces & the hours of grinding to get them to look decent. Oh by the way. Don't forget a good 14" abrasive cut off saw is invaluable for steel anyway.

Back