Suspended or Floor Mounted Pedals

Just musing. I have never driven a car with floor mounted pedals. I guess that suspended pedals' main advantage is keeping the floor clean. Floor mounted pedal motion more closely matches foot-ankle motion.
Really interested in opinions of those who drive in "anger".
Tilton unit that came with my GT-R is a nice piece and I don't plan to change unless I learn something new.
Thanks,
Mike

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
My first GT40 (a KVA) had hung pedals, they were almost impossible to operate given outstretched legs and angle of my feet. I switched to a floor mount Tilton unit fairly rapidly resulting in a car that was like night and day to drive.

I think the selection depends on your seating angle and pendulum effect of the pedal, but with outstretched legs the effort transfers from your knee to your ankle.

Julian

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Adjusting the brake bias is a hell of a lot easier on the floor mounted pedals than suspended pedals.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Here's something to consider.

Floor mounts are harder to keep clean and free from debris. This is a serious problem if you don't regularly vacuum out and clean the peddle box area. This becomes even more of a constant check sheet point at the track. Before every session have a look around the peddle box and make SURE that the balance mechanism is working free and there is nothing that shouldn't be there interfering with it's function.

A loose marble sized pebble can jam the balance bar and not allow it to transfer accurate foot motion to the masters.

On the other hand the balance bar is a valuable tool and the "feel" is just more comfortable IMHO with a floor mount system. BUT it IS a race car system and must be maintained as such. You just move the foot instead of the whole leg and the result is a more refined modulation of the brakes at maximum deceleration rates. This is not something you often do on the street.

I think a pure street car might be better suited to a simple tandem master cylinder and clutch master mounted overhead. A Brake proportioning valve can be added to the rear brakes to fine tune the overall balance. Once set it will normally not be changed again on a street driven car. On my GT40 I put the proportioning valve near the master in the front nose compartment so that it would remain undisturbed once set. Once I had it right I never changed it again.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I could not agree with you more Howard...
Particularly about the debris getting caught up in the balance bar assembly.
I have seen balance bars jam and bend, yielding an almost completely inoperative brake pedal on very fast racecars. We converted to swing pedals on all cars afterward.

Back