Unloading With Lift Gate Service

First off I have to apologize for my ignorance. This is my first crate engine I've purchased and I'm not sure exactly what to expect when it gets delivered.

Today I ordered the 525HP LS3 from Pace Performance and I got the lift gate service. I bought a fridge dolly (picture below) and I really thought it'd be perfect since they could use pallet jack to set the crate it on top of it, but Pace is telling me this isn't possible to do.

I don't have a truck, so trying to figure out how I'm going to handle this. What or how did you get yours unloaded? I do have the engine hoist, but worse case I should be able to assemble it and use to put on top of the dolly or even roll it into the shop like that. I'm probably over thinking stuff, but is there an easier/better option maybe?

Forgot the picture.

IMG_20170423_185759.jpg

Scott

Lifetime Supporter
If it's a paved, easy shot from the street into your garage they should use the palette truck to drop it right where you want it in the garage. I've had a lot of liftgate deliveries and I've never had an issue with them doing that. I usually tip them $20 after the fact... but I'd have it in your pocket just in case

Yep driveway is paved and pretty much a direct shot into one bay of the shop. I'll definitely do as suggested to tip if they can get it into the shop.

I keep imagining it coming on an 18 wheeler, think it will or a smaller cargo-type of truck? I ask because I live on a dead end road and while I've seen 18 wheelers pull up by my driveway to unload something and then back it out. But if it comes on a smaller cargo-type of truck, they could definitely pull right up to the shop.

I actually randomly took some pictures with the drone this past weekend. Glad I did now, maybe it'll help to see what I'm working with. Mine is the one with all the concrete, I actually planned the layout around the SLC. I wanted an easy shot to drive the SLC in and out of the far bay. :)

DJI_0065.jpg

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
It's very doubtful you'll be seeing a 'semi' deliver your LS3. I've yet to see one pull up to my place to deliver an engine. My bet is it'll be a single axle rig. Your driveway should be a piece of cake for one of those. 'Driver will doubtless have a pallet jack...so putting the LS in your shop should be no big deal.

Me thinks you're worrying 'por absolutamente nada'! :thumbsup:

(Even if a semi does bring the engine, from what can be seen via your overhead shot, said pallet jack should still be able to get the LS to the shop...unless there are 'hump-de-bumps' somewhere between point 'A' and point 'B' that are impossible to detect in the photo. [I doubt a semi driver would want to chance backing from the road onto your driveway given the drainage ditch that appears to be parallel to the road at the mouth of it ;)].)

It's very doubtful you'll be seeing a 'semi' deliver your LS3. I've yet to see one pull up to my place to deliver an engine. My bet is it'll be a single axle rig. Your driveway should be a piece of cake for one of those. 'Driver will doubtless have a pallet jack...so putting the LS in your shop should be no big deal.

Me thinks you're worrying 'por absolutamente nada'! :thumbsup:

(Even if a semi does bring the engine, from what can be seen via your overhead shot, said pallet jack should still be able to get the LS to the shop...unless there are 'hump-de-bumps' somewhere between point 'A' and point 'B' that are impossible to detect in the photo. [I doubt a semi driver would want to chance backing from the road onto your driveway given the drainage ditch that appears to be parallel to the road at the mouth of it ;)].)

Thanks for the info, i feel alot better now. What you said is pretty much exactly what I expected until Pace was telling me I'd need a way to get it into the shop, the dolly wouldn't work and an 18 wheeler was dropping it off. Seemed kinda overkill for an engine but guess ya never know.

What I do definitely expect is an 18 wheeler dropping off the SLC when the time comes, haha.

I've usually had an 18 wheeler show. Be prepared for either. You can't get a pallet jack over much of any lip. If you have the typical 3/4"-1" lip into your garage, it may not go.

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
When I got my engine from Jegs, they put it in my driveway, right in front of the garage door. I just had to move it into the garage.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
...You can't get a pallet jack over much of any lip. If you have the typical 3/4"-1" lip into your garage, it may not go.

In that event, simply have a wedge-shaped length of 1x10 or 1x12 (if you can find it) ready for the 'jack to roll over. (Shave the board width-wise from its full 1" thickness on one side down to zero thickness on the other side. I've had to do this a couple times. It works. :2thumbsup:)

Last edited:

Dr. David

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Del,
I actually already responded to this, in a way, on your other thread regarding a similar issue on the Forum. When the shipping company's dispatcher called to make arrangements for my LS376/525 delivery, she asked me if a large truck would be OK or if she should send it out in a smaller truck. I told her a smaller truck would be better and indeed that worked very well. I am thinking your engine may be delivered into a warehouse and dispatched from there, and subsequently there will be delivery options, so you may not need to worry about the driveway issue.

Pace is a great engine supplier, allowing you to change the oil pan that you need, and I am sure you will be happy with their product. I'm installing the Dailey Dry Sump system, in a different car, so the oil pan was negligent for me.

Again, Enjoy your build!
David

Attachments

• 20170423_172318_1493085283809_resized.jpg
    20170423_172318_1493085283809_resized.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 325
  • 20170423_172241_resized.jpg
    20170423_172241_resized.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 339
If it's supposed to be a "lift gate" delivery. It won't be an 18 wheeler I'm sure. They very rarely have lift gates. They are designed to back up to loading docks. More like a couple of ton box type van or flat bed.

Thank you for the replies, I feel way more confident about the unloading now. Once it gets here, I think I'll snap some pictures of the unloading to send to the guy at Pace so he will know exactly what they do. I guess he was just thinking how they load and unload engines at their location.

If it's supposed to be a "lift gate" delivery. It won't be an 18 wheeler I'm sure. They very rarely have lift gates. They are designed to back up to loading docks. More like a couple of ton box type van or flat bed.

Exactly what I assumed, I've only seen lift gates on cargo-type of trucks and not 18 wheelers. I've had to jump in a few 18 wheelers to get a TV, 12ft ladder, etc and never noticed it either. I should be set then, easy peasy.

Hi Del,
I actually already responded to this, in a way, on your other thread regarding a similar issue on the Forum. When the shipping company's dispatcher called to make arrangements for my LS376/525 delivery, she asked me if a large truck would be OK or if she should send it out in a smaller truck. I told her a smaller truck would be better and indeed that worked very well. I am thinking your engine may be delivered into a warehouse and dispatched from there, and subsequently there will be delivery options, so you may not need to worry about the driveway issue.

Pace is a great engine supplier, allowing you to change the oil pan that you need, and I am sure you will be happy with their product. I'm installing the Dailey Dry Sump system, in a different car, so the oil pan was negligent for me.

Again, Enjoy your build!
David

Fingers crossed and think you're 100% right, even if they don't ask me I will definitely let them know. The shop has 14x14 doors and both bays are empty right now so they can pull right into the shop and set it down easily I think. :)

In that event, simply have a wedge-shaped length of 1x10 or 1x12 (if you can find it) ready for the 'jack to roll over. (Shave the board width-wise from its full 1" thickness on one side down to zero thickness on the other side. I've had to do this a couple times. It works. :2thumbsup:)

When I got my engine from Jegs, they put it in my driveway, right in front of the garage door. I just had to move it into the garage.

I'd be content with that if they had to, while I live in a safe neighborhood I'd still rather not have my engine at the far end of the driveway... It's fairly long, heck I don't like taking the trash to the road, haha.

I've usually had an 18 wheeler show. Be prepared for either. You can't get a pallet jack over much of any lip. If you have the typical 3/4"-1" lip into your garage, it may not go.

Perfect, I don't have any lip entering the shop. It's just a slight slope upwards so should be easy to drop it in. Hopefully they can just back the truck into the shop a little to unload.

Figured I'd post back since I got a call from R&L Carriers. Unfortunately (least for the driver), he will be in an 18 wheeler. I explained my situation, but the lady was zero help and said I have to talk to the driver Monday when they deliver it. No option for smaller trucks either. Ugh..

I think he's going to have no choice, but to drive down my road and in front of my house, whether he really wants to or not. I at least know it's possible for them to back up and get out of the neighborhood since I've seen them do it before so I'm thinking I won't even mention I'm on a dead end road... Is that wrong of me to do?

I'm kind of curious if he can load it onto my fridge dolly, use the pallet jack and tote it right into the shop or if he leaves it at the end of my driveway. Least worse case with the latter, I'll have my engine hoist put together so I can move it that way into the shop if need be.

I would just let it ride... he can come and you can figure it out when there. Necessity is the mother of invention.

Do you have a truck? Could you have it put in the bed and drive it into the garage?

Del, you're seriously overthinking this - it'll work it out ;)

Thanks Pete :) Sad part is I know I'm overthinking things, yet I still do, lol. This overthinking things may come in handy when I'm working on the car though...maybe.

I would just let it ride... he can come and you can figure it out when there. Necessity is the mother of invention.

Do you have a truck? Could you have it put in the bed and drive it into the garage?

You're right, it'll all work out. No truck though (I'm regretting not having one now) so worse case is it's at the end of my driveway and I have use the hoist to bring into the shop.

I think it'll work out alot better than that and will take Scott's advice with the $20 if he does help me get it into the shop. I need to remember this idea for when car shows up, definitely will need help with that one. :)

Howard Jones

Supporter
If it is on a pallet. You could always tie a rope to the pallet and the other end to the bumper of your car and drag it (nice and slow up into the garage). A little water on the concrete will help. I pushed my engine box into the garage with the front bumper of my truck. Just treat it like it's your money.

Hell the Egyptians did that way. It will work for you I would think. Just go with the low tech solution first. That will serve you well in the years to come and save you a lot of money.

Not a bad idea! If I can't get it put on the dolly, this sounds like a plan. My ZTR possibly could pull it slowly into the shop. Great idea either way, beats messing with the hoist for sure.

As everyone said, it went smoothly. No big deal for the guy to back the big rig down my road. We were able to unload it off the lift gate to dolly and I rolled it into the shop. The driver did offer to roll it into the shop on the pallet jack as well, but figured if it'd fit on the dolly at least I can easily move it around the shop out of my way in the meantime.

Now I have zero worries when the SLC gets here, should be cake! Well other than making sure my neighbor and possibly father-in-law are around to help me roll it down the driveway.

With the engine here, I'm finally starting to get excited! I called the factory and ask if they could ballpark when it'll be done and was min of 2 weeks. I can't wait to turn the first wrench and especially that I'll have a whole week off to get started on it!

Attachments

• IMG_20170501_135355.jpg
    IMG_20170501_135355.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 296
  • IMG_20170501_140026.jpg
    IMG_20170501_140026.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 320
Back