Taxes when registering the car?

I was asked by a co-worker about registering my car and got me thinking... I'm sure it may vary by state, but generally speaking how does paying taxes typically work with a component car? Is it stated on the certificate? Do you have to provide proof, and if so what all do you have to provide?

Just wanted to ask since I'm not coming up with anything on the search function and figured if it's a chunk of cash I may want to start putting money aside for when the time comes.

Thanks for any info!

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
In Ohio, to get through the inspection, I had to show receipts for all the major components of the car (kit, transaxle, engine). I paid tax on everything included in those receipts that I hadn't already paid OH sales tax on.

In Ohio, to get through the inspection, I had to show receipts for all the major components of the car (kit, transaxle, engine). I paid tax on everything included in those receipts that I hadn't already paid OH sales tax on.

Thanks Pete. That's what I kind of what I expected, but really hoped it wouldn't be...... I'm cheap and it sucks paying taxes. :) Basically bring the receipts/invoices for bulk of the car then. It'd be nice if I was able to not have to pay taxes on the optional stuff, like I upgraded to the full carbon interior, that'd save a little bit, but don't really expect that to be an option.

When I built my 6x12 utility trailer out of 1/4" angle, I had to bring it to the state police, with receipts for them to inspect it. Then they actually stamped a serial number on the tongue. Hopefully they won't have to stamp anything on a vehicle.

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
They didn't stamp anything, but they did rivet on two plates with the assigned VIN and one sticker with the assigned VIN. I at least got to suggest where they should put them.

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
As stated it varies, not only by state but who you get at the DMV and their mood that day!

I was able to direct the DMV assistant to the manufacturers web page for a basic kit and they took that and entered into the system as the MSRP and I happily handed over NV sales tax on the MSRP.

The VIN tag came in the mail a couple weeks later with two rivets and instructions how to attach.

Julian

Good to hear hopefully I have a chance about VIN location or even do it myself. This is probably every where in US, but around Louisiana we have titling companies. It's basically a sub of the DMV minus the wait. I've done vehicle registrations there, renewed registrations, even renewed my license at them. They charge a nominal fee, but beats dealing with the DMV directly.

Come to think of it, several years ago I built a Honda CRF50 (yes the kid's dirtbike) to be street legal. I originally did it just to see if I could... I did all the mods to make it hold a 200lb person, made my own wiring harness and added all the correct lighting and horn. It originally had the stock 50cc engine (34-35mph with me on it), but was upgraded later one to a Lifan 125 (55mph with me on it). I had bring it to the State Police to get them to sign off on it after they made sure everything worked. Trooper actually thought it was pretty humorous, as did most people around town. I took the pink sheet trooper signed off on, the ORV title with insurance and applied for a plate and street title at one of these title companies. Went remarkably smooth and I think they went off the price listed on the ORV. I'd get constantly pulled over on it, but with insurance, inspection, and registration they couldn't do anything. It was quite fun, even applied for a personalized plate FIDDY which still hangs on my wall since it's been sold and we get to keep the plates in LA. Now that I think about it, I bet registering the SLC will be about the same steps....just more taxes to pay :)

Quite alot of upgrades over time, even skinned the plastics in real 2x2 carbon fiber... ain't it cute? haha.

IMG_8527.jpg

IMG_8538.jpg

IMG_8578.jpg

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Each state varies significantly. Before the SL-C, I built a Cobra replica. I was living in FL at the time I titled it. I had a VIN plate made by an engraving shop and had them engrave the VIN on the MSO. FL accepted that with no issue. Because it was more then 6 months from when I bought the kit to when I titled it, they didn't charge me ANY sales tax.

Each state varies significantly. Before the SL-C, I built a Cobra replica. I was living in FL at the time I titled it. I had a VIN plate made by an engraving shop and had them engrave the VIN on the MSO. FL accepted that with no issue. Because it was more then 6 months from when I bought the kit to when I titled it, they didn't charge me ANY sales tax.

Oh wow! That's pretty awesome though I know I don't have luck like that, I call it the Calloway Curse. Guess when it gets here I need to buckle down and get it registered as quick as possible... Plus I can't wait to drive it anyways. I have a wife but no kids which I'm kind of thankful for with the car almost here.

I like the custom VIN idea, if I am able to pull something like that off I definitely will.

I hear a lot of people register there SLC through Montata. Since there is no inspection, do you have to pay a tax?

How to register an exotic car in Montana TAX FREE

That's very interesting there. I've never heard of it before, but does seem like a loop hole of sorts to get out of emissions and state tax.

It's definitely something to consider. Although i don't have to worry about emissions every year I will have to pass initial inspection so I may be forced to have cats at first when I'd rather a bigger muffler and no cats to tone down the side exit exhaust.

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
I've always wondered why there are so many SL-Cs with Montana plates....and how that can possibly be legal.

Back