Extended Lower Ball Joint part number?

So as I approach my first “annual” and 5000 miles of street and track use, the suspension on my car will be the main area of scrutiny. Does anyone have the part number for the lower ball joint, with the extended stud, that will fit the RCR GT-40 LCAs? Any racers out there use the QA1’s or other quality joints?

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
I did not like (so I did not use it) my QA1 extended low friction ball joint. I had about .005" play in the ball axially, had no boot on it to keep debris out of the grease, and had no adjustable seat to take up the play that I measured. Yes, it was low (no) friction, but I didn't like the idea of a brand new ball joint being no better than a worn out one. Questions regarding the play, to the vendor, was "that's how they make it low friction".

My second choice, which I like and did use was the AFCO low friction extended ball joint, which is a more accurate description of the friction level, and it does have a boot, with no play in the ball.

I guess for a strictly racing application, the boot is not as important.

Last edited:
Terry, good to know. Yes, the QA1's are lower friction and may even be rebuildable but there are other, better options out there....I just need a part number to order and compare.

I did not like (so I did not use it) my QA1 extended low friction ball joint. I had about .005" play in the ball axially, had no boot on it to keep debris out of the grease, and had no adjustable seat to take up the play that I measured. Yes, it was low (no) friction, but I didn't like the idea of a brand new ball joint being no better than a worn out one. Questions regarding the play, to the vendor, was "that's how they make it low friction".

My second choice, which I like and did use was the AFCO low friction extended ball joint, which is a more accurate description of the friction level, and it does have a boot, with no play in the ball.

I guess for a strictly racing application, the boot is not as important.

The QA1s are more accurately described as "adjustable friction" as with their required tools, you can set the drag or friction level exactly where you want it. They are completely adjustable.

They don't ship with boots or any hardware, but the boot from other joints fits fine.

I'm running them on the front of my SLC and like them a lot so far, using the custom adapters I designed, and Moog boots.

Tom how is that ball joint extended? I have a clearance issue between the 6 piston caliper and the lower control arm on the mk-1. When I turn full in at ride height it makes contact on the arm. Its not possible to move the caliper up but if the ball joint had a longer stud on it, it would give me more clearance, I was going to talk to you to see about your set up as this is a first for me on these .......................................m

Mahlon,
Longer stud and will drop your lower control arms a bit. The clearance issue between the 6 piston caliper and LCA will limit your turning radius to something near an SR-71. We'll talk more next week...

Will,
What part number are you using for the QA1 on the SLC? I'll take a look at the specs... No biggy on the dust covers as I have spares and they're easy to get.

Mahlon,
Longer stud and will drop your lower control arms a bit. The clearance issue between the 6 piston caliper and LCA will limit your turning radius to something near an SR-71. We'll talk more next week...

Will,
What part number are you using for the QA1 on the SLC? I'll take a look at the specs... No biggy on the dust covers as I have spares and they're easy to get.

The details are in the SLC wiki here. I have a supply of the aluminum spacers used to compensate for the longer stud in the QA1s (and some other ones) if anyone needs them.

Will, thanks for the Wiki link. I may just order all 3 part numbers to see what works for me and return the two I don't need. There has been some back channel chatter in the past on using the longer stud ball joints for the LCA but I can't seem to find the part number that will work.

Back