Race Tail Body Mounting

Been staring at this for a while and can't quite figure it all out. I have an SL-C with a race tail and was looking to see if someone has some pictures of the mounting of the diffuser and the hinging of the tail. My diffuser brackets are back ordered and I don't have any hinges or brackets for the tail, so am thinking the tail hinges off the diffuser.

With respect to the body, I bought the interior tub which has the body pretty much set with little play front to back. problem is I have almost no clearance between the front of the wheel openings and the tires. Looks like I am going to have to play with the wheel alignment to move the tires back, but wanted to see if others have had this issue and how they dealt with it.

Howard Jones

Supporter
I made my own pieces but the aluminum OEM pieces work the same way without the adjustability.

Attachments

• HPIM1309.jpg
    HPIM1309.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 410
  • HPIM1310.jpg
    HPIM1310.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 348
  • HPIM1311.jpg
    HPIM1311.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 344
The tail does indeed pivot on the diffuser- at least mine does. The long aluminum pieces are bolted to the body under the tail lights, and these are attached to a bobbin which is bolted to the diffuser; the bolt holding the bobbin to the diffuser is the pivot point.

Edit: the online manual discusses this, though doesn't show any pictures. If you don't have access to the manual through the Superlitecars.com website, call the factory on Monday to get an account setup.

Thanks. I have access to the manual, but don't have any strips of aluminum to mount the tail or anything to mount the diffuser. I have some aluminum brackets that I couldn't figure out what they were - I think now they are the bobbin for mounting the body. My packing list shows a back ordered diffuser mounting bracket so I was trying to figure out if I was missing something else or if I have to fab something. I also don't have my transaxle yet - is that what the diffuser mounts to?

The diffuser bolts to the chassis. Mine is an older car, and I think the mounting method may have slightly changed over the years. Can you post a pic of your diffuser on the chassis where you think it should go? We might be able to better understand the issue you are having.

Regarding wheel well opening - I have some fairly detailed photos and measurements here:

14. It’s all about the stance – Cam's Superlite SLC

This is with the suspension arms centered within the pickups. I found the same thing you did, tight at the front for fronts and at the rear for rears. Will try shifting their locations within the pickups to see if I can get the wheels better centered but it'll be a bit before I can get back to the car. If you go this path would appreciate you posting pics!

Thanks Cam. Those pictures and description really help. I am probably a few months from getting things to a point where I am aligning the body and wheels but just from looking at how it is attached I have room to move things just within the spacers that are installed. I will be posting pictures through the build (or will try to at least).

I have attached a picture of the diffuser located about where I think it should be, just looking to see how others have mounted it so I can get some brackets made.

Attachments

• Diffuser.JPG
    Diffuser.JPG
    521.8 KB · Views: 389
Back