Porsche 996 GT3 powered SLC recently sold

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
That car didn't have air conditioning, wasn't painted, and had some issues that still needed to be worked out. I think those factors significantly effected the selling price.

There was an Ultima GTR that sold last spring on BaT for $100K, so it is possible to get a fair amount for this type of car on that site. However, they do have a well-earned reputation for making the seller agree to an unreasonably low reserve in order to list their car.

If you sell something like an SLC online expect to get raped unless youre willing to hold out for the right buyer.

Pete, I have to disagree with you a bit there. AC and paint have no business on a track focused SLC and as it's pretty evident that was Tim's vision with that car. Not everybody is out to build a show car. The SLC is designed to perform well at the track and all these gadgets and luxuries we're all adding to it just takes away from the original design intent. Tim put together a great set of components which the next owner will appreciate.

I suspect a track focused SLC is worth less than one of the ones with nice interior. I say that being one of the ones with a more track focused car.

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Pete, I have to disagree with you a bit there. AC and paint have no business on a track focused SLC and as it's pretty evident that was Tim's vision with that car. Not everybody is out to build a show car. The SLC is designed to perform well at the track and all these gadgets and luxuries we're all adding to it just takes away from the original design intent. Tim put together a great set of components which the next owner will appreciate.

The OP asked why the car didn't sell for more $$$. I didn't say it wasn't a good track car, just that if the car was equipped with A/C and was painted it probably would have sold for more money. It's an extremely niche car to begin with and a track only car makes it even more niche.

What that car represents is the most natural thing to do with the SLC, I'm a little perplexed with what the majority of people are building. But I guess that's the beauty of these cars they're a blank canvas for craftsmen to exercise their creativity and to your point Pete there is a specific direction most folks are going in.

I love and appreciate the other people's cars that are very well finished. But that's not my thing. Hope those 'other people' can appreciate the more 'raw' cars... But, if YOU are happy with YOUR car, that is all that really matters!

Back