New SLC owner

Hi everybody.

First of all thank you to fellow superlite slc owners for all the valuable info on this forum.

I visited the factory in June, attended the factory five Cobra replica build school with my 12 year old son in order to see if a kit car build was a reasonable project for us, and even though they are completely different kits, I believe the experience was very helpful.

We absolutely loved the experience, my kid is definitely a gearhead in the making and we can't wait to start our project.

Ordered the kit October 1st. Deep blue with gold forgestar CF5V wheels, street tail, LS3 and graziano tranny.

I want it to be my daily driver, most days anyway. Yes, I can handle it. My last daily drivers were : Nissan GTR with 700+ HP, Lotus Elise, 1976 Porsche 930.

I will have lots of questions once I start the project, I am sure, and I know you guys are awesome in providing guidance.

Fran has ben fantastic, and after the factory tour, I had to have an SLC.

Looking forward to the build and turning wrenches with my son and getting to know as many of you as possible.

Cheers,

Hector

THanks , great memories of my dad showing me the ropes and now passing the torch. Dream come true. And amazing kit, definitely nothing like this available in years past. Beautiful car.

I have 5 kids (3 girls, 2 boys from 10 years down to 11 months) and I am persistent in reminding my wife that a component car build like the SL-C would be an amazing experience for the kids. She grins but she knows it would be fun for a few of them at least.

Congrats on the upcoming build. I hope to join the ranks before too terribly long.

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Congrats!

Daily driver? I don't know about that. An Elise is waaaaay more civilized.

Howard Jones

Supporter
I have a complete SLC that is getting near the end of the setup and punchlist phase. I am in New Braunfels Tx 78132. If you want to chat contact me via email or PM and we can exchange ph #s.

Daily driver..........well I would agree you could drive it any day but I not sure about every day............. like to work, 5 days a week. But then it's all about how you build it. First and foremost is the lift kit. You will FOR SURE need the lift kit for a streetcar. Second maybe 1st in Texas is air conditioning. I don't have it in my track car but you will need it in yours, unless its a 3 month a year car. Winter only.

Have fun with your son. If you need help, I promise to try.

Howard Jones.

I have a complete SLC that is getting near the end of the setup and punchlist phase. I am in New Braunfels Tx 78132. If you want to chat contact me via email or PM and we can exchange ph #s.

Daily driver..........well I would agree you could drive it any day but I not sure about every day............. like to work, 5 days a week. But then it's all about how you build it. First and foremost is the lift kit. You will FOR SURE need the lift kit for a streetcar. Second maybe 1st in Texas is air conditioning. I don't have it in my track car but you will need it in yours, unless its a 3 month a year car. Winter only.

Have fun with your son. If you need help, I promise to try.

Howard Jones.

Thanks man , I go to Austin, San Antonio all the time, I will probably visit you soon . Advice noted. Both lift kit and AC ordered. Plan on lots of insulation.

PM on the way

I have 5 kids (3 girls, 2 boys from 10 years down to 11 months) and I am persistent in reminding my wife that a component car build like the SL-C would be an amazing experience for the kids. She grins but she knows it would be fun for a few of them at least.

Congrats on the upcoming build. I hope to join the ranks before too terribly long.

It took a while to convince the wife , but kit is on the way , enjoy the kids, parenting has been one of the best parts of my life for sure, and My Son loves cars, and turning wrenches, icing on the cake. Hang in there your kids are still little and you need lots of college funds.

HCF - John

Gearbox / Brake Systems
Thanks man , I go to Austin, San Antonio all the time, I will probably visit you soon . Advice noted. Both lift kit and AC ordered. Plan on lots of insulation.

PM on the way

I second Howard's recommendations. If you're going to daily drive the SLC in Texas heat I'd order RCR's deflector and insulate both the outside and the inside of the footbox - that aluminum tub gets pretty hot without it.

On the insulation, I'd do the outside of the footbox in the metal-faced 3 part insulation DEI sells (Amazon.com: DEI 050503 Floor & Tunnel Shield II - Heat and Sound Insulation, 42" x 48" (14 sq. ft.): Automotive) and the inside with a stick-on HVAC insulation. Just doing the outside is good enough while you have airflow to keep the interior OK, but once you park the car, the tub absorbs some of that heat and radiates it inwards.

I'd also run water pipes offset as far as possible in the side pods, and insulate them as well. 220 degree water right up against the aluminum.

With those things in place, and upgraded radiator fans, you're probably good in TX summer heat. If you want to go one step further, you can always put that clear flim on the windows to cut down on heat from the sun.

That little vintage air A/C is pretty remarkable... I saw it cut as much as 50 degrees from ambient. 55 degree vent temps when it's 100 outside is heaven.
Best,
John

Hector!

By "West Texas" do you mean San Angelo?

If so, I was your next door neighbor! I remember your family, your GTR etc. Small world....

I am back in the "suburbs" of Lone Oak, TX but make it to SA pretty often. I may stop by sometime to see your progress.

Doc Kaler

Hector!

By "West Texas" do you mean San Angelo?

If so, I was your next door neighbor! I remember your family, your GTR etc. Small world....

I am back in the "suburbs" of Lone Oak, TX but make it to SA pretty often. I may stop by sometime to see your progress.

Doc Kaler

Yes, I was bummed out I never got to see your project, come by anytime, I should get mine sometime in the spring.

I second Howard's recommendations. If you're going to daily drive the SLC in Texas heat I'd order RCR's deflector and insulate both the outside and the inside of the footbox - that aluminum tub gets pretty hot without it.

On the insulation, I'd do the outside of the footbox in the metal-faced 3 part insulation DEI sells (Amazon.com: DEI 050503 Floor & Tunnel Shield II - Heat and Sound Insulation, 42" x 48" (14 sq. ft.): Automotive) and the inside with a stick-on HVAC insulation. Just doing the outside is good enough while you have airflow to keep the interior OK, but once you park the car, the tub absorbs some of that heat and radiates it inwards.

I'd also run water pipes offset as far as possible in the side pods, and insulate them as well. 220 degree water right up against the aluminum.

With those things in place, and upgraded radiator fans, you're probably good in TX summer heat. If you want to go one step further, you can always put that clear flim on the windows to cut down on heat from the sun.

That little vintage air A/C is pretty remarkable... I saw it cut as much as 50 degrees from ambient. 55 degree vent temps when it's 100 outside is heaven.
Best,
John

John:

In addition to the double insulation, what about applying a spray on such as lizard skin before all the insulation material (overkill?) It gets really hot around here.

Any specific suggestions on upgraded fans and a fan shroud?

Thank you very much for your feedback

Back