Project Plan

Mitch Krause

Supporter
Since this is about an RCR GT40 kit build, I will put this in this forum.

OK, I can start by admitting that I have on occasion been accused of being too project focused, with that said, has anyone every put together a “project plan” for an RCR build?

I of course have RCR’s manual and Chuck and Ryan’s book, and there is some order indicated by those in certain situations, but they tend mostly towards a very high level (body, engine, interior, etc.) Many of the build logs have certain order’s implied and maybe even with careful reading of all, one could discern some things and avoid complications.

What I am trying to avoid is the “Oh, you really should have installed the gear shift assembly before you did the parking brake, because……”. Or the “you really need to install the heating assembly before you do the dash plenum because….”. Just a little bit more granular of a plan/order.

Basically trying to make sure the assembly/fabrication/fitting order is as efficient as possible, not sure I have found anything that is quite as proscriptive what I am describing.

Some days, it is nice to say “I only have a couple of hours, I will tap the cover for the battery today rather than paint the inside of the front clip”, and you can sequence the work based on time. Other days, I look at the list of the forty things I have thought about and wonder which to do next to be most efficient.

Anyone have suggestions, or am I overthinking it and taking things apart is a better learning experience?

It was a bit like when I built my launch, people ( and me) kept asking when it would be completed....I just kept on turning up to my shed and worked...until one day there was nothing to do so I launched it and yes you do have give careful consideration to the tasks in hand.
When building the boat, I had to do all the underfloor machinery installation an
long with all relevant systems before I put the floor bearers in and bonded the floor to the hull. You could still access via hatches but it would have been difficult to work around.

It was a bit like when I built my launch, people ( and me) kept asking when it would be completed....I just kept on turning up to my shed and worked...until one day there was nothing to do so I launched it and yes you do have give careful consideration to the tasks in hand.
When building the boat, I had to do all the underfloor machinery installation an
long with all relevant systems before I put the floor bearers in and bonded the floor to the hull. You could still access via hatches but it would have been difficult to work around.

I know a bit off subject but I would love some details on the launch. Built from plans? Any pictures or a web page with progress photos?

Tim
I will dig out some photos, It was a Salthouse Coastal 32 which I stretched to 35 foot by taking a mould off the rear, cutting and shaping it to run aft under the `new` duck board giving us a longer waterline length of 35 foot. And live bait tanks and storage. The only plan I got was a side view and a top view showing basic layout so did my own version but in the same style as the factory boats...they liked it so much that they began to build my version. I had the bare fibre glass hull and decks bonded and delivered home. 22 months later it was launched, big effort. Great sea boat.
Cheers

Back